Messaging on board with kids

Hi all - I tried to look this up but maybe I’m not using the right search terms. We will be sailing on the Jewel this summer to Alaska with our two teens, and other family members. We will be upgrading the FAS Wi-Fi minutes to unlimited for my husband and I only. We are trying to figure out if we will be able to communicate with our kids on board - I see the NCL app has a messaging feature (you have to pay for?). Will this work for the kids without Wi-Fi? Or am I missing some other option?

Do you all have iPhones?  Generally iMessage works even without internet.  Yes, the in-app messaging works without paying for internet (it's $10 per device).  You can connect to the WiFi without paying, it's getting 'outside' the ship that costs money.

We used it as an opportunity to get the 14yo off her devices, so we relied on “we are meeting at this time for dinner” or “if you want to go to the show, meet us in the room”. She wears a watch and is generally pretty responsible. She liked having the freedom and she said she really liked disconnecting from her devices (i know - weird kid).

The Wi-Fi was just glitchy enough that I think it would have been more frustrating than helpful to use the messaging. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2023 at 1:38 AM, Lazyhollow2013 said:

Thank you! Yes we all have iPhones. This helps tremendously!

The imessage loophole is very hit and miss sometimes working, sometimes not and sometimes partial messages getting through.

7 hours ago, SakeDad said:

Is it $10 per device for the entire cruise or per day??? If you have the PLUS with streaming wifi do you need to pay to text? We both have Androids.

If you have unlimited wifi I would use WhatsApp, you will be able to text and make calls over wifi and it won't matter if you have Apple or Android.
$10pp is for the entire cruise.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

If you have unlimited wifi I would use WhatsApp, you will be able to text and make calls over wifi and it won't matter if you have Apple or Android.
$10pp is for the entire cruise.

You're the first I've seen to say What's App. Thank you...that's perfect

• Thanks 1