Saint Greg's Venezia Transatlantic May 29, 2023

Saint Greg

On 6/8/2023 at 10:41 AM, sanmarcosman said:

For you Greg and others who may be interested the best history of the night in 1912 was written by Walter Lord and the 1954 movie was based on his book which Mr. Lord wrote after personally interviewing over 50 survivors of the sinking between 1949-1951. For most, their memory was still clear and the details they shared are described in the book. $1.99 on Amazon and worthwhile reading for anyone interested. I interviewed Mr. Lord in 1992 in his Park Avenue co-op for the 80th anniversary of the sinking. 

9781568656472-us.jpg

I picked this book up at the library today, crazy timing!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

I picked this book up at the library today, crazy timing!

I cherish my first edition copy that Mr. Lord signed for me. It was my favorite book in 7th grade. After Dr. Ballard discovered the wreck Walter Lord wrote a second updated version of the book based on evidence found by the dive team. It is called The Night Lives On and clears up many details e.g. Jack Thayer was correct when he said he saw the ship break apart in two just after the third funnel and the bow and stern went down separately. 

Sadly, the tragedy continues to this day. Superstitions ran high among some of the survivors interviewed by Mr. Lord.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I cherish my first edition copy that Mr. Lord signed for me. It was my favorite book in 7th grade. After Dr. Ballard discovered the wreck Walter Lord wrote a second updated version of the book based on evidence found by the dive team. It is called The Night Lives On and clears up many details e.g. Jack Thayer was correct when he said he saw the ship break apart in two just after the third funnel and the bow and stern went down separately. 

Sadly, the tragedy continues to this day. Superstitions ran high among some of the survivors interviewed by Mr. Lord.

I read your posts when Saint Greg was “cruising” by the site. I located the book at a library in the area and asked that I be able to pick it up at the library I frequent. It just became available today. It says “Copyright 1955 by Walter Lord.” Someone has written in ink “1998?” above the Copyright date. Why would someone do that?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Someone has written in ink “1998?” above the Copyright date. Why would someone do that?

I have no idea. I was taught never to write on a library book and not to fold down the corner of a page but to use a bookmark. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, cellfree said:

I read your posts when Saint Greg was “cruising” by the site. I located the book at a library in the area and asked that I be able to pick it up at the library I frequent. It just became available today. It says “Copyright 1955 by Walter Lord.” Someone has written in ink “1998?” above the Copyright date. Why would someone do that?

Possibly because the James Cameron movie "Titanic" was released December 19, 1997 and the person saw it in 1998 and was being a jerk by writing it in a book.  I grew up not hurting library books as well.  

• Like 5

On 6/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, sid_9169 said:

Currently not until the Tribe cruise on January 14 2023 with Jamman54, MeganGC1983, and a bunch of other CC members...

Pardon the sarcasm, but I must have missed the Live version.

I'll try again in 2024?

Sorry I can't go

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Did you use an app or website to see what the view would be from your seat at Hamilton?  Is that available for the Belk Theatre in Charlotte?  TIA!

I use two different sites. It looks like this one has it.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Belk+Theater/

This one does not.

https://seatplan.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey, Saint Greg!  I just booked the Venezia for 11/30.  Can you tell me if there is a bar onboard that makes a particularly good Bloody Mary?  I was spoiled on Panorama with the bm (?) from the Pig & Anchor bar…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

Hey, Saint Greg!  I just booked the Venezia for 11/30.  Can you tell me if there is a bar onboard that makes a particularly good Bloody Mary?  I was spoiled on Panorama with the bm (?) from the Pig & Anchor bar…

It’s just going to be your regular Bloody Mary at all bars on Venezia.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It’s just going to be your regular Bloody Mary at all bars on Venezia.

I wouldn’t even know which bar to get one from.  Bloody Mary doesn’t seem like an Amari, a Frizzante, a Rococo, or a Serenity bar drink.  What does that leave?  The atrium, the Burano and the Gondola bars?

6 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

I wouldn’t even know which bar to get one from.  Bloody Mary doesn’t seem like an Amari, a Frizzante, a Rococo, or a Serenity bar drink.  What does that leave?  The atrium, the Burano and the Gondola bars?

I got most of mine in the atrium. But I would say the only bar that doesn’t make them might be frizante. Maybe not Amari but I feel like I saw the bloody Mary mix out there once. Every other bar is just a regular bar. Rococo is just a regular pool bar with some frozen drink machines that barely got used when I was there. Definitely had a couple afternoon ones from Burano.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you know the Warwick NYC has a sister property in Dallas? Same owner who lives in Paris but born in Hong Kong. The Dallas property is the second to the last he purchased in the U.S. with Chicago being the last. Seattle opened in 1981. https://www.warwickhotels.com/warwick-melrose-dallas/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=seo

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 10:34 AM, Saint Greg said:

Right about here 

IMG_7236.thumb.jpeg.696094f204ea54beab10246c9d12038e.jpeg

I’m behind in my reading and at this point the debris from the submersible, Titan, have been found in this area. So sad that two sea tragedies occurred at that spot. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Do you know the Warwick NYC has a sister property in Dallas? Same owner who lives in Paris but born in Hong Kong. The Dallas property is the second to the last he purchased in the U.S. with Chicago being the last. Seattle opened in 1981. https://www.warwickhotels.com/warwick-melrose-dallas/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=seo

Better known to Dallascites as just "the Melrose"

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1