Fire aboard the Pacific Adventure

On 5/30/2023 at 11:20 AM, arxcards said:

I think it unlikely that the someone on FB was on the scene to witness it, so I will wait to hear what the cops and P&O have to say.

Sorry, I didn't quote enough of what you said. Totally agree. Also doubt that being a passenger on the same ship makes you a reliable source of information, unless you were actually in a room close to the fire and spoke to the passengers in that room or their steward.  Everything else is hearsay. The problem is that a theory gets passed on as fact, and then people say "but everyone is saying this happened this way", so that apparently makes it correct.

If someone was smoking in bed, why didn't the smoke alarms work before a full scale fire broke out?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mr walker said:

Spoke today with my colleague from work who was onboard, 2 decks below the fire. They had gone to bed at 12:30am to be awaken at 3:30am & were held at muster station until around 5:30. They decided not to go back to bed & kicked on.

Seems no investigation is necessary 😮as the experts on board have already spread the word. It is widely reported onboard that the fire started from a cigarette in the bed when the person fell asleep. They then opened the balcony door to try and stop the fire, which caused the fire to erupt.

Anyway, who knows what happened? 

My colleague advises that her partner on the cruise, on his first ever cruise, has categorically ruled out ever going on another cruise 🙂 

I understand I decided I’d never go on another multi language cruise after seeing staff loose control of a “mutiny” re passengers having to queue to go through Customs.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the 12 night cruise prior to this cruise, every morning found cigarette butts on our balcony as did the cabin next to us, reported it to guest services. Had an interesting chat with a passenger on her first cruise, she was leaning over her balcony having a cigarette when security knocked on her door! Apparently she was spotted by an Officer on the Bridge, given a warning. 

2 hours ago, marinating said:

We were on the 12 night cruise prior to this cruise, every morning found cigarette butts on our balcony as did the cabin next to us, reported it to guest services. Had an interesting chat with a passenger on her first cruise, she was leaning over her balcony having a cigarette when security knocked on her door! Apparently she was spotted by an Officer on the Bridge, given a warning. 

That is scary that someone could be so stupid.  

We were on the next cruise after the fire and on boarding day one of our room stewards gave us a safety lecture and tour of the cabin and reminded us that smoking was not allowed in the cabin or on the balcony.

Good to hear that they were reminding and warning people about smoking in rooms and on their balcony before the fire.

Anyone who claims they didn't know smoking in cabins and on the balcony of cabins is banned is either delusional or a total muppet. You can't smoke in the cruise terminal, Australian hotel rooms, restaurants, et al so why would anyone think it was acceptable to smoke anywhere on a cruise ship except in the designated smoking areas whether or not they have watched the safety video. Are we going to get to the point where 'no smoking' signs are installed in all cabins and balconies? It truly beggars belief.

And as a smoker, I'm not part of the anti smoking lobby. However, I do have some courtesy and common sense and am often appalled at the anti social behaviour of some people who think they can smoke anywhere at any time they like. This minority gives the rest of us a bad name and I can honestly see it resulting in a total smoking ban on cruise ships. If this happens, then so be it. Safety first.

You only have to look at the photos from 2006 of the Star Princess (now Pacific Encounter) to see the havoc caused by shipboard fires. I've read the official investigation report conducted at the time and it was determined that the most likely cause was a cigarette flicked over the side from one of the upper decks and being sucked back onto a lower balcony, exacerbated by the flammable nature of the balcony dividers, balcony furniture and the material used on the floor of the balconies at that time. From memory there was also a suggestion that there was a towel or clothing left on the balcony which smoldered for quite a while.

Ignorance is neither bliss nor an excuse in my opinion.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Anyone who claims they didn't know smoking in cabins and on the balcony of cabins is banned is either delusional or a total muppet. You can't smoke in the cruise terminal, Australian hotel rooms, restaurants, et al so why would anyone think it was acceptable to smoke anywhere on a cruise ship except in the designated smoking areas whether or not they have watched the safety video. Are we going to get to the point where 'no smoking' signs are installed in all cabins and balconies? It truly beggars belief.

And as a smoker, I'm not part of the anti smoking lobby. However, I do have some courtesy and common sense and am often appalled at the anti social behaviour of some people who think they can smoke anywhere at any time they like. This minority gives the rest of us a bad name and I can honestly see it resulting in a total smoking ban on cruise ships. If this happens, then so be it. Safety first.

You only have to look at the photos from 2006 of the Star Princess (now Pacific Encounter) to see the havoc caused by shipboard fires. I've read the official investigation report conducted at the time and it was determined that the most likely cause was a cigarette flicked over the side from one of the upper decks and being sucked back onto a lower balcony, exacerbated by the flammable nature of the balcony dividers, balcony furniture and the material used on the floor of the balconies at that time. From memory there was also a suggestion that there was a towel or clothing left on the balcony which smoldered for quite a while.

Ignorance is neither bliss nor an excuse in my opinion.

There are all sort of muppets on cruises. They live among us. 🙈🙉🙊

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They are first to complain when cruises ban smoking. 

The muppets that smoke would complain, but that would account for less than 1 in 5 cruise muppets.

In reality though, smoking will be banned on cruises at the same time that consuming alcohol is. If they can police the current rules and penalise those that don't comply, there is no issue.

I can't figure why there is still a ban smoking agenda linked to this anyway. The cause of the fire is still only being speculated, as any findings are yet to be communicated, if even completed. This stuff is important not to make-up your own cause. Yes, it could be caused by a muppet's ciggy butt, but could be much worse - an electrical fault in the cabin not caused by a muppet. That would be much more dangerous.

My latest theory is that someone was using a primus camp stove in their cabin to cook-up some poached eggs and a batch of hollandaise sauce.

Edited by arxcards
  • Haha 6