Fire aboard the Pacific Adventure

1 hour ago, cruisine21 said:

A fire started on decks 10 and 11 at 3:30am in the morning. The ship is near Batemans Bay. Apparently everyone is ok.

Can you see the ship Les?  I think a fire on board has to be the most scary thing!

Yes, I think it must be the ship's crews worst nightmare. We had a fire on Coral Princess in the Antarctic in January 2020 and I must say everything was handled very well with the captain providing us with updates on the situation about every 5/10 minutes. All in all it was handled very well. As the captain said 'this is what we train for'.

We've been on a couple of cruises where there has been a fire onboard. One was an engine room fire mid-evening - the captain's announcements kept interrupting the variety show that was on in the Vista Lounge. The other was in a room service galley on our deck in the sector next to ours in the middle of the night. Both were minor and dealt with very quickly but the second one was a bit scary. 

This also appears to be minor and be confined to a single balcony/cabin. Hopefully good management played a part. Scary, but not as scary as some of the news would suggest "Hundreds of passengers were pulled from their beds".

She is on a cruise to nowhere and could be drawing paperclips for the next couple of days, but it appears she is now on her way back to Sydney for inspection/repairs.

Well, it seems the problem came down to a cigarette that set a bed alight.

P&O should shoulder some of the blame for this.

I was on it last month & the first thing I noticed was the old safety drill of the past was completely gone.

On my previous 4 cruises, we had to attend a drill before the ship sailed.

At each drill, I can remember we were clearly told fire was serious & there was to be no smoking, no butts thrown into the sea. Nothing hung on balconies. Nothing but toilet paper in toilets etc etc

We were told that breaking the rules, especially with smoking, could see us put off at the next port.

None of that now. When you board, they suggest you watch a safety video once you board.

We didn't. I bet a lot of others didn't.

We skipped it as we have attended several in the past.

But I bet a lot of people who were on their first cruise skipped it too.Anything that is voluntary and not monitored is like that. I bet this passenger will claim he 'didn't know'.

The old way wasn't perfect either, with too many people crammed into spots and having to stand for the whole presentation.

Maybe they could have a compulsory attendance at 30 min intervals in the theatre, as people board, and people scan in on their cards.

Cruising standards oin P&O have gone downhill in a lot of departments. Safety drill, food, staff.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sherri3802 said:

When you board, they suggest you watch a safety video once you board.

We didn't. I bet a lot of others didn't.

On Princess, I found that you had to watch the safety video on the TV in your room. If you didn't, then the TV would not open up to anything else.  Of course, you could turn it on and ignore it, I suppose.

I keep thinking of the Costa Concordia before I consider skipping the safety drill requirements.  But then, I also check under my seat on planes to make sure there is actually a life jacket there......

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

On Princess, I found that you had to watch the safety video on the TV in your room. If you didn't, then the TV would not open up to anything else.  Of course, you could turn it on and ignore it, I suppose.

I keep thinking of the Costa Concordia before I consider skipping the safety drill requirements.  But then, I also check under my seat on planes to make sure there is actually a life jacket there......

We watch it while we're unpacking now. After six Princess cruises in the past year we're very familiar with it! 🤣

Unbelievable that someone would smoke in a cabin. Surely the smoke detectors would have picked that up? I hope that person gets banned from all the Carnival lines for life.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I just think that at the live demos, they seemed to make the point very clearly that smoking was not a minor misdemeanor. It was in your face & repeated, you couldn't miss it.

I am not sure how things worked with the TV in our room.

It is possible the safety video was on & I missed it, I don't know. The TV worked okay the rest of the trip. I was in and out of the room for a while. I was in a room for 4.

It's certainly more convenient as a video I suppose, but I am just not sure how many people on board would have watched it.

My bet is if someone was smoking (and it sounds as if that was the case) then the person will claim they thought it would be okay in the privacy of their room and must have missed that part of the video.

Some of the live demos were appalling. You were either lined up in very close contact on deck and often couldn't hear a word being said, or jammed into various parts within the ship, ofter having to stand for long periods while the latecomers arrived. With Covid still rampant in the community I'm glad we no longer have to endure that type of safety briefing any more.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

It's the same on P&O. However, whether or not you actually watch the video ......

A passenger said it was a cigarette, so it must be, and no further investigation by P&O or any other authority is needed. Smokers have been sprung flicking butts over the side of the ship back in the muster days too. Ignorance is ignorance, no matter how the message is delivered.

But yes, even a narcissistic aromatherapy candle user would trigger the smoke alarm. 3am on P&O, it might have just been a fraction too much friction.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, sherri3802 said:

I just think that at the live demos, they seemed to make the point very clearly that smoking was not a minor misdemeanor. It was in your face & repeated, you couldn't miss it.

I am not sure how things worked with the TV in our room.

It is possible the safety video was on & I missed it, I don't know. The TV worked okay the rest of the trip. I was in and out of the room for a while. I was in a room for 4.

It's certainly more convenient as a video I suppose, but I am just not sure how many people on board would have watched it.

My bet is if someone was smoking (and it sounds as if that was the case) then the person will claim they thought it would be okay in the privacy of their room and must have missed that part of the video.

On Princess, the Medallion app registers who is in the cabin when the safety video is playing. On one cruise I went off to do something while my husband was in the cabin watching the video. The system registered that I hadn't been in the cabin while it was playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

On Princess, the Medallion app registers who is in the cabin when the safety video is playing. On one cruise I went off to do something while my husband was in the cabin watching the video. The system registered that I hadn't been in the cabin while it was playing.

I also had a dud medallion. Worked at touch points, but wasn't transmitting, so I ended up sitting through the demo 3 times before I scored a tick.

Edited by arxcards

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Can you see the ship Les?  I think a fire on board has to be the most scary thing!

Bit early for me, but the ships sail past here 20 miles out, hard to see. On the trackers she looked to be around Eden this morning, probably turn around soon and head back to Sydney on the booze cruise.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

On FB nothing has been mentioned officially as a smoker caused the fire and a few passengers are saying it but it’s been mentioned it could have been an electrical fault

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I keep thinking of the Costa Concordia before I consider skipping the safety drill requirements.  But then, I also check under my seat on planes to make sure there is actually a life jacket there......pm

Thanks for the laugh.  I have never checked.

Costa Concordia has stayed with many of us.   

On my cruise from Italy to USA, our first port of call was in Puerto Rica.  There was a near mutiny by a number of passengers who didn't realise they had to go through Customs there, as first port of call in the USA.  It was very civilised originally with passengers sitting in a theatre and Customs Officers sitting behind tables on the stage.  Passengers were called by row until some decided to push in.  The Staff lost control and gave up and the Customs Officers left the Stage.  Trust an Aussie passenger to take control and firmly tell everyone to sit down or no-one would be getting off the ship!!  This was a five ? language ship to add to the confusion.  My instinct was I'd never want to be on a multi language ship in a real emergency. I am a nervous passenger at the best of times, so always check details of the Captain and officers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkmw said:

On FB nothing has been mentioned officially as a smoker caused the fire and a few passengers are saying it but it’s been mentioned it could have been an electrical fault

Indeed Bob, just hearsay.

Unless they were in the cabin, how would they know. Just a presumption on social media that a news site picks up on and runs with it. It is quite plausible, but there are many other possibilities.

As for anything official, what happened from that guy who fell from Quantum a few weeks back? Yep, that is how long official announcements take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Indeed Bob, just hearsay.

Unless they were in the cabin, how would they know. Just a presumption on social media that a news site picks up on and runs with it. It is quite plausible, but there are many other possibilities.

As for anything official, what happened from that guy who fell from Quantum a few weeks back? Yep, that is how long official announcements take.

Geoff the story was on the QLD 9 news and they said there’s 3000 passengers and 1000 crew and I didn’t know the Pacific Adventure held that many people and there was 4 cabins damaged 

• Like 1