Disembarking in Iceland

zackarykeef

For anyone who has done Iceland (or a cruise that has the last 2 days in the same port)…

We are considering booking an Iceland trip. The last two days are in Reykjavik (arrive 7am Wednesday, disembark 8am Thursday). Can you disembark any time? The flight back is 8:30am Thursday, so I’m wondering if we would be allowed to officially disembark early to make that flight. I know in places like Bermuda or other overnight stops you can come and go as you please while in port, but I’ve yet to take a cruise where the last stop is an overnight. Thank you!

We just got off the Prima cruise that ended in Iceland. We were supposed to overnight in Reykjavik and then disembark. Because of bad weather we only disembarked in Reykjavik and did not overnight. We arrived at 3am and disembarking started around 7. Some people had flights in the evening that we were supposed to overnight and missed them. I’m not sure about those who had flights the day we arrived. Disembarkation was a bit of a mess mostly caused by not enough people shoreside telling folks where to go. Bottlenecks of people just standing around waiting to be told where to go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone remember if the ship docked at Skarfabakki port?   Ncl web site lists that port, which is unfortunately far from my accomodation  🙂 

Edited by mpk

9 hours ago, mpk said:

Does anyone remember if the ship docked at Skarfabakki port?   Ncl web site lists that port, which is unfortunately far from my accomodation  🙂 

That is where we were at on Prima in September.  Again, a bit to the SE of the cruise building/souvenir center.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Star and were to overnight in Reyjakvik but then the Prima decided to do their big launch there and they shortened our cruise by a day 🤯.  So we disembarked the morning of arrival and had to pay for an additional hotel night.  Thanks, NCL for adding $275 + to out post cruise trip.

we had booked three days of tours with Nice Travels (great people, wonderful drivers and guides).  

KNOW THIS, whatever your plans are - cabs are few and far between, in part because iceland is very conscious of energy expenditure and utilize public transport of different varieties to the fullest extent possible.   While we were waiting for the tour bus to pick us up we watched the folks who had not prebooked transportation to the airport with astonishment. The cab line at one point had about 150 people in it and it moved at a snails pace.  The ship repeatedly told people to book an airport shuttle but we know how well people listen,so there were a bunch of gobsmacked people with flights who were most distressed.

if you are going to the airport, which is about 45 minutes from the pier (if I remember correctly) make arrangements before you get off the ship! 

there is only one cruise terminal so I do not remember the name.  It is a beautiful place.  We are returning in ‘25 to finish up a few places we missed on this trip.  Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

KNOW THIS, whatever your plans are - cabs are few and far between, in part because iceland is very conscious of energy expenditure and utilize public transport of different varieties to the fullest extent possible.   While we were waiting for the tour bus to pick us up we watched the folks who had not prebooked transportation to the airport with astonishment. The cab line at one point had about 150 people in it and it moved at a snails pace.  The ship repeatedly told people to book an airport shuttle but we know how well people listen,so there were a bunch of gobsmacked people with flights who were most distressed.

if you are going to the airport, which is about 45 minutes from the pier (if I remember correctly) make arrangements before you get off the ship! 

100% agree with this. Prebook your transportation. We were on the Star last summer, and disembarked in Reykjavik. Huge taxi line. We booked our taxi online a few days prior, and they were there on time, with our names on a sign. 

We stayed in Reykjavik for 3 days before the cruise. Buses are plentiful, easy, but do not run early on Sundays. When we called for a cab on Sunday morning, the cab driver asked when we wanted a taxi, we said now, and he goes "Ooo la la," laughed and hung up. We were able to get another taxi with another company.

Also, we do not recommend Greyline for transportation. I had to file a credit card dispute after the private shuttle that I booked for the airport to hotel transfer did not show up. They lied and said that they were there....they were not. Luckily, my credit card dispute was successful. 

• Like 2

On 6/1/2023 at 9:34 AM, crazycatlady82 said:

100% agree with this. Prebook your transportation. We were on the Star last summer, and disembarked in Reykjavik. Huge taxi line. We booked our taxi online a few days prior, and they were there on time, with our names on a sign. 

What company did you use to prebook your taxi for pickup @ the Skarfabakki cruise terminal? I contacted Hreyfill taxi and they said the do NOT do prebook pickup from the cruise terminal. We are looking to book a taxi for 3 to the city center (a guesthouse near the BSI bus terminal). 

As for transportation, there is of course the option of public transport. I haven't traveled there by cruise ship but according to Google Maps the regular bus stop is only about 500 meters from the terminal. I'm saying this fully aware that it's not an option for everyone but maybe for some.

10 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

What company did you use to prebook your taxi for pickup @ the Skarfabakki cruise terminal? I contacted Hreyfill taxi and they said the do NOT do prebook pickup from the cruise terminal. We are looking to book a taxi for 3 to the city center (a guesthouse near the BSI bus terminal). 

I don’t have the email saved anymore, but googling the companies, I believe it was BSR. 

10 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

If I recall, the ship had shuttles to the airport, as they do in most places.  I’m guessing they are more expensive than doing it yourself, but check with NCL and see.

NCL charges $75 per person for the transfers from the cruise terminal in Reykjavik to Keflavik airport. Much more expensive than finding another transfer company. 

21 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

NCL charges $75 per person for the transfers from the cruise terminal in Reykjavik to Keflavik airport. Much more expensive than finding another transfer company. 

So, I looked at my credit card statement. Interesting, we used Hreyfill for the taxi, so they must have changed their policies. However, that taxi ride was about $140 from the cruise port to the airport…so the transfer is similar price. 

18 minutes ago, crazycatlady82 said:

So, I looked at my credit card statement. Interesting, we used Hreyfill for the taxi, so they must have changed their policies. However, that taxi ride was about $140 from the cruise port to the airport…so the transfer is similar price. 

Thanks for checking your CC statement. I did contact Hreyfill to see if we could prebook pick from the cruise terminal to take us to the city center but they said, “Unfortunately, we are not able to take any pre-bookings from the Cruise Port, but there will be a taxi rank there with available cars.” Hopefully the wait @ the taxi stand won’t be too long! We are looking to take a taxi to the city center and then either the Flybus or a taxi to the airport later in the day. When I asked about the price for a taxi to the airport it was about $145 for the 3 of us. 

1 hour ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thanks for checking your CC statement. I did contact Hreyfill to see if we could prebook pick from the cruise terminal to take us to the city center but they said, “Unfortunately, we are not able to take any pre-bookings from the Cruise Port, but there will be a taxi rank there with available cars.” Hopefully the wait @ the taxi stand won’t be too long! We are looking to take a taxi to the city center and then either the Flybus or a taxi to the airport later in the day. When I asked about the price for a taxi to the airport it was about $145 for the 3 of us. 

Ah, there was 2 of us. Hopefully the wait isn’t too long! I’d contact BSR to see, and even though I don’t recommend Greyline personally, some people had good experiences with them. 

We loved Reykjavik-very friendly people. I hope you all have a great time!

This thread has useful information. I’ve booked the NCL shuttle for airport transportation in Reykjavik because of the early departure flight time. I’m  feeling that this was a good decision. I’m amazed  that NCL air says three and half hours from docking to plane departure is enough time!  Guess we will see!

22 minutes ago, crazycatlady82 said:

Ah, there was 2 of us. Hopefully the wait isn’t too long! I’d contact BSR to see, and even though I don’t recommend Greyline personally, some people had good experiences with them. 

We loved Reykjavik-very friendly people. I hope you all have a great time!

Thank you, we are looking forward to Reykjavik. We have a flight @ 5PM the same day we depart the cruise so we are looking to kill some time in the city of Reykjavik instead of sitting at the airport for hours. Any recommendations? We will be with our 11 year old son! I did send a message to BSR, waiting on their response. 

Happy Fool:

I agree with you.  3/12 hours from docking to flight departure does not seem enough time, especially when it takes 45 minutes to get to the airport.  NCL booked us on a 10 AM flight s we had thought about taking an NCL transfer.   However, I am wondering if a pre-booked taxi would be a better choice than an NCL transfer since you have to wait at the port for the bus to be filled before they leave. 

I agree with DEL, when we have used the cruise ship transfers you can sit for a long time before departing.  The drive is about 45 minutes, I think, and the check in at the airport was very slow.  Seems we had to go through two security checkpoints and it moved slowly.

We have a 10 am flight. I called NCL Air about this and was told 3.5 hours was their minimum.  Guess I should be glad we have 4 hours. A big part of my reason for booking NCL transfers is at least I’ll have them to blame if it doesn’t work out. 

The good news is,bat least on our sailing we were off the ship reallly early.  Seems like it was before 6:30.   That may be that most of the outbound flights from Reykjavik are 10-11 am and they want to get people to the airport.   Good luck and enjoy Iceland, it is indeed a mystical place.

19 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you, we are looking forward to Reykjavik. We have a flight @ 5PM the same day we depart the cruise so we are looking to kill some time in the city of Reykjavik instead of sitting at the airport for hours. Any recommendations? We will be with our 11 year old son! I did send a message to BSR, waiting on their response. 

We also have a 5 PM flight, and are wondering the same thing.

22 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

We had a 4:45pm flight, but with the distance from the airport to the city, we chose to sit at the airport…especially with the price of a taxi. There are luggage lockers there but it might be better to look for a private tour with the time crunch. 

We only sat there for 3 hrs before checkin, and there was a lot of others doing the same. 

2 hours ago, crazycatlady82 said:

We had a 4:45pm flight, but with the distance from the airport to the city, we chose to sit at the airport…especially with the price of a taxi. There are luggage lockers there but it might be better to look for a private tour with the time crunch. 

We only sat there for 3 hrs before checkin, and there was a lot of others doing the same. 

I have a feeling that that is what we will end up doing with our 5 PM flight time. Not the greatest option, but at least a somewhat more acceptable one since we have previously been in Reykjavik on a land trip as well as having the day before as an overnight on the cruise.