Q&A with your Cellar Master

bigAWL

I'm seeing this Q&A on the Day 1 schedule of recent Eclipse sailings (not sure if it's only the Eclipse, but I didn't see it on the current Solstice or Equinox sailing).

Is this a useful time to ask about the wines available by the glass in the classic and premium packages?  Any chance they would offer samples?

Otherwise, we have first-night dinner scheduled in Tuscan Grill.  Would the serving staff there provide samples so we can figure out which glasses we like and don't like?  I'd rather not order full glasses and send them back to try something else (even though they are included with the package).

Unfortunately you are not going to find the full range available in any one location, and availability will vary from day to day.

I would suggest you just ask for a small sample when you order if you are concerned about the wastage.

On Eclipse I would suggest you try 'Cellar Masters' as that location is more likely to have a wider range, but there is no guarantee that any particular wine you choose will be available in the MDR or Tuscan for example...

Edited by Mark_T

I would go to the ensemble lounge during the first day or some other bar and ask sit at bar and ask for a sample of wines that are classic for that cruise. If you are thinking that there are many choices you are wrong. There is usually only one Chardonnay, one cab, etc of each type grape in each lounge or restaurant. In dinning rooms sometime the sommelier can give you something else, their choice. Usually the chard is Seekers red wines vary each cruise but you never know what could change. 

One suggestion though do not ask for samples first night in the dinner rooms, they are swamped and do not have time. Thats why I said at a bar the first day. 

6 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The Q&A is with being held with a person, the Cellar Master.  

Have you experienced this Q&A?  The schedule says it is held at "Cellar Masters," where I assume the wine selection is largest (maybe a misconception?).  Do you think that person, the "Cellar Master," offers samples from the wine packages during the Q&A?

Edited by bigAWL

11 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

I would go to the ensemble lounge during the first day or some other bar and ask sit at bar and ask for a sample of wines that are classic for that cruise. If you are thinking that there are many choices you are wrong. There is usually only one Chardonnay, one cab, etc of each type grape in each lounge or restaurant. In dinning rooms sometime the sommelier can give you something else, their choice. Usually the chard is Seekers red wines vary each cruise but you never know what could change. 

One suggestion though do not ask for samples first night in the dinner rooms, they are swamped and do not have time. Thats why I said at a bar the first day. 

Thanks for the tip about busy servers during first dinner.  Is Tuscan Grill busier on day one than other days?  Asking at the bars works too.  Would that extend to Cellar Masters?  I would think they have the biggest selection available... or would that be a misconception?

First night is busy everywhere.  Cellar masters may have more time but not always a good place. It all depends on sommelier on duty. I have found a good sommelier at dinner is best place to try different wines. They can give you anything if they are enjoying your company. Just be patient and ask them you would like to try wines. Ask when not busy after their initial service. 

2 hours ago, bigAWL said:

Have you experienced this Q&A?  The schedule says it is held at "Cellar Masters," where I assume the wine selection is largest (maybe a misconception?).  Do you think that person, the "Cellar Master," offers samples from the wine packages during the Q&A?

I would not expect samples .  It is a question and answer event, not a tasting

13 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

I have found a good sommelier at dinner is best place to try different wines. They can give you anything if they are enjoying your company.

Not in the MDR though, there are few of them on duty and they are run ragged just getting one glass filled in front of each customer...

Also they do tend to limit the choices available each day for speed of service delivery...

There was one scheduled on a cruise we were on to be to come and learn about beer.   I went to Cellar Masters and nothing was happening.  I asked the Bartender and he said what do you want to know?   He said there is no demonstration or talk just ask me about the beers we have and gave me a menu.  He said it was just a promo to make passengers know about the bar and what it offers.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Thanks for the input everyone.  I suppose the four people in my party who are 21+ can each order a different glass, and we can sample on our own.