NCL Train to Berlin

tony s

We are taking the NCL chartered Berlin train in August from Wannamunde. Does anyone recall the time of departure and arrival in Berlin along with departure time and what station used as we are trying to plan tours and meal. Thanks 

Honestly, I wouldn't plan much of anything that can't be flexible with timing.  When I did a ship excursion from Warnemunde into Berlin years ago, we encountered unexpected delays on the train on the way in.  There was a malfunction in the system somewhere.  Our train stopped entirely for at least 20 minutes.  We ended up going to a different station than was originally planned.  They had a bus meet the train upon arrival.  I think this was part of the planned transit even if on-time.  The bus then took us into a central Berlin location for drop off.  We were given about 6 hours on the ground and had to meet the bus at that same location for the return trip.  It was all very fluid.  You are not put on a regular train that has a fixed travel schedule.  You are essentially on a private train that does what it can to provide the service.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tony s said:

We are taking the NCL chartered Berlin train in August from Wannamunde. Does anyone recall the time of departure and arrival in Berlin along with departure time and what station used as we are trying to plan tours and meal. Thanks 

As @MeHeartCruising pointed out, you will be on a private train, not a regularly scheduled one, so expect delays.  On our first visit to Warnemunde, our ship's departure was delayed for more than an hour as we waited for the train to return from Berlin with several hundred passengers.  The train takes about 2-1/2 hours each way.  If the tour is planned for six hours of free time in Berlin, that makes for an awfully long day.  I realize that Berlin is a bucket list destination, but it deserves more than a half day to see it all.  My suggestion would be to visit Rostock, instead.  It's a lovely town with lots to see and do, about 15 to 20 minutes from the dock.  You can take a train from the station right next to the pier in Warnemunde.  There also are bus tours available through NCL or private tour providers which stop at the downtown area as well as a nearby castle.  Save Berlin for another time when you can spend several days there.

• Thanks 1

Depending on your ship there can be issues docking at Warnemunde. There is a narrow channel access and if the wind is too strong from the wrong direction it can delay docking. I don’t think they use Warnemunde for embarkation anymore so if there are issues with the wind they could skip the port. If you are booking anything with a 3rd party provider make sure their cancellation policy allows for not making port. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Depending on your ship there can be issues docking at Warnemunde. There is a narrow channel access and if the wind is too strong from the wrong direction it can delay docking. I don’t think they use Warnemunde for embarkation anymore so if there are issues with the wind they could skip the port. If you are booking anything with a 3rd party provider make sure their cancellation policy allows for not making port. 

Thanks for the update.  I didn't realize that there was a wind problem.  We have been there twice and the only issue we encountered was a delayed departure while waiting on a late train returning from Berlin.  I also did not realize that Warnemunde had ever been used for embarkation.  I only recall seeing it used as an interim port of call, not a starting or ending port for a cruise.  Thanks again for the info.

37 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This is interesting because there is an old saying "runs like a German railroad."  Historically, German railways were renowned for always being on schedule.  Times change....

Heaven is where the cooks are French, the police are English, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and everything is organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the cooks are English, the police are German, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss and everything is organized by the Italians.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

As @MeHeartCruising pointed out, you will be on a private train, not a regularly scheduled one, so expect delays.  On our first visit to Warnemunde, our ship's departure was delayed for more than an hour as we waited for the train to return from Berlin with several hundred passengers.  The train takes about 2-1/2 hours each way.  If the tour is planned for six hours of free time in Berlin, that makes for an awfully long day.  I realize that Berlin is a bucket list destination, but it deserves more than a half day to see it all.  My suggestion would be to visit Rostock, instead.  It's a lovely town with lots to see and do, about 15 to 20 minutes from the dock.  You can take a train from the station right next to the pier in Warnemunde.  There also are bus tours available through NCL or private tour providers which stop at the downtown area as well as a nearby castle.  Save Berlin for another time when you can spend several days there.

This...... good advice!

2 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

This...... good advice!

Thanks but really want Berlin. I have not been since 1987 and my wife has never seen. That’s why we will suck up cost and take charter train. But for those interested found a great free walking tour and a brewery near main train station with great lunch per a German friend 

1 hour ago, tony s said:

Thanks but really want Berlin. I have not been since 1987 and my wife has never seen. That’s why we will suck up cost and take charter train. But for those interested found a great free walking tour and a brewery near main train station with great lunch per a German friend 

I don’t disagree with going into Berlin.  As I said above I chose to do the train trip.  I don’t regret my decision. I had a good day.  But the timing did not go according to plan.  Hence my advice to not have too much planned based on specific times.  If it’s a free walking tour, then that’s not much of a monetary commitment being made.  Enjoy your day!

7 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

This was exactly our thinking when we did it. Rostock was interesting and fun, 5 hours round trip to Berlin to spend a few hours there? No freaking thanks! We will just plan a stopover there on a future European trip. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tony s said:

That really makes sense if it is your only opportunity to see Berlin.  I just hope the cruiselines put either a sea day or an easier touring day the next day since it would be really tiring.  There's a lot to see in Copenhagen and Stockholm and Tallin, so hopefully they can separate those from Germany.  

18 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Happened to us, August 2018 on Breakaway we were several hours late returning because of train issues. Berlin is one area to stick with NCL tours so you don’t get left behind

• Like 1

We put that run in the suck them in list.

Cruise lines add headline places to get people to book

Paris from Le Havre(Princess added that to round Britain cruises)

London from Southampton(for those where Southampton is not a changeover day)

Berlin from Wannamunde

others ports with headline places that are quite a distance some over an hour.

Livorno   Florence 

Civitavecchia  Rome

Greenock Glasgow

Piraeus    Athens

Cadiz Saville

Aqaba Petra

Aleandria Cairo

Haifa Bethlehem

IJmuiden Amsterdam

Are a few of the top of my head

we can now add

Venice from  XXX  as a lot of ships no longer go to Venice 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tony s said:

If you do get to Berlin, do the Hop On Hop Off.  Stay on for the entire loop ( do not get off and explore).  That way, if you run out of time, at least you saw the sites of Berlin.  

Definitely go to Berlin.  One of best places we've been to.  We did it via private tour with four of us plus lady and son in a van.  Wasn't super cheap but worth every penny.

Saw lots, had lunch, driver knew secret bathroom spots.

We gave some consideration to making the trek to Berlin.  Then I saw the excursion prices and realized that we could spend a couple of days in Berlin after the cruise for that kind of money and have a much better time.  We're retired so I'm aware this would not work for everyone but, if you have a few extra days, it is way more bang for the buck.

• Like 1

we have been to Berlin 3 times

twice we booked private tour with tour company and was fantastic with air conditioned vehicle whcih was not case with ship tour chartered train which apparantly was hot and stuffy

we had no worries with missing ship-our comapny guaranteed travel to next port in case of dalys[which they report have never had to do]

3rd time we spent  a few days in Berlin prior to cruise which we embarked in Warnemunde-didnt enjoy crowded train from Berlin to Rostock and that was a sheduled train! 

8 hours ago, insidecabin said:

We put that run in the suck them in list.

Cruise lines add headline places to get people to book

Paris from Le Havre(Princess added that to round Britain cruises)

London from Southampton(for those where Southampton is not a changeover day)

Berlin from Wannamunde

others ports with headline places that are quite a distance some over an hour.

Livorno   Florence 

Civitavecchia  Rome

Greenock Glasgow

Piraeus    Athens

Cadiz Saville

Aqaba Petra

Aleandria Cairo

Haifa Bethlehem

IJmuiden Amsterdam

Are a few of the top of my head

we can now add

Venice from  XXX  as a lot of ships no longer go to Venice 

Some of these city pairs make for a more difficult connection than others.  Piraeus to Athens, for example, is usually a fairly easy commute of under a half hour.  The traffic between Livorno and Florence, however, can be a real bear of a drive.  It takes about 90 minutes at best, but can run up to two hours each way when the traffic is heavy. 

venice to trieste is slightly over an hour. btw trieste itself is a beautiful port city. last year we stayed in venice for 3 days prior to the cruise, hired a shuttle to drive us to trieste, spent a night in an amazing hotel, and the next morning a shuttle bus as there waiting to take us directly to the ship, only about15 minutes. in the past we have also hired a cab in civitavecchia to drive us to rome, around the citry and back, and also in liverno to pisa .

we also hired a can from the dock in naples to the amalfi coats. t was on my bucket list.

Last summer we were on the Dawn, and our first port after embarcation was Warmunde. We were ready to go, got off the ship the first thing, took the train into Berlin with absolutely no issues.  (The local strain station you can see from the dock, not a ship organized tour.)

We took ourselves on a walking tour of Berlin using the free Rick Steves app.  It was awesome, and exhausting.

Got back to the train station with PLENTY of time.  Somehow didn't understand an announcement or something and missed our train, we were at the wrong place. 🤷

It was the last train that would make it back in time.  Couldn't get a taxi to take us out to Warmunde.  (Shocking, right? Taxi didn't want to go 3 hours out of their way?) Eventually got an Uber to accept the ride.  All was good, we were on schedule to make the port by B.O.B.

Then there was a single car accident on the Autobahn.  Completely differently than would happen here in California, EVERYONE pulled over, no one tried to move around the accident. 40 nail biting minutes later emergency services arrived, set up the cones and waved people around the accident.

Now maps is showing us arriving like 20 minutes late for B.O.B. 😳

Thankfully, even though we were late, the gangplank was still down and we were able to get back aboard.  Listening to the crew taking who checked us in, there was still one more family not yet on board.  As a matter of fact, the ship didn't leave for about another hour.

By the way, the Uber from the Berlin train station to the docks was about $250, if I recall correctly. Still cheaper, (and much more stressful) than the Ship's expedition.