Why I Love Silversea Air!

boccenana

13 hours ago, toolworker said:

Why I Hate Silversea Air (Spoiler alert: Price gouging)

We're saving $2,900pp by booking our own refundable Business air.

On our cruise to Asia, Silversea purports to offer "Business Class upgrade at reduced rates." Their idea of reduced rates is a $7,000pp supplement.

I booked us on EVA Air for about $5,600pp, refundable less about $150pp, saving $2,900pp including the $1,500 Economy air allowance.

We could have saved more if Silversea had offered Port-to-Port on our itinerary. But they don't.

They offered us very high prices for BC upgrade to Dubai last year. But the upgrade to Europe for the next year is very reasonable, lower than we could book on our own. So maybe it depends on the region?

Of course it remains to be seen what flights they will offer. Anyone has experience with flights from Toronto? Do they use Air Canada and direct flights? 

Edited by ak1004

We, too, always booked our own business class air with miles.  As you all know mileage flights have gotten more expensive (thinking Delta skypesos in particular) and good routes harder to find.  Easy to find multiple stops with multiple classes or 40 minute connections which we do not want.

SS gave us such an amazing deal from Heathrow to Tucson in business class that I asked my TA to get it in writing as it seemed too good to be true.

London to Denver - Delta One

Denver to Tucson - Delta First

$599 per person

Doesn't get better than that.

My advice:  check it out -- might be a good option.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Of course it remains to be seen what flights they will offer. Anyone has experience with flights from Toronto? Do they use Air Canada and direct flights? 

They do use Air Canada as they have me on Air Canada to Montreal from Lisbon at the end of an Oct. Nova cruise. There are no nonstops Lisbon to Houston so the Air Canada is as good as any flights. Since Houston is a United hub, being on a Star Alliance line will allow me to get useful miles.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:10 AM, bobolz said:

Flyer 

the risk with doing it on your own is having to pay out of pocket for the BC ticket 220 + days in advance (a non refundable ticket ) versus SS booking it 220 days in advance for sometimes $1000-$1500 less for BC and refundable up to 60 days out(or whenever they ticket it) which provides flexibility  if there are any changes to itinerary or I decide to make a change  due to unforeseen circumstances.

The risk of doing it yourself is that it could go wrong with a change of embarkation/debarkation port, change of itinerary or even change to dates.   It is often, but not always less expensive to take the SS offering and pay the BC upgrade but you are hostage to fortune in that you are then at the mercy of their providing you with flights, timings, airlines and transfers you dont want.   If you do the flights yourself you have control, if you hunt around a bit (not difficult) you can often get very good deals and you do of course get the non use air credit from Silversea which you can use to offset the cost.   Travel insurance should cover last minute unexpected illness and several different types of events which might prevent you from travelling but doesnt, of course, cover "disinclination to travel" ie you just changing your mind.   For my last trip from UK to South America for the Galapagos I looked at the SS costings, I costed the flights booked through BA and Iberia and then at KLM.   I was obliged to travel through Amsterdam but would have had to travel through Madrid on BA/Iberia and with the non use air credit applied to the total flight cost it all came in slightly less than the SS offering.   I was very happy with our choices and enjoyed our flight on KLM which was very comfortable even on one on their older aircraft.   If you are not time constrained a minor deviation if ports/itineraries change is not likely to be too difficult to overcome.  Travel is an adventure and long may it remain so.

3 hours ago, bitob said:

We, too, always booked our own business class air with miles.  As you all know mileage flights have gotten more expensive (thinking Delta skypesos in particular) and good routes harder to find.  Easy to find multiple stops with multiple classes or 40 minute connections which we do not want.

SS gave us such an amazing deal from Heathrow to Tucson in business class that I asked my TA to get it in writing as it seemed too good to be true.

$599 per person

We also got some great flights, one last year  put us on Emirates coming back from Dubai fantastic.

We also have the Delta One returning from Lisbon this November.

Seems we get the best of the best returning to Tucson International than going out.

All part of living in paradise.🫠

So far no real complaints.

A perfect flight itinerary these days isn't easy. Logistics must be a nightmare for SS Air. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it until I have a reason not to. 

Elaine 😎 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bitob said:

$599 per person

We are on the Wind now and did an onboard booking to Australia and New Zealand.  The future cruise rep told me that SS is able to get very attractive business fares to Europe.  However, Australia is a different story.  The business upgrade for us is $6998 p.p.!  Also, if we do our own air and take the $2500 air credit, we lose transfers and hotel.

3 hours ago, LAexNY said:

We are on the Wind now and did an onboard booking to Australia and New Zealand.  The future cruise rep told me that SS is able to get very attractive business fares to Europe.  However, Australia is a different story.  The business upgrade for us is $6998 p.p.!  Also, if we do our own air and take the $2500 air credit, we lose transfers and hotel.

Dave:  for my ss Alaska cruise I am doing my own air because ss is not offering first class. I am able to purchase transfer and hotel separately as package. 

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Dave:  for my ss Alaska cruise I am doing my own air because ss is not offering first class. I am able to purchase transfer and hotel separately as package. 

We will check all the options when it’s time. 17 months away. 

On 6/21/2023 at 6:45 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Hope you get the Hello Kitty aircraft.

On 6/21/2023 at 6:48 PM, QueSeraSera said:

B-16703 - Eva Air Boeing 777-300ER at Paris - Charles de Gaulle | Photo ...

Wow - awesome! Unfortunately, those planes currently fly from Taipei only to Bali, Sapporo and Chicago. But I'll watch their Hello Kitty routes page in case that changes.

BTW if you're interested in EVA Air - which is Star Alliance and rated 5* by Skytrax - booking online is easy, but to cancel or change call their Taipei Hotline during office hours Taipei time. They have excellent agents fluent in English. Don't bother with any U.S. numbers.

On 6/23/2023 at 9:38 AM, toolworker said:

Wow - awesome! Unfortunately, those planes currently fly from Taipei only to Bali, Sapporo and Chicago. But I'll watch their Hello Kitty routes page in case that changes.

BTW if you're interested in EVA Air - which is Star Alliance and rated 5* by Skytrax - booking online is easy, but to cancel or change call their Taipei Hotline during office hours Taipei time. They have excellent agents fluent in English. Don't bother with any U.S. numbers.

EVA Air business class was terrific.  Great airline

Just now, ak1004 said:

How long in advance do SS offer the flights? Our cruise is May 6 2024.

Also, do we need to let them know in advance that we want to fly 2 nights before?

270 days in advance. Send them your top 2-3 choices for hopefully better routing and quicker response. 

Yes, but I think they will charge a “deviation fee”.  It’s not much. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gcornell said:

270 days in advance. Send them your top 2-3 choices for hopefully better routing and quicker response. 

Yes, but I think they will charge a “deviation fee”.  It’s not much. 

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the deviation fee - $150 I believe?

But my understanding is that if you book the pre cruise hotel with them, they might waive the deviation fee?

28 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the deviation fee - $150 I believe?

But my understanding is that if you book the pre cruise hotel with them, they might waive the deviation fee?

Not if you book 1 day ahead of their normal 3 day stay, as I've just found out.

We wanted 4 days pre-cruise in Lisbon, and had to book the 1st hotel day ourselves and had to pay the $150 deviation fee.  No big deal, but annoying all the same.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are boarding the Silver Nova on Aug. 21, 2023 (second official cruise for Nova) in Venice. We booked D2D (Bus Air) and originally flew to Heathrow and then on to Venice. I try to avoid Heathrow for connections whenever possible, but such is life. A few days ago, I got a new routing from SS and now we are connecting in Philadelphia with a direct flight to Venice. We are flying out of Tucson AZ. Post Covid, this is our third D2D with SS business air. So far, I love the SS Air desk. The return is easy going Florence, Paris, LAX and then Tucson. I can hardly wait to see the Nova in person!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Tucson Guy said:

We are boarding the Silver Nova on Aug. 21, 2023 (second official cruise for Nova) in Venice. We booked D2D (Bus Air) and originally flew to Heathrow and then on to Venice. I try to avoid Heathrow for connections whenever possible, but such is life. A few days ago, I got a new routing from SS and now we are connecting in Philadelphia with a direct flight to Venice. We are flying out of Tucson AZ. Post Covid, this is our third D2D with SS business air. So far, I love the SS Air desk. The return is easy going Florence, Paris, LAX and then Tucson. I can hardly wait to see the Nova in person!!!

So excited for you Tucson Guy... and Gal I would assume.

We are D2D on the Nova in October. 

Did you get Blacklane Limo Service or were you reimbursed as they do not service Tucson International Airport?

Elaine 

11 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I got reimbursed since we have no Blacklane in our sleepy little town of Tucson- darm!!

Same here. You forgot we are from Oro Valley huh?

I wonder if anyone knows how much of a passenger count would be needed for Blacklane to service Tucson International?

I always compare the cost of a cruise line's air and upgrades, versus what I can arrange on my own. Our next SS cruise is to Japan next April and I was able to arrange a much better deal flying through Chicago and onwards to Tokyo with points on JAL than the CDN$10,000 per person it would have cost with SS. Same with our cruise in October with Seabourn from Barbados to Manaus. The last time I found a better air deal from a cruise line was in 2011 with Regent to Australia.  

How do I have so many airline points? I put every expense I can on my credit cards that are affiliated with either Star Alliance or One World. I also buy points when they are on sale with a bonus of 75% to 100% more points, making them very cost effective.  How do my points go so far? I arbitrage different airlines point schedules and look for bargains and special offers. Most of this I learned from reading articles on different websites like the Points Guy.

I know that most people don't want to put this much effort into finding less expensive flights that what cruise lines offer, but those that do may save enough money to pay for another cruise or two!

I just opted out of our included Business class air on our GV. (it will cost us a little more but with the cost of GV it will hardly be noticeable or we will use miles)

We just disembarked from the QM2 transatlantic. We were 9 hours late due to a diversion for a medical evacuation. As a result most of us missed our flights. We had booked our own air. I was able to rebook for the next day and book an airport hotel. Others we knew on the ship had Cunard air (I realize it is a different and bigger cruise line) and were rebooked by the ship staff, the logistics were awful for most (overnighting at Kennedy for an early flight out of LaGaurdia, another example was overnighting for 2 nights at Kennedy to fly to Ohio from NYC). Maybe I am just a control freak but I am happier knowing I am in the driver's seat if anything goes sideways. 

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

I always compare the cost of a cruise line's air and upgrades, versus what I can arrange on my own. Our next SS cruise is to Japan next April and I was able to arrange a much better deal flying through Chicago and onwards to Tokyo with points on JAL than the CDN$10,000 per person it would have cost with SS. Same with our cruise in October with Seabourn from Barbados to Manaus. The last time I found a better air deal from a cruise line was in 2011 with Regent to Australia.  

How do I have so many airline points? I put every expense I can on my credit cards that are affiliated with either Star Alliance or One World. I also buy points when they are on sale with a bonus of 75% to 100% more points, making them very cost effective.  How do my points go so far? I arbitrage different airlines point schedules and look for bargains and special offers. Most of this I learned from reading articles on different websites like the Points Guy.

I know that most people don't want to put this much effort into finding less expensive flights that what cruise lines offer, but those that do may save enough money to pay for another cruise or two!

I totally agree with you Dave.

If I had the time, amount of credit cards and were younger, I too would find better deals. Been there, done that.

But alas.....we are 79 and 81 years old. You would never know it of course. 🤭

We want as many long cruises with new  itineraries and fun people as we can squeeze in while we are still upright. 🙃

I am usually pretty stressed out the weeks before we cruise, preparing to be away for a month, packing, arranging medications etc.

I don't want DH to be lifting heavy baggage anymore. 

The many hours it takes to reach some of our destinations, no matter how perfect the flights are never easy on we silver haired devils.

So.....in our case, we put our faith in Silversea. For good or for bad.

So far it's been pretty darn good.

Never enough pampering for Madame. 

Elaine 😎 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I got reimbursed since we have no Blacklane in our sleepy little town of Tucson- darm!!

4 hours ago, boccenana said:

Same here. You forgot we are from Oro Valley huh?

Blacklane does service Tucson and Oro Valley - to PHX.  Not to TUS.  And FWIW, the Blacklane rate to PHX was exorbitant when some of my Arizona friends wanted to book through them.

4 hours ago, boccenana said:

I wonder if anyone knows how much of a passenger count would be needed for Blacklane to service Tucson International?

Irrelevant.

Since Blacklane is merely a portal for limo companies, the underlying requirement would be that there be a limo company of sufficient size that regularly services TUS, AND would be interested in a contract with Blacklane.  i suspect that any local companies there already have their own methods for customer acquisition and don't need a Blacklane connection contract.