Covid protocols, what to expect currently

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm on Caribbean Princess in Sept and it will be my 4 years deferred 1st cruise (postponed twice for covid beyond my control,  then family emergency in 2022). I used to be very worried about what would happen if I got quarantined but things seem a lot better now in many ways. Mostly that I won't need to test unless I actually get sick. I'm assuming that if I did get sick and was positive I'd be quarantined in a special area of the ship for that until the end if the cruise. My cruise is 10 days. Thanks for any info on how anything is going with covid in recent times. I'm planning to take precautions like wiping down my cabin with clorox wipes when I first arrive, frequent hand washing, etc. These are the same precautions I'd do to prevent things like norovirus anyway. 

Those with COVID can now isolate in their own cabins.

I don't know what happens if 1 person is positive and the other is negative, if a person has the option to move to a different cabin. Though some cruises are sailing full these days so it may not be an option.

• Like 1

I got Covid for the 2nd time in March for 6 days. I isolated in my own cabin with room service from the MDR. Wife was negative and able to go about ship but they wanted her to take her meals with me. That was better than August when we were both hustled down to Covid jail on Dolphin deck

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, memoak said:

I got Covid for the 2nd time in March for 6 days. I isolated in my own cabin with room service from the MDR. Wife was negative and able to go about ship but they wanted her to take her meals with me. That was better than August when we were both hustled down to Covid jail on Dolphin deck

Got Covid 2x on Princess. That is not good...... Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Oh I have friends who have never been on a cruise at all and have had it 3 times.  Just part of life today   If you feel sick then test and isolate till you feel better just like the flu

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Sailing today on the Discovery. My doctor says I should be full of antibodies so all should be good. Last time only had a fever for 1day much better than the first one 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Sailing today on the Discovery. My doctor says I should be full of antibodies so all should be good. Last time only had a fever for 1day much better than the first one 

That is one benefit from having COVID recently.

• Like 1

Covid is still real and alive, but practically everyone on the ship no longer care about it. Mask wearing is rare, coughing is common, and I wouldn't be surprised that people who test positive continue to roam about the ship.

• Like 6

I do believe that propel who test positive should wear masks but these days I really see it no different than someone with the flu, rsv or some other virus. They continue to roam around. Continuing to quarantine is just not right anymore. Most people who have received vaccines will not require hospitalization and this who have no vaccines know the risks. Covid has become like many other illnesses. Be respectful of others by not spreading any germs and continue in your way. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, memoak said:

I got Covid for the 2nd time in March for 6 days. I isolated in my own cabin with room service from the MDR. Wife was negative and able to go about ship but they wanted her to take her meals with me. That was bette?r than August when we were both hustled down to Covid jail on Dolphin deck

What rooms on Dolphin deck did they use?  We will be in 2 cabins on Dolphin deck, so will our rooms be previous infected rooms? 

2 hours ago, Nightowl11 said:

What rooms on Dolphin deck did they use?  We will be in 2 cabins on Dolphin deck, so will our rooms be previous infected rooms? 

You can be sure that if you are in a previously infected room your room is now probably the cleanest room 0n the ship./

DON

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, danny6514 said:

Covid is still real and alive, but practically everyone on the ship no longer care about it. Mask wearing is rare, coughing is common, and I wouldn't be surprised that people who test positive continue to roam about the ship.

They don't, people just carry on as normal. 

16 hours ago, Nightowl11 said:

They no longer set up isolation wards you isolate in your own cabin and when you are released the haz mat team changes everything out. If you are concerned about Covid in a cabin 6 months ago don’t be

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2023 at 12:07 PM, memoak said:

All the more reason to avoid reporting to sick bay.  Why risk quarantine for a mild or even no symptoms?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

All the more reason to avoid reporting to sick bay.  Why risk quarantine for a mild or even no symptoms?

Absolutely, everyone you speak to just carry on, and they certainly wouldn't loose valuable cruising days

Been on a couple of cruises now since Jan 2023.  Last one was Majestic, Alaska a few weeks back.  Our procedure with respect to Covid is as follows. We wear our masks in crowds; we wear our masks collecting food at the buffet.  We tell our room steward on day 1, not to enter our room for the entire cruise. We leave our dirty towels at the door and he drops off new ones in a clear plastic bag.  We do not need cabin service at all. We book a mini suite balcony so we have plenty of space to roam. Mini suites have a large sofa bed as well and we let the fresh air enter the cabin upon our arrival and several times during the day.   In the dining room, we have always had no issue getting a table for two in a more far way spot so not to have to interact with other passengers too much in that dining space.  We have found there is more space in the specialty dining rooms, so we ate in those 4 out of the 7 nights.   Less chance of room steward spreading germs from cabin to cabin if that room steward is not entering our cabin.  He uses the same cloth to clean each cabin we are sure.  Princess has become super cheap there.  Also, we do not ask the waiters to bring water or any beverage to us when at the buffet (I mean, water, tea, coffee, the free ones) because we notice that the waiter cleans the table of the previous table guest and then uses the same dirty cloth to clean the next table and he /she is not see washing his hands or using hand sanitizer at all between the tables and bringing water, coffee, tea, iced tea, whatever to the fellow passengers that request it.  Funny.  Not really. So if we want coffee, we go get it and let it drip into our own coffee insulated mugs.  Just a few things that we do to prevent coming into contact with Covid.  As an aside, there were quite a few fellow passengers wearing masks on our May sailing of the Majestic, and more and more in crowded spots as there are people who in general show no respect for others when they are coughing and sneezing. We see them and hear them coughing into their hands (yes) not their sleeve, leaving kleenex on the table.  Manners people.    Just a few notes about our recent experiences.   Six vaccine doses and counting.  No Covid in 3.5 years and we have travelled quite a bit.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, pink845 said:

Been on a couple of cruises now since Jan 2023.  Last one was Majestic, Alaska a few weeks back.  Our procedure with respect to Covid is as follows. We wear our masks in crowds; we wear our masks collecting food at the buffet.  We tell our room steward on day 1, not to enter our room for the entire cruise. We leave our dirty towels at the door and he drops off new ones in a clear plastic bag.  We do not need cabin service at all. We book a mini suite balcony so we have plenty of space to roam. Mini suites have a large sofa bed as well and we let the fresh air enter the cabin upon our arrival and several times during the day.   In the dining room, we have always had no issue getting a table for two in a more far way spot so not to have to interact with other passengers too much in that dining space.  We have found there is more space in the specialty dining rooms, so we ate in those 4 out of the 7 nights.   Less chance of room steward spreading germs from cabin to cabin if that room steward is not entering our cabin.  He uses the same cloth to clean each cabin we are sure.  Princess has become super cheap there.  Also, we do not ask the waiters to bring water or any beverage to us when at the buffet (I mean, water, tea, coffee, the free ones) because we notice that the waiter cleans the table of the previous table guest and then uses the same dirty cloth to clean the next table and he /she is not see washing his hands or using hand sanitizer at all between the tables and bringing water, coffee, tea, iced tea, whatever to the fellow passengers that request it.  Funny.  Not really. So if we want coffee, we go get it and let it drip into our own coffee insulated mugs.  Just a few things that we do to prevent coming into contact with Covid.  As an aside, there were quite a few fellow passengers wearing masks on our May sailing of the Majestic, and more and more in crowded spots as there are people who in general show no respect for others when they are coughing and sneezing. We see them and hear them coughing into their hands (yes) not their sleeve, leaving kleenex on the table.  Manners people.    Just a few notes about our recent experiences.   Six vaccine doses and counting.  No Covid in 3.5 years and we have travelled quite a bit.  

with so many restrictions, you might be better off staying at home...just saying.....

• Like 11

1 hour ago, pink845 said:

Do you have fun on your cruises with those self imposed restrictions?

DON

• Like 10

14 hours ago, pink845 said:

I believe in precautions but this is way over bounds. If I had to make my own bed I would stay home 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, pink845 said:

Just....wow. But,  if it works for you and you are enjoying yourself, then that's what matters. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, pink845 said:

Been on a couple of cruises now since Jan 2023... No Covid in 3.5 years and we have travelled quite a bit.  

For someone hyper-vigilent about contact transmission, you did not mention wearing gloves or washing your own hands, once. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1