Has anybody done Zoom meetings, RECENTLY, onboard the Edge? Did it work well? Your feedback please.

Godblessourhome

We will be sailing onboard the Edge B3B from Vancouver to Sydney, Australia, in September 2024 (42 days). We will be hosting some Zoom meetings during the cruise.  Would really appreciate hearing your experience, feedback, and advice if you have cruised on the Edge and used the Zoom for meetings - recently.

Thank you and appreciate that you could please share your experience.

Thank you!!

Ronnie

While not on Edge I was able to participate on a number of Zoom Calls using the premium on Apex.   Since they are both Edge Class I would assume the results would be similar. 

For the TransAtlantic I had a separate thread on speed test using Starlink.   Solid connection on TA.   @KenTheCruiser was also doing live with daily speed tests on Eclipse Sydney to Vancouver.   His speeds were as solid and same range as in the Atlantic.

Done many video chats on, zoom, facetime and MS teams

If this is for a job and you suffer the worse case scenario, that you get disconnected and cannot get back on, will you suffer consequences?  If yes, one should consider moving the meeting pre-sailing or post-sailing

Otherwise I've found the Starlink to be pretty good, there are usually little hiccups (sound fading in and out) here and there and it can slow down just before lunch (noon) or dinner (530-6pm depending on ship)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Done many video chats on, zoom, facetime and MS teams

If this is for a job and you suffer the worse case scenario, that you get disconnected and cannot get back on, will you suffer consequences?  If yes, one should consider moving the meeting pre-sailing or post-sailing

Otherwise I've found the Starlink to be pretty good, there are usually little hiccups (sound fading in and out) here and there and it can slow down just before lunch (noon) or dinner (530-6pm depending on ship)

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While not on Edge I was able to participate on a number of Zoom Calls using the premium on Apex.   Since they are both Edge Class I would assume the results would be similar. 

For the TransAtlantic I had a separate thread on speed test using Starlink.   Solid connection on TA.   @KenTheCruiser was also doing live with daily speed tests on Eclipse Sydney to Vancouver.   His speeds were as solid and same range as in the Atlantic.

Thank you, Ken and NutsAboutGolf, for sharing your Zoom experiences while onboard Celebrity's Edge-class ship.  Appreciate your sharing the experiences and advices. 

Ken, I followed your recent live report on Eclipse from Sydney to Vancouver.  What an enjoyable cruise!!  Thank you for the detailed daily reports and lovely pictures.

Would love to hear others who would care to share their thoughts and feedbacks of using the Zoom meeting experience while onboard Celebrity's Edge-class ship.

Thank you!

Ronnie

Ronnie

I did several zoom calls on Edge in March. Of course I had premium wifi and for the most part it worked well. Interestingly I didn’t find the star link connection as good as on the Equinox in February but it was still good enough for uninterrupted zoom calls with video. Some days were better than others but I think that depends on the location of the ship. I have also done zoom calls from Beyond. They all were good enough that nobody noticed I was on a ship and not in my home office. 

30 minutes ago, lorimay said:

I did several zoom calls on Edge in March. Of course I had premium wifi and for the most part it worked well. Interestingly I didn’t find the star link connection as good as on the Equinox in February but it was still good enough for uninterrupted zoom calls with video. Some days were better than others but I think that depends on the location of the ship. I have also done zoom calls from Beyond. They all were good enough that nobody noticed I was on a ship and not in my home office. 

Thank you Lorimay for the very helpful information and share your valuable experience.

We have complementary Elite+ free wifi hours and wondering can we upgrade those complementary hours to premium wifi with a fee?  Usually the complementary Elite+ wifi hours are good enough for us.  Except this time, we need to host the Zoom meetings during our cruise. 

Does anybody has any experience in attending a Zoom meeting by using the standard wifi while onboard a Celebrity ship?

Love to hear from you and thank you for sharing!

Ronnie

On 6/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

I think this is the biggest consideration. If you're trying to take a vacation without taking vacation, I would never depend on shipboard internet on any line. Because while it might work perfectly for some, what happens if you're the exception to the rule. Would they buy that a land-based internet line went out, possibly for hours or a day or more or would you have to fess up to where you really are?

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I think this is the biggest consideration. If you're trying to take a vacation without taking vacation, I would never depend on shipboard internet on any line. Because while it might work perfectly for some, what happens if you're the exception to the rule. Would they buy that a land-based internet line went out, possibly for hours or a day or more or would you have to fess up to where you really are?

The largest factor is, are people relying on you for this meeting?  If you're presenting something or "trying to close a deal", then one should reschedule...If you're just listening in the background, assuming there aren't major consequences to not making/dropping off meeting, you should be fine.  You can truthfully say a variety of wifi issues such as "been having wifi issues all day"

I want to be clear its entirely possible one could do a zoom meeting without issues yet there are variables such as how long the meeting is, if you're audio only vs video, if you're sharing your screen/device, etc

• Like 1