First impressions of Seabourn Venture, June, 2023

markham

So far I tremendously impressed by all aspects of Venture and will probably continue to be in that mode as we spend more time experiencing the decks, interior spaces and levels of service. Our benchmark will be, as usual, what we had expected to find here and the 5 classic Seabourn ships.

The exterior deck spaces are vast! The outdoor seating behind the Colonnade (leading to the small pool and 2 jacuzzis) is slightly smaller than the classics, but recall that this is a 270 capacity ship vs 450 or 600. There is a large lounger area behind the gym which is new. And on the top deck around the 24 large zodiacs there’s vast open flat space (reminiscent of QM2) that affords long straightaways for walking unencumbered. (You will recall how poorly the Encore class ships especially delivers on that score). Then there is the front of ship space on deck 6 forward of the Bow Lounge. All for which help ensure this ship is happily suited for warm weather cruising.

Venture also affords lots of space as we have experienced at the Colonnade’s indoor and outdoor seating and MDR seating. The seating at the Constellation Bar, the Club and surrounding tables are well-spaced. Not only does this make for the more comfortable and quieter environments I covet, it underlines the quality and thoughtfulness of design and appreciation of what luxury (to me, at least) really means. There is no comparison with the other Seabourn ships.

Related to the point above is the clever addition of a bar with seating in the area leading to the Discovery Center where tonight we meet and greet Capt Golobev. Remember how you hard to work to get a drink at the Grand Salon or refill unless you were lucky or brought your own? That is over with this bar, the fourth we have located on Venture. Very smart.

About the food, we see far deeper menus and more quality choices and ingredients than we encountered on our recent poorly-provisioned Quest Grand Voyage.  So far everyone is impressed although some of the few we have spoken to do not have much to say about Seabourn generally. I suppose that suggests that many are “expedition” and not “cruise” people. The crew, many of whom we know, are well trained, motivated, and seem proud to work in these surroundings. Makes sense.

Related to this, the Colonnade lunch offering includes 2 pizzas and 2 paninis, items that were at the Patio on the larger ships. The decor and layout, combined with easy access to outdoor seating, means I won’t miss the old pool areas’ dining option. And so far I don’t know about the E&O menus being delivered at the Colonnade. About TK Grill, well, I won’t miss it. For us the menus and concept are stale, and I won’t miss the manoeuvring palaver to get in and get back in there during a cruise. I am sure those budget spends can be deployed more productively in Venture’s outlets.

There is art, lots of it, for a happy change. And there is a passenger laundry containing 4 washer and 4 dryers. And no Retreat nonsense, presumably because the idea is more mass market embarrassing and/or these passengers have no one and nothing to retreat from.

That is it for our first 28 hours on board this beautiful ship. If you have a few particular questions I will see what I can do.

Happy and healthy sailing!
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks Markham.

Any sign of the Howdee Doody knock on my door whilst I'm getting shaved and dressed for dinner party?

Sounds good so far.

Entertainment is a particular newbie on Venture.

Is the great JB still on and singing?

I'll take as much of the details as you can throw at us. 

Good work Markham.

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Many thanks Markham.

Any sign of the Howdee Doody knock on my door whilst I'm getting shaved and dressed for dinner party?

Sounds good so far.

Entertainment is a particular newbie on Venture.

Is the great JB still on and singing?

I'll take as much of the details as you can throw at us. 

Good work Markham.

Re Howdy Doody party - you beat me to it! 

Have a great cruise Markham, I look forward to hearing more about your experience on Venture when you have time to post.

26 minutes ago, markham said:
.  So far everyone is impressed although some of the few we have spoken to do not have much to say about Seabourn generally. I suppose that suggests that many are “expedition” and not “cruise” people. The crew, many of whom we know, are well trained, motivated, and seem proud to work in these surroundings. Makes sense.

Markham, This all sounds great.  Do you consider yourself to be a cruise person or an expedition person?  As we are just a few years past our prime, we are mostly cruise people--which has kept us from considering Pursuit.  While we are fully capable of getting into and out of a Zodiac, we are just not sure that we want to do that as the main activity of a cruise.  Perhaps you will convince us otherwise. 

It is disappointing that Seabourn now allows smoking on Pursuit.  I had read that earlier, but it still seems to  be an effort to cater to a few in order to harvest their dollars.  It would not enhance my enjoyment of the Sky Bar.  

I will be most interested to hear about the menu (photos please?) as you go forward.  Of course preparing food for 270 is much different from food preps for 450-600.  

While I know you are a tux guy (and a dapper one at that), I doubt that you will miss formal night.  Honestly, I think that ship has sailed.  An ever growing number of people just don't want to lug formal clothing as they fly abroad.  

Thank you for your report and  I will look forward to the next installment.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Markham, This all sounds great.  Do you consider yourself to be a cruise person or an expedition person?  As we are just a few years past our prime, we are mostly cruise people--which has kept us from considering Pursuit.  While we are fully capable of getting into and out of a Zodiac, we are just not sure that we want to do that as the main activity of a cruise.  Perhaps you will convince us otherwise. 

It is disappointing that Seabourn now allows smoking on Pursuit.  I had read that earlier, but it still seems to  be an effort to cater to a few in order to harvest their dollars.  It would not enhance my enjoyment of the Sky Bar.  

I will be most interested to hear about the menu (photos please?) as you go forward.  Of course preparing food for 270 is much different from food preps for 450-600.  

While I know you are a tux guy (and a dapper one at that), I doubt that you will miss formal night.  Honestly, I think that ship has sailed.  An ever growing number of people just don't want to lug formal clothing as they fly abroad.  

Thank you for your report and  I will look forward to the next installment.  

I will still be taking a Tux on Pursuit in August as it is not considered an expedition sailing.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, markham said:

About the food, we see far deeper menus and more quality choices and ingredients than we encountered on our recent poorly-provisioned Quest Grand Voyage.

Perhaps Seabourn is moving to a two tiered system where the expedition ships (costing almost double per diem) get better provisioning than the older 'cruise' vessels?  

Texanaust, you may be right but then there are other factors in play:

These new expo ships with their large expo staff represent new costs/opportunities and so they need to cost much more. There will be some price shakeouts eg right now the Silver Endeavour is a good 45% more than a comparable cabin here.

I guess the classic ships, being older and therefore more tired, will be sold off sooner rather than later. They cannot command as much as you could argue the newer and more advanced wave of eg Silversea ships eg Muse, Moon and Dawn, and also the spectacular new Nova and Ray. You have to check them outline and while at it look at the 2 new Regent ships- glitzy but those bells and whistles cost. Maybe we will all decide to spend more or cruise less but get more value during the days we are at sea.

Which leads me to think that in time Seabourn will build those types of ships and when the opportunity arises “do an Odyssey” starting with Quest and Sojourn. It takes a good 5 years to conceive and deliver a new ship vision and we all know Seabourn cannot just stand still. My hope is they do a better job than they did in 2016 replicating Odyssey into the more crowded and facilities-pinched Encore next time - a top deck track, deck sports areas, much larger pool, MDR and Grand Salon than can hold more passengers, more deck space per passenger, and no silly VVIP “retreat”. And who needs TK Grill anymore when you have your own brand? How ‘bout spending the money at home?

So let’s see what happens.

• Like 3

Texanaust, you may be right but then there are other factors in play:

These new expo ships with their large expo staff represent new costs/opportunities and so they need to cost much more. There will be some price shakeouts eg right now the Silver Endeavour is a good 45% more than a comparable cabin here.

I guess the classic ships, being older and therefore more tired, will be sold off sooner rather than later. They cannot command as much as you could argue the newer and more advanced wave of eg Silversea ships eg Muse, Moon and Dawn, and also the spectacular new Nova and Ray. You have to check them outline and while at it look at the 2 new Regent ships- glitzy but those bells and whistles cost. Maybe we will all decide to spend more or cruise less but get more value during the days we are at sea.

Which leads me to think that in time Seabourn will build those types of ships and when the opportunity arises “do an Odyssey” starting with Quest and Sojourn. It takes a good 5 years to conceive and deliver a new ship vision and we all know Seabourn cannot just stand still. My hope is they do a better job than they did in 2016 replicating Odyssey into the more crowded and facilities-pinched Encore next time - a top deck track, deck sports areas, much larger pool, MDR and Grand Salon than can hold more passengers, more deck space per passenger, and no silly VVIP “retreat”. And who needs TK Grill anymore when you have your own brand? How ‘bout spending the money at home?

So let’s see what happens.

Mr L,

There won’t be any tuxes as per the “elegant casual” code for this entire cruise. And more depressing is there will be no Block Party which means Mel will have to stay to himself despite longing for those old “Seabourn Moments”. Remember those? On second thought, don’t.

The sea route to eastern Greenland is very smooth, surprisingly so. That said the ice near land is too much to make certain landings possible so the captain is reserving a couple of days there and towards southern Greenland so make suitable plans. Fine with me.

Back to your plans for your cruise’s social engagement calendar, you will hear about our Club reception scheduled for 11 June in due course. And no, you won’t be competing in any make-your-own hat parade contest.

• Like 1

The newer Silversea ships are beautiful and we are going on one in three weeks.  Silversea definitely has the edge with the quality of ships but Seabourn has better crew (at least they used to).  I would like to try SB's smaller expedition vessels but at the current price point, we simply cannot justify the cost (the exception being the Antarctic someday...).  We then sail on Ovation right afterwards so it will be interesting to compare and contrast.  I don't mind the u-shaped walking track on Ovation as no one uses it, but Silversea's top-deck track beats it hands down.  

Can you confirm that Venture has no tenders except for the zodiacs?  I was reading a review and they said that even at regular tender ports (in the UK for example) they have to use the zodiacs and everyone has to dress in waterproof gear and wear life vests.

The means of reaching any port or landing from Venture is via zodiacs. If there is a pier you would wear regular shoes but if a wet landing a pair of boots. You step right off the ship’s side door on deck  3 and into the waiting 8-12 person plus driver zodiac, and use the sailor’s grip on both arms for support with the crew.

We have to get some perspective first. The Block Party idea bubbled up and outta the Seabourn Signature Events campaign a few years ago. You were invited by the CD to meet and greet your suite neighbors at 18:00 on an early cruise day “come as you are”. The idea is that the CD with the captain and HD in tow would hand out drinks and process through all decks. And you were supposed to enjoy it. No kidding.

On one fine cruise Mel appeared in bathrobe, face cream, shower cap and “howdy doody hey neyber” and “I’m Mel, I like cats” and other badges, ya know, to break the ice. And follow the officers about. It’s taking the meet and greet etc idea to another level, much to everyone’s delight- except maybe the CD who was responsible for the sorry mess. And a couple of terribly embarrassed captains. I know, I know…

FYI, Howdy Doody was a freckle faced ginger haired puppet who starred in a 1950s-60s American 

TV program for children. For some, I guess, their signature moment, but when the memories surface, and for this demographic, well, events follow. So Mel was sorta inevitable.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, markham said:

The means of reaching any port or landing from Venture is via zodiacs. If there is a pier you would wear regular shoes but if a wet landing a pair of boots. You step right off the ship’s side door on deck  3 and into the waiting 8-12 person plus driver zodiac, and use the sailor’s grip on both arms for support with the crew.

Markham,

I'm thinking that this could be a lengthy process.

How many zodiacs are there?

Watch your step now.

Mind the gap.

3 hours ago, markham said:

Mr L,

There won’t be any tuxes as per the “elegant casual” code for this entire cruise. And more depressing is there will be no Block Party which means Mel will have to stay to himself despite longing for those old “Seabourn Moments”. Remember those? On second thought, don’t.

The sea route to eastern Greenland is very smooth, surprisingly so. That said the ice near land is too much to make certain landings possible so the captain is reserving a couple of days there and towards southern Greenland so make suitable plans. Fine with me.

Back to your plans for your cruise’s social engagement calendar, you will hear about our Club reception scheduled for 11 June in due course. And no, you won’t be competing in any make-your-own hat parade contest.

Thanks Markham,

Glad old Neptune is being gentle on that small tub en route to Green and pleasant land. 

It will be interesting to see how low and shabby one can dress on these expedition vessels.

I'm not going to play that game as I, like you have my own standards.

What about a florescent orange Tuxedo just to fit in a little or perhaps one made out of ripped denim.

Awaiting your expert reports

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1

Mr L,

There are 24 zodiacs. Between 4-6 will be used to ferry guests to shore from either side of the ship depending on the total guest count on board, the likely number intending to go, and the state of any pier or other landing area. This is organized for each of the 4 color groups. If there are organized tours then likely they would be called first. And the intention is the ship be moored within a mile of the landing location, preferably closer. Yesterday in Flatey, Iceland Venture was within one km.

The ship might use its lifeboats as tenders. Not sure when that might be.

And just because you equip yourself in fancy dress does not give you early boarding advantage.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, markham said:

Mr L,

There are 24 zodiacs. Between 4-6 will be used to ferry guests to shore from either side of the ship depending on the total guest count on board, the likely number intending to go, and the state of any pier or other landing area. This is organized for each of the 4 color groups. If there are organized tours then likely they would be called first. And the intention is the ship be moored within a mile of the landing location, preferably closer. Yesterday in Flatey, Iceland Venture was within one km.

And just because you equip yourself in fancy dress does not give you early boarding advantage.

Many thanks Markham.

Just off to Gieves and Hawkes to get fitted for a Captains uniform 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We found that on our Venture Antarctica cruise, the best place to hangout is the Bow Lounge on deck 6.  We lovingly referred to it as the Blounge.  Most of the naturalists and a few crew members/officers on their break hangout there as well, so it is a wonderful place for ALL the scuttlebutt and information.  There is a huge outdoor bow area, so if a naturalist sees something, it is a quick trip to great views and whatever has been spotted.  There is also a mini snack bar with coffee, sodas, cookies, pastries, and soup in the afternoon.

• Like 3

Just now, markham said:

On our Venture trip last August the Captian allowed the use of Lifeboats as tenders on one port in Iceland. It was less of an expedition excursion and there was a smaller dock that would accommodate the tender/lifeboat. Weather was nasty that day and guests were grateful.

Looking forward to more reports. We loved Venture and glad to hear things are still quite good and that the food situation may have improved. 

• 2 weeks later...