Eastern TA in the spring, stay over in Europe, return Western TA in the fall

Hi, everybody - I can't think of any other board to post this question, so here goes. 

In 2025, my husband and I who own a business together out of NC and currently live in Guatemala (USA citizens) are interested in sailing over to Europe on a TA in the spring, staying overseas for the summer months and then returning on a western TA in the fall of 2025. We know that we can only stay 90 days in the Schengen area with that visa, which is not enough time for this type of adventure. Is it true that we can stay up 90 days in Ireland without a visa and that's outside the Schengen area so we could do a combo of these two locations without special visa arrangements? 

We're just now beginning to explore this idea, so would love to know which EU countries and locations are good for extended tourism stays and keeping in touch with our team remotely back in the USA? We're interesting in discovering locations that are affordable with long term rentals, good for mobility challenged older folks, fast internet, easy to get around without a car, with lots of culture like museums, good restaurants, etc.) Recommendations are very welcome!

Great questions!  We were recently on a HAL cruise, in Asia, where we met quite a few folks from Australia who were really "into" the topic of the EU rules.  It is a real problem for those who want to spend more than 3 months in Western Europe.  Montenegro was mentioned as a possibility and some talked about spending their 90 days in Western Europe and than heading to the UK or Ireland for a few more weeks.

We are currently planning on a European trip for 2024, but will stay well under the 90 day limit.  I think the big problem is for Brits that have property in Spain and/or France.  There are Visa alternatives, but apparently the process is onerous.

Hank

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting question and I have seen it discussed by people sailing their own boats in the Med.  Another place you might consider for an extended stay is Turkey which probably checks off at least some of your boxes.  You can get a Turkish visa on arrival or online.

Another alternative is to simply to stay under the 90 day limit if you can find some cruises that you like.  Another idea would be to go at least one way on the Queen Mary 2 which does transatlantic crossings frequently - even though this results in leaving the Schengen zone too.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:52 AM, DebInAntigua said:

Hi, everybody - I can't think of any other board to post this question, so here goes. 

In 2025, my husband and I who own a business together out of NC and currently live in Guatemala (USA citizens) are interested in sailing over to Europe on a TA in the spring, staying overseas for the summer months and then returning on a western TA in the fall of 2025. We know that we can only stay 90 days in the Schengen area with that visa, which is not enough time for this type of adventure. Is it true that we can stay up 90 days in Ireland without a visa and that's outside the Schengen area so we could do a combo of these two locations without special visa arrangements? 

We're just now beginning to explore this idea, so would love to know which EU countries and locations are good for extended tourism stays and keeping in touch with our team remotely back in the USA? We're interesting in discovering locations that are affordable with long term rentals, good for mobility challenged older folks, fast internet, easy to get around without a car, with lots of culture like museums, good restaurants, etc.) Recommendations are very welcome!

What you are considering is very doable!  We are full-time travelers.  And whenever we can cruise rather than fly, we DO.  Last year we took the QM2 to Southampton, stayed our full Schengen time (88 days) in Vienna, Paris, and Germany (with a 30-day break in non-Schengen Andorra!), then went to England and sailed home on the maiden voyage of Carnival Celebration.

This year we spent Feb and March in Bonaire and Aruba and took Oceania from Aruba to Barcelona, arriving in April.  We have now been in Spain for over 2 months and are headed to England and Scotland tomorrow with plans to return stateside on the QM2 in mid-August.  (We’ll run the clock out on our Schengen time on a cruise to Norway next week).  

So, yes, due to BREXIT, you can extend your time in Europe by going to the UK OR in non-Schengen eastern European countries.  We are slowmads, meaning that we like to stay places a month or longer.  So far that has included Croatia, Lake Como, Paris, Vienna, Andorra, Barcelona and Denia Spain.  Next we head to a couple of different suburbs of London.  Our rent budget is $2000 a month—we offset higher rents with petsitting.  

There is a FB group called Go With Less with thousands of nomads like us.  Lots of tips and travel hacks there.  I recently wrote a guest blog on the logistics and fiancing of this way of life.  

https://www.caniretireyet.com/reader-story-nomadic-life-retirement/

Good luck!  

• Like 1

Oh, also. . . NEXT year we’re going from Miami to Lima, spending 3 months in South America and then going from Miami to spend a month each in Madeira, Tenerife and Lisbon before heading to eastern Europe.  Probably will come back to U.S. again on the QM2 (we love love love that crossing!)

5 hours ago, muggo11 said:

What you are considering is very doable!  We are full-time travelers.  And whenever we can cruise rather than fly, we DO.  Last year we took the QM2 to Southampton, stayed our full Schengen time (88 days) in Vienna, Paris, and Germany (with a 30-day break in non-Schengen Andorra!), then went to England and sailed home on the maiden voyage of Carnival Celebration.

This year we spent Feb and March in Bonaire and Aruba and took Oceania from Aruba to Barcelona, arriving in April.  We have now been in Spain for over 2 months and are headed to England and Scotland tomorrow with plans to return stateside on the QM2 in mid-August.  (We’ll run the clock out on our Schengen time on a cruise to Norway next week).  

So, yes, due to BREXIT, you can extend your time in Europe by going to the UK OR in non-Schengen eastern European countries.  We are slowmads, meaning that we like to stay places a month or longer.  So far that has included Croatia, Lake Como, Paris, Vienna, Andorra, Barcelona and Denia Spain.  Next we head to a couple of different suburbs of London.  Our rent budget is $2000 a month—we offset higher rents with petsitting.  

There is a FB group called Go With Less with thousands of nomads like us.  Lots of tips and travel hacks there.  I recently wrote a guest blog on the logistics and fiancing of this way of life.  

https://www.caniretireyet.com/reader-story-nomadic-life-retirement/

Good luck!  

Great blog post….my husband and I keep kicking around the idea of selling our home and possessions and traveling the world….it’s stories like yours that make it seem really possible. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I think the Schengen issue has not been accurately addressed.  The current rule (for those of us with USA Passports) is that you can spend no more than 90 days in any 180 day period.  Once you reach that 90 day limit you must leave the Schengen zone for at least 90 days before returning (for a new 180/90 day cycle).  

Hank

The OP wasn't precise so we can't offer specific advice. But “quaint” and “historic” translate as “not wheelchair accessible”. How high a curb can you cross? How many flights of stairs can you carry your luggage? Most of the rail stations I use don't have elevators.

I can think of quite a few options for the visa problem for a physically fit person, but Europe in summer is crowded and expensive, especially if your options are limited.

Having to stay out of the country for 30 days to be considered as having left,  is a US rule.

Edited by Dancer Bob