Resilient Lady Home Port Melbourne 23/24

Researching Resilient Lady which will home port in Melbourne 23/24.

2,770 passengers adults only 

17 Decks

60,000 tonnage

26/11/2024 Darwin transit port call.

She will arrive back in Sydney at 8 am on 3/12/24, dropping anchor at Athol Bay before relocating to OPT at 7pm.  It is a similar process that will be repeated on other occasions when ship returns to Sydney.

Brisbane cruise port shows two calls 23/12/24

and 2/1/25.

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Researching Resilient Lady which will home port in Melbourne 23/24.

2,770 passengers adults only 

17 Decks

60,000 tonnage

26/11/2024 Darwin transit port call.

She will arrive back in Sydney at 8 am on 3/12/24, dropping anchor at Athol Bay before relocating to OPT at 7pm.  It is a similar process that will be repeated on other occasions when ship returns to Sydney.

Brisbane cruise port shows two calls 23/12/24

and 2/1/25.

Latteluxurynews.com

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

That sounds right, because it looks huge (rather ugly like sheep ship transport).

It is just a very modern ship Marion. Launched last year. It will be interesting having such a new ship home based in Melbourne. A bit pricey though.

• Like 2

Just now, possum52 said:

It is just a very modern ship Marion. Launched last year. It will be interesting having such a new ship home based in Melbourne. A bit pricey though.

Yes, I didn't tour inside.  No children should appeal to some passengers. I will be interested to read reviews. 

Well we are off to a good start I think not.  I booked 3 voyages on Resilient Lady over 12 months ago and fully paid for them.  You get a 10% discount.

The first voyage on 11th Dec still looks ok, 5 nights Tasmania.  Think it will be a party cruise but just want to see what it is like.

However I have just received an email this morning stating that "We have received significant feedback from Sailors and travel partners about the voyages available, so we're adjusting our sailing schedule to provide more round-trip sailings in Australia from Melbourne and Sydney"

Hmm this means that my other 2 cruises - Melb to Auk 14th Feb and B2B return Auk to Mel 28th Feb have been cancelled.  They have also cancelled the 2 preceding cruises in Jan/Feb.

So they are giving FCCs and some extra based on the type of cabin booked although you can evidently ask for your money back if you want.  Since prices have gone up substantially since I booked I am not impressed.

More news to come in the next few days so I await the release of substitute itineraries and what options I have.  I am not impressed - they haven't even got here yet.

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Well we are off to a good start I think not.  I booked 3 voyages on Resilient Lady over 12 months ago and fully paid for them.  You get a 10% discount.

The first voyage on 11th Dec still looks ok, 5 nights Tasmania.  Think it will be a party cruise but just want to see what it is like.

However I have just received an email this morning stating that "We have received significant feedback from Sailors and travel partners about the voyages available, so we're adjusting our sailing schedule to provide more round-trip sailings in Australia from Melbourne and Sydney"

Hmm this means that my other 2 cruises - Melb to Auk 14th Feb and B2B return Auk to Mel 28th Feb have been cancelled.  They have also cancelled the 2 preceding cruises in Jan/Feb.

So they are giving FCCs and some extra based on the type of cabin booked although you can evidently ask for your money back if you want.  Since prices have gone up substantially since I booked I am not impressed.

More news to come in the next few days so I await the release of substitute itineraries and what options I have.  I am not impressed - they haven't even got here yet.

I'm sorry to hear two of your cruises to and from NZ have been cancelled.  If the new rescheduled cruises are not to your liking, I would take a full refund.  At least you still have your five night cruise on 11/12 to Tasmania to trial the ship.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

I deduct from the red print that agents are saying they are having trouble selling open ended voyages, especially as the price of Virgin flights are doubly expensive. I felt it was risky for them to have so many open ended itineraries, but they are taking even more risks by changing the itineraries 6 months from sailing - partly by starting from scratch and also by upsetting a new audience of cruisers who leapt in head first when the itineraries were first announced. That isn't a great first impression, and they can't do it the way they juggle flights.

Hopefully you get at least one of your B2B's as a modified Melb-NZ-Melb cruise. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear your two cruises are about to be cancelled.  The bookings must be pretty poor to do that.  

I wonder how many influencers will get freebies on the first couple of cruises to promote the heck out of the ship on social media?  

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sorry to hear your two cruises are about to be cancelled.  The bookings must be pretty poor to do that.  

I wonder how many influencers will get freebies on the first couple of cruises to promote the heck out of the ship on social media?  

Too late for this season. They would have needed to be aboard and talking-up Scarlet Lady at around the same time the itineraries were launched.

• Like 1

I'm extremely disappointed with their offerings. The cruises seem to be from nowhere to nowhere and just an excuse to be onboard for their signature entertainment, fitness classes and culinary offerings. Staying in a 5* hotel in Melbourne would probably be better value and more entertaining

7 hours ago, yarramar said:

I'm extremely disappointed with their offerings. The cruises seem to be from nowhere to nowhere and just an excuse to be onboard for their signature entertainment, fitness classes and culinary offerings. Staying in a 5* hotel in Melbourne would probably be better value and more entertaining

I’ve been wondering how the cruise planners can get it so wrong.  It is not as if they don’t have enough time.  Do they consult with local cruising planning experts?  Do they follow cruising trends.  Reading these threads alone demonstrates there is plenty of demand for cruising in Australia.  But not at any cost!

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I’ve been wondering how the cruise planners can get it so wrong.  It is not as if they don’t have enough time.  Do they consult with local cruising planning experts?  Do they follow cruising trends.  Reading these threads alone demonstrates there is plenty of demand for cruising in Australia.  But not at any cost!

There is a bit to unpack. Virgin has said they don't want to do what their competitors do and love doing it their way. Pre-pandemic, they might have been onto a winner, but there is a reason why the existing lines do it that way. They saw an opportunity in Melbourne, but Carnival Australia is slowly backing away, and they understand the market there better than most.

The Virgin brand is revered in parts of the world but not so much here, especially since the airline went bust a few years ago. When they originally launched here, they were the cheap seats. Most things Virgin in Australia are just badged - Virgin Money (remember the credit cards with a round corner) was just Macquarie bank with a badge, Virgin mobile was just badged Optus. 

Now that the covid cancellation credits are mostly used-up and interest rates are rising, demand for cruising (and other recreational activities) is slipping. This coming season has been mostly locked in, but less ships on the schedule for 24/25. I will generally jump all over a new ship offering to try it out, but for some reason Resilient Lady has escaped me. I would like to be aboard this summer, but we have chosen other more convenient short holidays on brands we know what to expect.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, arxcards said:

There is a bit to unpack. Virgin has said they don't want to do what their competitors do and love doing it their way. Pre-pandemic, they might have been onto a winner, but there is a reason why the existing lines do it that way. They saw an opportunity in Melbourne, but Carnival Australia is slowly backing away, and they understand the market there better than most.

The Virgin brand is revered in parts of the world but not so much here, especially since the airline went bust a few years ago. When they originally launched here, they were the cheap seats. Most things Virgin in Australia are just badged - Virgin Money (remember the credit cards with a round corner) was just Macquarie bank with a badge, Virgin mobile was just badged Optus. 

Now that the covid cancellation credits are mostly used-up and interest rates are rising, demand for cruising (and other recreational activities) is slipping. This coming season has been mostly locked in, but less ships on the schedule for 24/25. I will generally jump all over a new ship offering to try it out, but for some reason Resilient Lady has escaped me. I would like to be aboard this summer, but we have chosen other more convenient short holidays on brands we know what to expect.

I would expect no less of Richard Branson.  He had such a famous reputation for innovation.  Virgin from London to Orlando USA was the most fun flight I’d been on.

I understand many people will have other plans made already, like you.  The same thing happened to me when Luminosa arrived in Brisbane.  I only managed one cruise because of other plans.  The cruiseline will say low numbers were because people weren’t interested.  Not because of lack of advance notice or poor itinerary choices!  To add insult to injury, they are now cancelling cruises paid for in full in advance!

i hope they fill Resilient Lady with discount prices, not influencers.  Has anyone knowingly taken an expensive cruise because of influencers?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I would expect no less of Richard Branson.  He had such a famous reputation for innovation.  Virgin from London to Orlando USA was the most fun flight I’d been on.

I understand many people will have other plans made already, like you.  The same thing happened to me when Luminosa arrived in Brisbane.  I only managed one cruise because of other plans.  The cruiseline will say low numbers were because people weren’t interested.  Not because of lack of advance notice or poor itinerary choices!  To add insult to injury, they are now cancelling cruises paid for in full in advance!

i hope they fill Resilient Lady with discount prices, not influencers.  Has anyone knowingly taken an expensive cruise because of influencers?

I hadn't already made plans, I just chose more convenient ones. There just wasn't enough pull from Virgin Voyages to attract my hard earned. Branson has a reputation for adding polish and relevance to an existing idea, and marketing it with style. I don't see that as innovation. I am a fan since Tubular Bells days.

Discount prices are a last resort for any company, including cruise lines. Yes, quite a few people book cruises based on what influencers do, and that is why they are engaged to create cheap advertorial content. In the main, most of us have become savvy to this form of advertising now and can see through the manipulation, and even the ATO is looking at the "free" travel as a form of payment for content.

13 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I hadn't already made plans, I just chose more convenient ones. There just wasn't enough pull from Virgin Voyages to attract my hard earned. Branson has a reputation for adding polish and relevance to an existing idea, and marketing it with style. I don't see that as innovation. I am a fan since Tubular Bells days.

Discount prices are a last resort for any company, including cruise lines. Yes, quite a few people book cruises based on what influencers do, and that is why they are engaged to create cheap advertorial content. In the main, most of us have become savvy to this form of advertising now and can see through the manipulation, and even the ATO is looking at the "free" travel as a form of payment for content.

I'm surprised discount prices are a last resort for any company.  There are a small percentage of people who want to be first to try everything.  However, there are other more cautious people who wait to see how good the product is.  Bargains entice people to try unknown things, with the hope they will join the converted. 

43 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm surprised discount prices are a last resort for any company.  There are a small percentage of people who want to be first to try everything.  However, there are other more cautious people who wait to see how good the product is.  Bargains entice people to try unknown things, with the hope they will join the converted. 

There is the token "early bird" or extra OBC or inclusions which are there to help people think they are getting better deals but are usually worth less than a 5% discount. I see that as promotional pricing vs significant discounting because of oversupply.  The latter is usually at cost or a loss and is literally a last resort. as they are usually last minute as well.

If an influencer says everything is awesome and you can get a superficial deal when you go to book, it has to look like a great deal.

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

There is the token "early bird" or extra OBC or inclusions which are there to help people think they are getting better deals but are usually worth less than a 5% discount. I see that as promotional pricing vs significant discounting because of oversupply.  The latter is usually at cost or a loss and is literally a last resort. as they are usually last minute as well.

If an influencer says everything is awesome and you can get a superficial deal when you go to book, it has to look like a great deal.

😀Yes I agree as I buy last minute.

I mentioned influencers because I was wondering if their target market is 25-45 year olds.  I have no idea of their target market overseas but I was thinking along the line of those who go to Virgin Active gyms. Yea, obviously all ages use gyms but the majority of clientele would be the age range I mentioned 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I mentioned influencers because I was wondering if their target market is 25-45 year olds.  I have no idea of their target market overseas but I was thinking along the line of those who go to Virgin Active gyms. Yea, obviously all ages use gyms but the majority of clientele would be the age range I mentioned 

I know I wouldn't be their target market.  However, I'm the one everyone comes to for travel advice because I have been travelling all my life!

27 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Most lines use "influencers" anyway, as most generations and demographics are on social media. I have watched US & UK influencer videos for Virgin a year or so back, and they were pitched at an older cruiser to try something new.

Not sure their target market is so much 25 to 45's, as they can't take their kids along. The initial Virgin fans back to Tubular Bells days are predominately boomers, so I think they are targeting a mix of retired boomers, empty nest gen X, yuppies & dinkies. Even getting past my mid 50's, I still want to be a rock star, but they can have their gyms 😄

• Like 1

I hear the food is very good which gives them a head start in my opinion.

I'm willing to give them a go but wishing I had booked a few weeks ago when there was a better promotion going. Now, to get the lower prices, it's a 'pay in full when you book' which I don't want to do right now. I'll keep waiting and hoping the prices come down or there's at least a better OBC or 'bar tab credit' in the offing.

I plan to sail before Christmas; there's nothing departing from Melbourne in either January or February - perhaps as a result of the changes that Ondine reports.

Seems from the youtubers I follow that the ages on board tend to be predominantly late 20's to 60's (although there are also much older people on board getting into the swing of it all).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm willing to give them a go but wishing I had booked a few weeks ago when there was a better promotion going. Now, to get the lower prices, it's a 'pay in full when you book' which I don't want to do right now. I'll keep waiting and hoping the prices come down or there's at least a better OBC or 'bar tab credit' in the offing.

I plean to sail before Christmas; there's nothing departing from Melbourne in either January or February - perhaps as a result of the changes that Ondine reports.

Seems from the youtubers I follow that the ages on board tend to be predominantly late 20's to 60's (although there are also much older people on board getting into the swing of it all).

Where did you see the promotion?  I haven't seen one advertisement!!

I get worried when they ask for full payment, especially after what happened with the pandemic!  People are still trying to use their credits. 

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I plan to sail before Christmas; there's nothing departing from Melbourne in either January or February - perhaps as a result of the changes that Ondine reports.

Are you aware that they are status matching for the time being.  If you are platinum or elite on Princess and various other lines then on cruises prior to 31st Dec they are giving you "Deep Blue Extras" which apart from enhanced boarding/laundry and a few other things includes US$10 per day for speciality coffee and a US$100 bar tab.  Not bad on a short voyage considering that all soft drinks/coke etc are free.

They haven't replaced the cancelled cruises in Feb and March yet so I don't know what they will be. 

So far I have been advised that they have refunded the Port fees to my bank account (not in there yet) and I noticed this morning that there seems to be 1.5 times the fare in cruise credits in my account.  Looks like the 50% was a bonus.  I was informed that I had till July 15 to request cash which I might do because the current prices are far more than I paid.  FCCs must be used on a cruise that departs within 12 months of your cancelled booking sail date.

I can only see one b2b NZ cruise/s now in March remaining.  However the return leg goes to Sydney via Melbourne and I don't think they would let us off with immigration to clear. If they would I would be interested in doing it because no ports are repeated and I like the itinerary. To NZ goes via Sydney and home comes via Hobart.  A good round trip of 20/22 days.

I haven't seen much advertising in the papers for sailing since the lock down.  Maybe they do it all on FB and digital media trying to reach a younger audience.  Don't they realise that we oldies have more cash and free time.

Edited by Ondine