Checklist for DIY USS Arizona

YoPhilly

We'll be calling at Honolulu this coming January, and my husband has one request - to visit the USS Arizona Memorial.  I've searched and read through many CC posts to find the answers, and I'd greatly appreciate if someone would check my plan for gaps and/or errors in planning.  Thanks very much!

• 56 days prior to Saturday, January 20 - Buy tickets at https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16.  Each ticket costs $1.00
  • Ship docks at 8AM, grab a cab or Uber to Pearl Harbor.  Arrive at least one hour before the time of the ticket.
  • Watch the (free?) movie and view exhibits at the visitor center.
  • Board the free boat to the USS Arizona.  Explore the memorial.

Have any of you then visited the Aviation Museum?  What are your thoughts on that attraction?

On 6/5/2023 at 11:10 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Your plan sounds fine.

I would choose touring the Missouri over the aviation museum.  Much better, particularly if you get one of the deeper guided tours.

Thanks, Bruce.  My husband used to fly airplanes and is an aircraft aficionado. That’s why I was thinking the aviation museum. Have you visited it?

Your plan is fine, it is almost what we did in January. I would point out that while you reserve the tickets, they also have a standby line. We had noon tickets but were at Pearl Harbor early, so we walk over for the 10am time slot. Waited five minutes and did the 10am which gave us much more time after to explore, Pearl Harbor.

From the ship to Pearl Harbor, the Uber was about $45.

Edited by Expat Cruise

Looking at similar activities for October.  Arizona tickets open at 7am Hawaii time 8 weeks before day of visit.  You can also visit other facilities with the Pearl Harbor Passport (includes bus to Ford Island) for $68pp available farther in advance.  There is also a local bus from Waikiki that goes to the airport and to the Arizona museum complex (can't remember the number) for much less than Uber.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

Thanks, Bruce.  My husband used to fly airplanes and is an aircraft aficionado. That’s why I was thinking the aviation museum. Have you visited it?

Yes, have been to everything at Pearl...Missouri, Arizona, the sub, and the Aviation Museum. Nothing wrong with the Aviation Museum, just feel the Missouri was more interesting, particularly with a "insider" guided tour. Even my wife liked it...but of course she was a Navy officer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Your plan is fine, it is almost what we did in January. I would point out that while you reserve the tickets, they also have a standby line. We had noon tickets but were at Pearl Harbor early, so we walk over for the 10am time slot. Waited five minutes and did the 10am which gave us much more time after to explore, Pearl Harbor.

From the ship to Pearl Harbor, the Uber was about $45.

That’s great to know.  Thanks!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LeeW said:

Looking at similar activities for October.  Arizona tickets open at 7am Hawaii time 8 weeks before day of visit.  You can also visit other facilities with the Pearl Harbor Passport (includes bus to Ford Island) for $68pp available farther in advance.  There is also a local bus from Waikiki that goes to the airport and to the Arizona museum complex (can't remember the number) for much less than Uber.

Do you know how to get from the Arizona to the Aviation Museum?

6 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Do you know how to get from the Arizona to the Aviation Museum?

I believe the only way is to take the provided shuttle bus from the Arizona that runs on to the military base (Ford Island) and stops at both the Aviation Museum and the Missouri.

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I believe the only way is to take the provided shuttle bus from the Arizona that runs on to the military base (Ford Island) and stops at both the Aviation Museum and the Missouri.

Thanks, Bruce.  Do you know if a ticket is required for the shuttle bus?