Best strategy to get from cruise port to Boston Public Gardens and Commons?

Maplemoose

Is there a cheaper alternative than an Uber which doesn't involve transferring from bus to red line to whatever? In other words I want reasonable price without spending hours studying the Boston underground. One bus or subway line would work but not interested in becoming the man who never returned as the old song phrased it.

• Haha 1

We did go to the Public Gardens in the past. \

First time we walked after the shuttle dropped us off by Quincy Market. It gave us time to see the sights like the downtown area, Boston Commons and onto the Public Gardens. But we took a break finding a restaurant to eat before heading back by feet to the Market.

The second time we walked again but did take a taxi back to the Market. We are not aware of the bus and train lines.

Best to take taxi back before rush hour. The Public Gardens are beautiful to view especially the internal lake with the Swan Boats.

1 hour ago, Maplemoose said:

One bus or subway line would work but not interested in becoming the man who never returned as the old song phrased it.

You're thinking of Charlie. Indeed, fare media in Boston are known as CharlieTickets and CharlieCards. The story is that the MTA (the prior subway operator) had instituted a 5-cent charge to exit the subway. Poor Charlie had no money, and for that reason he could not exit from the subway.

Anything meaningfully less expensive than a hired car is either walking or using the T. It is a pleasant enough walk along Summer Street and Winter Street, about two miles to Boston Common. If you were to use the T, you would find the silver line immediately outside the Flynn Cruiseport Boston, a.k.a. Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Change at South Station to the red line (towards Alewife) and alight at Park Street.

11 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

Is there a cheaper alternative than an Uber which doesn't involve transferring from bus to red line to whatever? In other words I want reasonable price without spending hours studying the Boston underground.

Short answer is no-- not direct. Uber will be the fastest option to get you to Boston Common and Public Gardens. The only other option would be the Silver Line to South Station and then you are about a 12-15 minute walk through one of Boston's less atmospheric neighborhoods (assuming you don't want to transfer to another line). 

I would just take the Uber-- its going to be like $15 and take about 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

Thanks. I was reading the Uber App incorrectly and thought it  was over $30. Now I see my mistake. Where is the closest spot I should order the Uber from. I think I read someone mentioned the Design Building? 

11 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Where is the closest spot I should order the Uber from. I think I read someone mentioned the Design Building?

Yep-- the Design Center will work. For the destination you can plug in the Four Seasons Hotel and it will drop you right in front of the Public Garden and just across Charles Street to Boston Common.