Alaska Bon Voyage gift ideas

krazy4kruisin

15 hours ago, krazy4kruisin said:

The In Laws, our DD & SIL and granddaughter are going to Alaska. Their first time there. Any ideas for an inexpensive (not corny) gift ideas. 

a pair of travel binoculars.  They can fit in a pocket. Can view the Glaciers close up.  Maybe see bears on the shore catching fish.  Bald Eagles in the trees.  Waterfalls like you  have never seen before.  Sporting goods store should have a good selection

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Inexpensive" means different things to different people

A full zip fleece would come in very handy if you know their sizes and it's within your budget

Alternatively an outlet extender could be a lifesaver...

On 6/8/2023 at 8:00 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

a pair of travel binoculars.  They can fit in a pocket. Can view the Glaciers close up.  Maybe see bears on the shore catching fish.  Bald Eagles in the trees.  Waterfalls like you  have never seen before.  Sporting goods store should have a good selection

The idea of binoculars is a good one.  Buying them w/o knowing exactly what they want or need is a bad one.  Nobody should buy binoculars for someone else because you don't know exactly what they want or what will be comfortable for them.  I have bought 4 or 54 different sets of binocs for different reasons over the years and it has never taken me less than a couple of hours to decide what I need.  If you really want to buy them make sure that theu are returnable for any reason.  The idea of binoculars is a good one but just do not buy it for them.  Take them to a store and buy them for them.  Get them a gift certificate for a binoculars WEB site although buying binoculars over the WEB is also a baf idea.  Getting a good set of binoculars is not as easy as it sounds.

DON

9 hours ago, CoW mAn said:

"Inexpensive" means different things to different people

A full zip fleece would come in very handy if you know their sizes and it's within your budget

Alternatively an outlet extender could be a lifesaver...

If you buy a power extender make sure that it is NOT surge protected or it may be confiscated.

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The idea of binoculars is a good one.  Buying them w/o knowing exactly what they want or need is a bad one.  Nobody should buy binoculars for someone else because you don't know exactly what they want or what will be comfortable for them.  I have bought 4 or 54 different sets of binocs for different reasons over the years and it has never taken me less than a couple of hours to decide what I need.  If you really want to buy them make sure that theu are returnable for any reason.  The idea of binoculars is a good one but just do not buy it for them.  Take them to a store and buy them for them.  Get them a gift certificate for a binoculars WEB site although buying binoculars over the WEB is also a baf idea.  Getting a good set of binoculars is not as easy as it sounds.

DON

I always purchase 20X50 pocket sized binoculars as gifts for many people going to Alaska.  It's the perfect size of concerts, and cruising  If the recipient dent like them, they can return it.  I guess my friends are just not that choosy on binoculars.    They way I purchase binoculars, I pick out the pair, stand at the counter, and look for the smallest signage at the back of the store.  If I can read it, I buy them.  For me, its not that hard ( but again, Im not an binocular connoisseur)

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

If you buy a power extender make sure that it is NOT surge protected or it may be confiscated.

DON

The one I review in the video is cruise compliant, I've taken it on tons of cruises so it's safe option

You can never go wrong with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Will they have any effect on how clearly you see the glaciers? Probably not. 

But, they sure are tasty and just the sight of them says "We're going on an adventure!"

Jonathan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

You can never go wrong with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Will they have any effect on how clearly you see the glaciers? Probably not. 

But, they sure are tasty and just the sight of them says "We're going on an adventure!"

Jonathan

Maybe chocolate covered carrots might help with the vision issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Jonathan

Many of us including me are diabetic.  You can go very wrong with chocolate covered strawberries.  

DON

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Many of us including me are diabetic.  You can go very wrong with chocolate covered strawberries.  

DON

A serious issue to be sure.  I think the OP would be aware with their immediate family.  

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

A serious issue to be sure.  I think the OP would be aware with their immediate family.  

Since the gift is for inlaws, perhaps some hemlock laced strawberries?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Since the gift is for inlaws, perhaps some hemlock laced strawberries?

That explains what happened to the missing strawberries.  😀

Edited by ldubs