Anyone left the ship for a funeral than returned back on board?

max344

Hi all

Got a Cunard world cruise booked and have an immediate family member who is unwell. Seems like I can leave the ship to fly back home for a funeral but not allowed to reboard a few days later, they will cancel the rest of my cruise. Cunard is telling me due to protocols for each country it visits and covid restrictions. When I asked where I can find those restrictions I was told they haven't been uploaded onto the website yet.

I don't plan on cancelling the few days when I won't be on the ship or asking for any refund so can't see why it would be such an issue and wondering if anyone else has had experience with something like that?

Max

Edited by max344
trying of find a better forum to get more responses.

I'm sorry to hear about your family member. 

If you don't get any answers here you could ask on your roll call. There will be posters with experience of previous world cruises who might be able to help.

• Like 1

Some countries may well still have such restrictions, or could have reintroduced them by next year, so I'm not saying they're wrong.

But what would happen if someone missed the ship at one port and it took them a few days to catch up with the ship at the next port, or the one after that? Would Cunard have cancelled the remainder of their voyage and deny them reboarding?

I'm not suggesting this as a deliberate course of action as there may well be some specifics of the place you left the ship, the place you tried to reboard, or anywhere you travelled to or through between those two points, that meant the advice they gave you is actually correct.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
spelling
  • Like 3

Although things may have changed due to COVID, we have left the ship in several ports on several occasions, and joined it again with no problems. We just emailed customer services at Cunard to let them know in advance. On the recent QV world voyage a friend chose to leave in New Zealand for personal reasons, and joined the ship again in Australia, and they were also off the ship between Indonesia and Singapore for medical reasons. Cunard had no issues with this.

For us and our friend, apart from the medical incident, we did know in advance that we wanted to miss some ports, so the issue may be that you would not be able to know in advance when and if you had to disembark and join the ship again. I do so hope that this situation does not arise for you and that you are able to enjoy your full world cruise 🙂

• Like 4

I was on the Crystal WC in 2015 and there were at least two instances I know of where people left and came back.. One woman left the ship in Perth Australia to fly back to Europe to witness the birth of a grand child. She returned in Mauritius. There was a couple who did not like the ocean crossings. They left the ship in Lima and returned in Tahiti. I do not know if any special arrangements had to be done in these cases.

• Like 1

I know this is ‘way back when’  during her Maiden Season, but I had to leave QM2 at Lisbon for a funeral in New York and I flew to the UK and rejoined the ship. I just let the Purser’s Office that I had to ge ‘off ship’. There were no problems. 

• Like 2