Need advice Regarding NCL bookingand pricing...

Hello all,

I made a booking for Next year on the NCL Jade western Caribbean 5 nights and it came out to $2986.00 directly with NCL Rep.,(I did a slight upgrade in cabin location as the NCL rep originally had a lower price but the room was above a bar/restaurant).

And yes I am traveling solo and NCL only has the single cabins on the newer ships 7 nights or longer.

My question is should I shop around or will I get the same/similiar pricing regardless of where I call?  / Any suggestions on agencies to call?

Thank you

8 minutes ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Hello all,

I made a booking for Next year on the NCL Jade western Caribbean 5 nights and it came out to $2986.00 directly with NCL Rep.,(I did a slight upgrade in cabin location as the NCL rep originally had a lower price but the room was above a bar/restaurant).

And yes I am traveling solo and NCL only has the single cabins on the newer ships 7 nights or longer.

My question is should I shop around or will I get the same/similiar pricing regardless of where I call?  / Any suggestions on agencies to call?

Thank you

CC doesn't allow promoting travel agents.

However, if you like to drink Bosco, you could try something that rhymes with it....they offer cash back and sometimes free gratuities. Happy drinking...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You can find Travel Agents that discount the NCL price but it takes some work.  

Most make the mistake of limiting their search to internet searches like discount cruises.  NCL, and most other cruise lines, prohibit Travel Agents from advertising any discounts.  IOW, you need to make a list and call the agents directly.  If they quote the NCL price then thank them and go to the next agent.  BTW, those agencies that advertise on CC don't discount so don't waste  your time.

1 hour ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Thank you, I wasn't sure.

Regardless of which travel agency, is that a price that's competitive or is NCL jacking it up?

I honestly have no clue as it's been a while since I last cruised.

The price sounds a little high but it's impossible to know without knowing more about your booking. Did you get the free at sea? Are you in a balcony cabin? Inside? Suite? Is this in the summer or in an off season?

My experience with travel agents is not finding much better prices with them. But you could certainly find a lower priced cruise. For me it would just come down to whether you want to go on this cruise badly enough to pay $600 per day. 

24 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

The price sounds a little high but it's impossible to know without knowing more about your booking. Did you get the free at sea? Are you in a balcony cabin? Inside? Suite? Is this in the summer or in an off season?

My experience with travel agents is not finding much better prices with them. But you could certainly find a lower priced cruise. For me it would just come down to whether you want to go on this cruise badly enough to pay $600 per day. 

A good TA can quote a price at least 8-10% less than direct from NCL.  And, that includes all the perks one would get from NCL.

As a frequent solo traveler, I know I wouldn't pay $3000 for a 5 night Caribbean cruise.  Especially on an older ship like the Jade.  Shop around.

I paid less than that for a recent 7 night Mediterranean cruise.  In a balcony cabin.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

4 hours ago, VIKINGCRUISER said:

Hello all,

Thank you

Holy bovine! That seems quite pricey. Sometimes NCL will drop the solo price substantially around the 90 day mark to fill up the ship. If the ship is reaching capacity not so much. If you are flexible with dates it might pay to wait. If not I would still shop around. I think you can do better than three grand for a 5 day cruise.

I'm a solo cruiser (4 times/yr) and wouldn't book for that price. Since the restart, NCL has been maintaining high single supplements for solos. However, I haven't changed my strategy which is never to book until after final payment is due. I monitor after that point until a doable fare is available.

2 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I'm a solo cruiser (4 times/yr) and wouldn't book for that price. Since the restart, NCL has been maintaining high single supplements for solos. However, I haven't changed my strategy which is never to book until after final payment is due. I monitor after that point until a doable fare is available.

I also wouldn't book at that price but I've gotten quite a number of good solo rates since the restart so I disagree on that.  But it does take some creativity to get rates to a more affordable level.  I do book directly with NCL.

Going to Alaska in August. 7days.  No solo supplement (removed in Feb for inside and OV, 6 months in advance).  Obstructed OV, upgraded to large window by booking onboard. Total, fare and taxes, $842.  Obviously, air and FAS drink/ dining packages would be additional. Current price is slightly more now than what I originally paid, onboard booking upgrade currently worth about $900, although that's much higher than normal.  And if I choose to use NCL Mastercard points, the upgrade to balcony (still full solo supplement at this time) would save me about $3k.

I have been watching a few Europe cruises and the trend has been drop the solo sup and discount the insides as the cruise date approaches.

The early season over here does have lower demand, holiday season starts mid July so expect the discount will be smaller.

probably worth keeping an eye on the trends for similar this year

If yours is the 1 May 2024 cruise, Balcony solo with FAS  around $2.5k UK site.