Good News for Alaska itineraries

REOVA

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

There are itineraries that go farther north that don't have all of those.

Thanks and that's good to hear. I would definitely like to go back, but I'll go back on a smaller ship with a more unique itinerary.

I did really like the ports the day of, and we had decent weather in all of them for Alaska... but looking back... it's like "been there, done that" and the "pull" you could say to return is just not there. I just got off a Norwegian Fjord cruise, and there are several ports, I'll definitely go back to to hike again and/or further explore. There are several that are itinerary fillers.

• Like 1

They had most if not all of these things on the Koningsdam May 27-Jun 3 cruise. They had the walk for a cause on the deck 3 promenade as well. I don't know why so many people complain about the promenade. That was my favourite part of the ship. It was so easy to walk with great viewing areas and never many people

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Thanks and that's good to hear. I would definitely like to go back, but I'll go back on a smaller ship with a more unique itinerary.

I did really like the ports the day of, and we had decent weather in all of them for Alaska... but looking back... it's like "been there, done that" and the "pull" you could say to return is just not there. I just got off a Norwegian Fjord cruise, and there are several ports, I'll definitely go back to to hike again and/or further explore. There are several that are itinerary fillers.

Those hikes in Norway are wonderful.  When I cruised there our only question each day was which way, left or right.  We didn’t bother with a single excursion and had very wonderful days each day.  We are going back next year. You are right, Alaska is not quite as accessible for hiking but I seem to find something new every time.  Being in a hot climate I am always looking for a summer escape. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PNWcruzin said:

Just got off the Westy this morning. They had a brunch in the Lido calling it "seafood boil". It cost $35 pp, I said pass.

Thanks for the info. Are you able to confirm if the last lunch was actually the brunch menu posted toward the start of this thread? Never been on Westie. How did you like her? Excited to a different HAL ship!

The ship itself is in great condition. I read many comments about what has really changed, and I hope it's only temporary, is the service. We experienced every lunch and dinner at both the main dining room and PG, the service seems to come to a crawl during the whole service. 

Taking up to half hour just to get them to take your order, followed by another half hour for appetizers, then slow again for main and deserts etc.

Seems many service staff are overwhelmed always. Few times they forgot my salad or appetizer, but didn't say anything, just happy to get a warm main.

I will say that the quality and creative recipe dishes are a good positive direction.

Seems maybe HAL lost plenty of experienced staff to other cruise lines and this is just a temporary thing.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Thanks for the info. Are you able to confirm if the last lunch was actually the brunch menu posted toward the start of this thread? Never been on Westie. How did you like her? Excited to a different HAL ship!

In the Koningsdam group is the brunch shared as up and running on Sundays.

Hopefully I try it next Sunday.

23 hours ago, PNWcruzin said:

Just got off the Westy this morning. They had a brunch in the Lido calling it "seafood boil". It cost $35 pp, I said pass.

Unfortunately, I did not pass.  I had to submerge my hands in at least three inches of hot broth to find the single Dungeness crab portion and endure the broth dripping down my hands as I wrenched the leg portions apart.  Asked by the Lido Manager about my "boil", I offered that a traditional "boil" was not served submerged in liquid and so messy. I was told that the chef was only following the HAL recipe.  My description would be "seafood soup in a huge pot" and have both gloves/extra napkins included.

Here is a proper seafood boil from the Silverking Lodge in Ketchikan:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/alaska-seafood-excursion/20220502_141036-Edit.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

On 6/11/2023 at 5:11 PM, decrepit old man said:

I don't know why so many people complain about the promenade. That was my favourite part of the ship. It was so easy to walk with great viewing areas and never many people

The smaller ships have wide Promenade decks with full unobstructed views and loungers, which some (myself included) enjoy strolling or sitting and watching the seas. The Pinnacle ships are too narrow (especially around turns) and the tenders block the view. 

Screenshot_20230613-100802_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, REOVA said:

The smaller ships have wide Promenade decks with full unobstructed views and loungers, which some (myself included) enjoy strolling or sitting and watching the seas. The Pinnacle ships are too narrow (especially around turns) and the tenders block the view. 

Screenshot_20230613-100802_Facebook.jpg

I LOVE it there and love this picture. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crew News said:

I had to submerge my hands in at least three inches of hot broth to find the single Dungeness crab portion and endure the broth dripping down my hands as I wrenched the leg portions apart.  Asked by the Lido Manager about my "boil", I offered that a traditional "boil" was not served submerged in liquid and so messy. I was told that the chef was only following the HAL recipe.  My description would be "seafood soup in a huge pot" and have both gloves/extra napkins included.

Thanks for your review.  But I have to ask - is it all you can eat?

1 minute ago, OlsSalt said:

Sounds from the prior description  more like ..."Eat All You Can Find"  ...🐡

When DH had it on Eurodam in May, it was not AYCE - you got the bowl of soup, the pot, bread and a dessert, but no refills.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:45 PM, REOVA said:

Four new cocktails feature authentic Alaska glacier ice harvested by state permit among floating glacier bergs in Prince William Sound and prepared to the highest standard under Alaskan authority. Holland America Line is the only cruise line serving glacier ice, giving guests the unique experience of safely tasting real glacier ice from the waters of Alaska.

Interesting to read this and it reminds me of long-ago cruising. On my first Alaska cruise in 1977, I remember an advertised activity being that we could watch from the ship while a tender was launched to bring back glacial ice to the ship. The fun was in watching them locate and retrieve a chunk of ice of the appropriate size.

On its arrival at the ship, the ice was used to create a very large ice sculpture and the shavings were used in some kind of special drink/cocktail/punch that was served alongside.

Not the kind of thing one could get away with now, I imagine.... 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Haha 1

I had to laugh when I saw the part about “cocktails featuring authentic glacier ice”! I had a vision of some poor staff member taking a zodiac out to the glacier with an ice pick and a cooler to transport it in. A bit silly if you ask me! 

• Haha 1