Viking Air

MoBro713

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

When I looked for a better way to go from Bergen to Philadelphia, Viking choice was the only way that we could make the trip with one connection.  While I am not thrilled with getting up early to make the 6:15 am flight, I will get to PHL faster than any other arrangement.  

Bergen is difficult.  Just not that many flights. We will have a 6:05am flight next May, meaning Viking will have us in the Atrium at 3 am!  And then we will have 2 stops. Always a 24+ hour day for us when flying abroad.

We may pay more than Viking Air (likely) but our connections go through ORD and it is notorious for issues, so instead of waiting for them to book us w a 40 min connection, we will gladly sit in airport to make sure we make it. 2 out of 3 years we have missed our connecting flight to Maui because of our airport’s issues w on-time departures.

4 hours ago, CHammond said:

There is a button on the top that says, "Change flights". Click on the button and follow the steps, it will ask what days you want to fly in/out, and then give you options, all with prices next to them. The deviation fee in included  in the prices if you choose a different day.

Thanks.  However the only button showing for me is "Change Seats".  Were you able to make  itinerary changes on MVJ prior to Day 120?  Or perhaps I should deal directly with Viking Air to make the change.  The one flight offered for us is fine, other than we wish to leave a day or two earlier.  

I don’t remember if I made the changes before or after 120 days, strange that only the change seat’s button is showing. If you have paid extra for viking air plus then you can just call and have them make the change, if you don’t have air plus you can call the regular line and tell them to send a message to the air department about changing dates

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Time to do your own flights without Viking air. That’s what we do!

Cannot understand why a premium cruise line, Viking does not offer better flight options, selections and pricing for their customers.  I have used Holland America Flight Ease..  much better experience.  You can book your flight, get your seat assignments and lock in the price the day the flights are open to the public.  Compare cost of business vs. economy vs. economy plus. Change it anytime prior to final payment.  I wish Viking Air plus could work that way.   Would sail them more frequently if so.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Murt22 said:

We may pay more than Viking Air (likely) but our connections go through ORD and it is notorious for issues, so instead of waiting for them to book us w a 40 min connection, we will gladly sit in airport to make sure we make it. 2 out of 3 years we have missed our connecting flight to Maui because of our airport’s issues w on-time departures.

I would agree with you about ORD one hundred percent, except for the experience we had yesterday. Arrived at the airport to fly out and thru TSA security and in the gate area in 30 seconds! Still cannot believe it!

2 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

I would agree with you about ORD

We leave from a smaller airport with connection in ORD - so that is our issue - trying to arrive in time to run to the next gate. We avoid booking through there if possible and usually go through DFW, but think we will have to use United, so its ORD or DEN (which means flying 2 hours west, then fly back east).

On 7/9/2023 at 8:03 PM, EchoIsland said:

Thanks.  However the only button showing for me is "Change Seats".  Were you able to make  itinerary changes on MVJ prior to Day 120?  Or perhaps I should deal directly with Viking Air to make the change.  The one flight offered for us is fine, other than we wish to leave a day or two earlier.  

I've had the Change Flight button appear for me, I've also had it not appear. I haven't taken enough Viking cruises to figure out the pattern.

When it appeared it was very useful -- nicer than calling Viking Air. It's not that I hate talking to people, but seeing prices and times in front of me is nicer than having them all read over the phone.

I get Viking Air only if I get bad flights and I know there are better -- and the new Change Flights prevented a call to Viking Air. The costs seemed reasonable after I checked prices on some ticket web sites. I don't know if it is cheaper or more expensive than Viking Air, but I expect cheaper since they don't have a person sitting on the phone with you for an hour trying different options.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, Windsurfboy said:

What is Viking air like if you want scheduled  business  say 2 weeks before cruise. What are prices like c.f. booking direct

I might have missed something, but I don't think this was answered.

With two weeks before you can get lucky, but you will likely find a shortage of seats you want on flights you want -- Viking Air the same as booking direct. They will try to be helpful, but they can't strap more seats on a plane.

(And per the later discussion, you can now arrange flight changes on My Viking Journey without Air Plus in some case.)

As far as the price difference: Some people have reported getting better deals on their own. But it depends how good you are and how much effort you put into it. And it also depends how far in advance you book and how picky you are on seats and flights.

And it depends how reliable a carrier you choose. If you go with Viking flights then Viking will make more of an effort to get you on the cruise than if you schedule your own flights.

I too have had some frustration with Viking Air regarding booking a charter flight from Miami to Manaus in Dec. The agents were all pleasant, polite but their level of training varies.  The best luck I have had was sending a text toTellus@viking.com.  I have always received a prompt phone call back with an agent that could solve problems.  Has anyone had any experience with the charter flight?  It is operated by National Air, departing 830am from Miami.  An airbus 330, seat assignments at gate.  No wifi or entertainment according to their website.  The Viking agent says it is all economy however the seat map shows some upgraded seats.  Thanks

so many complaints.  While I prefer nonstop flights, Viking air with one connection is ok. Viking air will save you money.  If it doesn't, book your own air and transfers. Often transfers can be costly.  Just did an Oceania cruise using Oceania air....2 connections made for a very stressful trip. 

• Thanks 1

I have now been on hold (mostly) for 45 minutes.  The issue:  Originally booked January 4 Sydney to LAX, but last night received notice that now booked January 3 Sydney-Vancouver-LAX.  They said they can move us back to January 4th flight for an additional $600!

This is business class but originally on United and new flight Air Canada which only flies 737 Vancouver to LAX.

Note that this change was initiated by Viking!

Andy has left cruising with Viking due to the Los Angeles Office and I understand why.  Stay tuned as to how this turns out.

2 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I have now been on hold (mostly) for 45 minutes.  The issue:  Originally booked January 4 Sydney to LAX, but last night received notice that now booked January 3 Sydney-Vancouver-LAX.  They said they can move us back to January 4th flight for an additional $600!

This is business class but originally on United and new flight Air Canada which only flies 737 Vancouver to LAX.

Note that this change was initiated by Viking!

Andy has left cruising with Viking due to the Los Angeles Office and I understand why.  Stay tuned as to how this turns out.

Success with flights put back to original arrangement for no additional cost.....except two hours of my valuable retirement time.  Now back to my consulting and billable hours to pay for the cruise

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

They said they can move us back to January 4th flight for an additional $600!

Not quite the same situation, but has anyone else noticed that virtually every requested (i.e. a preferred) flight from Viking Air Plus results in an extra cost.  We book the Viking Air with the initial booking but Viking tends to change the pricing the minute you opt to select your flights.  I know airlines are going crazy with pricing, but Viking apparently won't honor their initial price unless you let them book the flights they select for you.  The standard response is the preferred flight is not part of their contracted rate and only available for a fee differential.

3 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Not quite the same situation, but has anyone else noticed that virtually every requested (i.e. a preferred) flight from Viking Air Plus results in an extra cost.  We book the Viking Air with the initial booking but Viking tends to change the pricing the minute you opt to select your flights.  I know airlines are going crazy with pricing, but Viking apparently won't honor their initial price unless you let them book the flights they select for you.  The standard response is the preferred flight is not part of their contracted rate and only available for a fee differential.

Nope.  Just booked Viking air for our BIE cruise next May.  Our TA Called Air+, gave them our preferred flights, they said fine no extra charge.  And, we had a $400 pp flight credit too.  So we did quite well.  We saved about 28% off business class tix over what I could have done myself.  I will say, that I have had to pay the extra fee once before, but still ended up saving by going through Viking Air +.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I will say, that I have had to pay the extra fee once before, but still ended up saving by going through Viking Air +.

In the past it's never been a problem, but lately it has.  Of course the last two bookings, we asked for direct flights to Europe with our Business seating.  Maybe it's just the combination of those two requests that drives the price up. 

3 minutes ago, Mitina said:

In the past it's never been a problem, but lately it has.  Of course the last two bookings, we asked for direct flights to Europe with our Business seating.  Maybe it's just the combination of those two requests that drives the price up. 

Perhaps that’s it.  From Santa Fe we cannot fly non stop to any place in Europe, we have to go through a gateway city.  So if Viking wants our business they have to fly us to and through Denver, SLC, Dallas, Atlanta, or Chicago.  But even so, once to those cities, we can usually get a non-stop to Europe.  Athens was the exception, where we had to go Atlanta-AMS-Athens. And Bergen will be an exception next year.  We have to fly to AMS and then on to SLC, then home 

3 hours ago, Mitina said:

I know airlines are going crazy with pricing, but Viking apparently won't honor their initial price unless you let them book the flights they select for you.  The standard response is the preferred flight is not part of their contracted rate and only available for a fee differential.

It has NOTHING to do with airline pricing, and everything to do with what the contracted flight arrangements are.  That "initial price" is for the flights, dates, routings and carriers that are covered at the basic level of their contract.  If you are asking for a "preferred flight" that is not a part of that contract, you are now dealing with pricing on the spot market, or at a premium price level within the contracted fares.  It has nothing to do with "honoring" an initial flight.  Get that concept out of your head.

And some folks may be on the "good" side of those contracts, others on the "bad".  All part of buying your air from the cruiseline.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Athens was the exception, where we had to go Atlanta-AMS-Athens. And Bergen will be an exception next year.  We have to fly to AMS and then on to SLC, then home 

There is limited non-stop service from the USA to ATH.  And no non-stop service to Bergen.  Connections are pretty much a given for those cities, like many others in the world.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

There is limited non-stop service from the USA to ATH.  And no non-stop service to Bergen.  Connections are pretty much a given for those cities, like many others in the world.

N/S to ATH that I know of:

PHL (Summer), JFK, EWR 

Further thought problem.  Even if you completely fill a flight with nothing but roughly 300 cruise passengers -- how are those other 600 Viking cruisers going to get to Athens?  It's not just about one passenger, but hundreds and hundreds.

Fact of life:  There's only so much lift on flights between two airports.

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you are asking for a "preferred flight" that is not a part of that contract, you are now dealing with pricing on the spot market, or at a premium price level within the contracted fares.

Understand about limits due to contractual agreements.  We've used Air Plus for years and it just seems to be occuring more often now.  Within these contracts, air flexibility is limited unless willing to pay spot market prices.  And the air differential we were quoted seemed comparable to booking with airline direct.