Diners or restaurants

lenquixote66

When I was growing up there was only one Diner in the area where I lived .Similiar to the movie Diner guys went there on Saturday nights after going out with their girlfriends to discuss the events of the evening.The last time we were in a diner was about 2019.

Restaurants are our place of choice currently.

I'm curious now. I've visited America on several occasions over the last 40+ years and have eaten in a goodly number of places, some of  which have had the word "diner" in their name.  Like the "West Taghkanic Diner" in Ancram, NY.

But I've never really understood the difference between a "diner" and a "restaurant". Is it about how casual a place may be - although I've had very casual food in places that call themselves restaurants? Is it about furnishings and decoration - although I know that diners are not always all chrome or fake railways carriages. The one I mentioned earlier is all chrome but Henry's Diner in Burlington, VT isn't.

So what might make a place a diner or a restaurant?

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend of mine and his wife only went to dinner at Del Rio when there went out by themselves .I only went there twice.

It's Rest In Peace Now...

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was there in 2006 and 2007.I worked with people who lived in Bensonhurst and on Saturdays I often went to the Vegas Diner.

Vegas Original Bay Ridge......Rest In Peace......Chinese

Vegas 2 Bath Beach..........Rest In Peace.........Japanese...

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Vegas Original Bay Ridge......Rest In Peace......Chinese

Vegas 2 Bath Beach..........Rest In Peace.........Japanese...

The last time I was in a Brooklyn restaurant was March 2016 ,an Italian restaurant on Ocean Ave and Ave.X

We have a number of diners in our area. Most are the larger garish type with an enormous menu where not much is actually good. A few are those smaller, family-run types with a more limited menu and lots of good, homemade food. It took us some time to find the one of them that has the best club sandwich platter in town. They cook their own turkey breast for the turkey club, the fries are crisp, and it comes with a side of homemade coleslaw with just the right balance of sweet and sharp. The only thing it is missing is a pickle, strangely.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We have a number of diners in our area. Most are the larger garish type with an enormous menu where not much is actually good. A few are those smaller, family-run types with a more limited menu and lots of good, homemade food. It took us some time to find the one of them that has the best club sandwich platter in town. They cook their own turkey breast for the turkey club, the fries are crisp, and it comes with a side of homemade coleslaw with just the right balance of sweet and sharp. The only thing it is missing is a pickle, strangely.

I have always wondered about diner menus especially those with 10 pages from top to bottom, left to right full of items as large as an old Movie Panel in a theater. And everything is made FRESH according to the wording.

I totally agree with you about the Mom & Pop Lunchettes are far superior in quality and even generous quantity. Fresh items in every aspect takes time prepped but the results are great.

I am the son of a father that was a chef and was taught to avoid commercial items if it can be made at home. And it is very rewarding outcome.

At this time of year, I always enjoy heading to the garden for those fresh grown herbs to escalate the flavors.

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I have always wondered about diner menus especially those with 10 pages from top to bottom, left to right full of items as large as an old Movie Panel in a theater. And everything is made FRESH according to the wording.

I totally agree with you about the Mom & Pop Lunchettes are far superior in quality and even generous quantity. Fresh items in every aspect takes time prepped but the results are great.

I am the son of a father that was a chef and was taught to avoid commercial items if it can be made at home. And it is very rewarding outcome.

At this time of year, I always enjoy heading to the garden for those fresh grown herbs to escalate the flavors.

We had occasion to visit a "Greek" diner in Milwaukee that had an enormous menu of American, Italian, Mexican, etc., food, with a small section in an obscure part of the menu that promised "family recipes with a taste of Greece." Believe me, all their food tasted of grease!

Another, more homey, restaurant in Milwaukee called "The Olde Dinner Bell" (we dubbed it the old dinner hell) had colorful descriptions on their menu, such as fried chicken, "with a hint of the south." Friends dining there with us one evening asked what was the hint of the south, and my husband shot back with, "Don't marry your sister." We were laughing so hard, other diners were staring. 

When I have time, I do enjoy cooking, and especially making dishes fresh and from scratch to the extent possible. And when I don't have time, or am just tired, then we fall back on the old favorites in town for excellent pizza, Italian, or diner fare, among others.

One of the things I most enjoy about cruising is getting a break from either preparing a meal or having to figure out where to go out for dinner. And the plus for me is the availability of a wide variety of cuisines, since my DH isn't as fond as I am of, for example, Indian food.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:07 AM, Harters said:

I'm curious now. I've visited America on several occasions over the last 40+ years and have eaten in a goodly number of places, some of  which have had the word "diner" in their name.  Like the "West Taghkanic Diner" in Ancram, NY.

But I've never really understood the difference between a "diner" and a "restaurant". Is it about how casual a place may be - although I've had very casual food in places that call themselves restaurants? Is it about furnishings and decoration - although I know that diners are not always all chrome or fake railways carriages. The one I mentioned earlier is all chrome but Henry's Diner in Burlington, VT isn't.

So what might make a place a diner or a restaurant?

A good question.  The history of diners originated with the US railroads.  Dining cars were being built by the end of the 1800’s.  They were called dining parlors or “diners” for short.  Then there were the lunch wagons of the 1800’s.  As the horse drawn lunch wagons morphed into more permanent dining establishments the prebuilt diner came into being…an inexpensive way to break into the restaurant business.  Among these was the Worcester Dining Car Company In Worcester, Massachusetts.  They built complete restaurants with a full kitchen counter service and booths.  These were delivered all over the New York and New England region.  They resembled a railroad dining car.  A lot of them were built with the same gleaming stainless steel that you found on the railroad cars.  Hence the concept of the diner.  We have a couple of outstanding examples right here in Somerville, Massachusetts…Google…The Rosebud Cafe and Kelly’s Diner and you’ll get the idea.

2 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We had occasion to visit a "Greek" diner in Milwaukee that had an enormous menu of American, Italian, Mexican, etc., food, with a small section in an obscure part of the menu that promised "family recipes with a taste of Greece." Believe me, all their food tasted of grease!

WOW, that's Sad about Grease? Living in Brooklyn especially near Bay Ridge, Our Greek is Greek, no grease. We must have about 1 dozen to count. Our best is Something Greek. But some of the diners are but wouldn't eat it in there. Except for the diner, the Greek Restaurants are ONLY Greek cuisine. Grease doesn't go here.

When I have time, I do enjoy cooking, and especially making dishes fresh and from scratch to the extent possible. And when I don't have time, or am just tired, then we fall back on the old favorites in town for excellent pizza, Italian, or diner fare, among others.

As an alternative, we do have our favorite Italian, Chinese and Greek. We even get items to extend there stay in the house for few more days. That is to break the KP duty ice that is ongoing. Actually the kitchen is my playground and cooking stores are my toy stores. Can't leave one without buying something. We have an avenue called 3rd Avenue that would take you several years to hit each restaurant. It's a real melting pot of ethics and cuisine. Oh btw can't leave out the Irish, Steakhouses and Health related.  

One of the things I most enjoy about cruising is getting a break from either preparing a meal or having to figure out where to go out for dinner. And the plus for me is the availability of a wide variety of cuisines, since my DH isn't as fond as I am of, for example, Indian food.

I have actually lost close to 15 lbs and still going for more the next 18 day before sailing. I needed to due to cabin fever from the winter but also for the future treats on board. I like to cruise to enjoy the food and selections that I can't make at home but also I don't want to make at  home. I want to be catered to. Let them shop, prep, cook, clean and put away. I want some one to put a napkin on my waist and ask me my selections. I want to go Hummmmmmm....  Yes, I am a good boy and clean my plate up. I alway promise my wife I won't lick the plate....lol.

Sailing is truly another world to enjoy!

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

A good question.  The history of diners originated with the US railroads.  Dining cars were being built by the end of the 1800’s.  They were called dining parlors or “diners” for short.  Then there were the lunch wagons of the 1800’s.  As the horse drawn lunch wagons morphed into more permanent dining establishments the prebuilt diner came into being…an inexpensive way to break into the restaurant business.  Among these was the Worcester Dining Car Company In Worcester, Massachusetts.  They built complete restaurants with a full kitchen counter service and booths.  These were delivered all over the New York and New England region.  They resembled a railroad dining car.  A lot of them were built with the same gleaming stainless steel that you found on the railroad cars.  Hence the concept of the diner.  We have a couple of outstanding examples right here in Somerville, Massachusetts…Google…The Rosebud Cafe and Kelly’s Diner and you’ll get the idea.

I smile when I see a Dining Car - Car....in NYC which are very little if any anymore.

CGT - that's really interesting info. The history makes perfect sense why a "diner" might be railway carriage (real or fake). I'd often wondered why that was the case. And probably explains why diner food seems to be mainly breakfast and lunch, rather than fancier "dinner food".

I wish I had your two diners near me - I'd be a regular. By the by, I noticed that the Rosebud menu mentiones "omelettes", spelling it in the British/French way rather than what I thought was the more common American spelling of "omelet". Is that just them or is it a more typical New England spelling?

1 hour ago, Harters said:

CGT - that's really interesting info. The history makes perfect sense why a "diner" might be railway carriage (real or fake). I'd often wondered why that was the case. And probably explains why diner food seems to be mainly breakfast and lunch, rather than fancier "dinner food".

I wish I had your two diners near me - I'd be a regular. By the by, I noticed that the Rosebud menu mentiones "omelettes", spelling it in the British/French way rather than what I thought was the more common American spelling of "omelet". Is that just them or is it a more typical New England spelling?

I always prefer the French version of omelette.  Sadly a lot of restaurants use the shortened term.