Walkers on Tenders

mcrcruiser

All I can say is that last year my DH used his walker just like the one pictured twice on the Koningsdam tenders.  The crew were very good helping on and off the tenders and helping with the walker.  A lot depends on how easily the user can mannouver getting on and off the tenders, and how rough the sea is.  An added advantage is since it folds up, it is not really in the way on the ship either in public venues or in the cabin.

Thank you  all for your   answers  . We are   going to the gym  via silver sneakers ,to get stronger  for thee tenders  . 

Now the next  thing we need to find out about is   how this  walker will work on land in the South Sea islands of French Tahiti 

59 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thank you  all for your   answers  . We are   going to the gym  via silver sneakers ,to get stronger  for thee tenders  . 

Now the next  thing we need to find out about is   how this  walker will work on land in the South Sea islands of French Tahiti 

DH and I don't think there would be a problem on any of the islands in French Polynesia.  We have been to all the islands and they are fairly developed.  To give you an idea,  check out the Fleet Report and Daily for yesterday, June 8.  Raitea was the featured port, and several people posted pictures of the island.

3 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

You need to be strong enough to go down, and up, a flight of stairs to get to the tender if you are on the Volendam and Zaandam. Those ships don’t have an elevator to the tender loading platform which is on A deck.

The OP is booked on the KDam.

18 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

All I can say is that last year my DH used his walker just like the one pictured twice on the Koningsdam tenders. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Did you fly with the walker 

My DH has an identical one to your DH's walker (the one pictured) and I've been puzzling over what one does with a walker during flights.

Do you gate check the walker like a baby stroller? And, if you gate check it, how do you manage the walker from check-in, through security and to your gate or between gates at connecting airports when your DH is using airport wheelchair assistance (if he does)?

Or do you check the walker in with your checked luggage?  If so, do you need a case, cover, or similar to put it in?

Many thanks, in advance, for any tips.

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Did you fly with the walker 

My DH has an identical one to your DH's walker (the one pictured) and I've been puzzling over what one does with a walker during flights.

Do you gate check the walker like a baby stroller? And, if you gate check it, how do you manage the walker from check-in, through security and to your gate or between gates at connecting airports when your DH is using airport wheelchair assistance (if he does)?

Or do you check the walker in with your checked luggage?  If so, do you need a case, cover, or similar to put it in?

Many thanks, in advance, for any tips.

I wish I could help you, but we were in Arizona when we cruised on Koningsdam, so we drove to San Diego.  If you gate check the walker, it is loaded into the plane from the jet way at the plane from what we've seen.  We have a bag for the walker, but I don't think it's much protection for the walker in the cargo hold.  

A hard sided case checked with the bags at check-in would be the best protection, and I think it would not be part of the luggage allowance.  In that case, you could request wheelchair assistance in both airports, or a ride in one of the electric carts I've seen in some airports.  My best advice would be to check withnthe airline.

19 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for your response, suggestions, and ideas. (Like you, we've been driving.) I've found the various airlines' websites aren't terribly informative and trying to reach a knowledgeable rep is hit or miss. But, you're right, there must be some source for good information. Thanks!

We've seen people use thie walker up to the plane and have it stored in the cargo hold.  We're pretty sure they will bring the walkers up to the plane when theynstart unloading the luggage.

Maybe someone who's flown with their walker will step in with more advice.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser

6 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I understood OP was asking about ability to take the walker on a tender not a plane. Maybe I misread the question.

No you didn't misread the question.  Someone asked how we handled the walker on the plane  getting to the ship.  Several of us were nice enough to answer the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1