MyNCL Additional Item to Purchase

BirdTravels

When we first started cruising, you had to rent loungers and tip the pool attendant to set them up for you. What if you saw the following items under Explore and Plan. And you had to rent your lounge chairs? Prices below are daily fees. 

IMG_6084.thumb.jpeg.4c70a1943b4984911a7230de60e001fa.jpeg

Just a thought for NCL to see what land-based resorts charge. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Most lines now have a restricted, capacity controlled area at a cost that achieves the same thing.

I'm not one to lounge by the pool but I've seen the towels saving loungers when I've been up there.  Vibe would seem to solve that but doesn't demand outstrip supply there?  

I could see a market for rentals by the day on the main deck, though there would be backlash:  It would be viewed as another of those "nickel and dime" things for people to complain about.  But it could solve the chair hog problem and it's a potentially lucrative new revenue stream.  I could see pricing it a bit at maybe 1/2-3/4 the Vibe per day cost.

Rental does not solve the chair hog it monetises it

Just end up with different people holding the chairs not using them.

What is needed is for the chairs to be used.

If there was to be monitoring I would cut the absent time to 15mins enough to go for bathroom break, get a drink or grab a snack.

More than that, like lunch, tough give up your space and back of the queue for another one.

Will still have a problem with groups holding more than they need,    

We don't lounge, would much prefer if they just had more covered(shade/dry) space with good bar service.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Rental does not solve the chair hog it monetises it

Just end up with different people holding the chairs not using them.

Given NCL's financials, monetizing is a good thing.  And I suspect, depending on the price point, it would dissuade someone from buying a chair if they didn't expect to use it for a substantial part of the day.

• Like 1

Wow …. Have never been to a land-based resort other than a “resort for a day” whilst on a cruise ship at a port. They usually have day fees that include loungers. 

I can understand the lure of not fighting chair hogs but wow… those prices are crazy! Again emphasizes the lure of cruising on a floating resort at sea. Yeah… there’s some “nickel and diming” but 200$ for a lounger alone is a heck of a lot of dimes! 

warmest, Amy

• Like 3

Well, there are lines that are sort of doing this.  They have taken space around or near the pool and set up "cabanas" which they sell for the cruise.  Granted it generally includes other perks such as butler service, but it's still pricey to basically get a guaranteed lounger on the pool deck.   But I'm not a pool deck person so it isn't something I'd be interested in.

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

When we first started cruising, you had to rent loungers and tip the pool attendant to set them up for you. What if you saw the following items under Explore and Plan. And you had to rent your lounge chairs? Prices below are daily fees. 

I would just order one of these from Amazon and pay for next day delivery to me at the hotel.

Amazon.com : Best Choice Products Folding Zero Gravity Outdoor Recliner Patio Lounge Chair w/Adjustable Canopy Shade, Headrest, Side Accessory Tray, Textilene Mesh - Beige : Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Thank you. I am sure NCL can do its own independent analysis.

No resort I've ever been to.....and I've been to a lot of resorts. We can and regularly do get an entire, 1800 sq ft furnished condominium with three bedrooms for $200 per day, multiple day beds at multiple pools included for entire family. No problem getting daybeds either, a stark contrast to cruise ships.

I highly recommend you to do some more research online. Renting daybeds for fee is unusual, although it would not surprise me if NCL would try this, for our convenience, of course.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Given NCL's financials, monetizing is a good thing.  And I suspect, depending on the price point, it would dissuade someone from buying a chair if they didn't expect to use it for a substantial part of the day.

It might dissuade someone from cruising NCL. Foolish strategies implemented solely in the name of monetization can backfire.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phillygwm said:

That's a price point you could end up with a load of empty chairs all day that no one can use.

What about sharing? if you book one would you be allowed to sublet?

You could add more value while annoying other guests, like priority drinks service, cool towels on sunny days,  reserved table at the buffet for lunch...

Maybe an evening auction(get those park west people on it) for chairs let the passengers set a price point.

or  do the tender thing, you have to join a line for the prime positions and make that a prime time like theatre show to anooy as many as possible and have theline snake through key traffic areas.

Chairs as bingo prices to up the bingo take..... 

NCL might be better focusing on making the product more attractive not less.

Get people wanting to pay  more for their cruises

With all the hidden discounts those headline prices are imaginary.

Discount coupons,  we just got 2 more(20% and 10%) no idea why and see others seem to get plenty as well.

Low ball upgrade bids,  our min to a balcony was around 1/3 of the asking i think max was around the asking.

Air BOGOF,  in the UK its credits which can be enough to pay for the flights and sometimes drop the total cost

A very common theme across all lines as the cutbacks kick in is I am looking at other options, even the most loyal.

For some it once and done  but plenty continue to look at other options and mix up their bookings.

Loving the late bargains, one UK operator has long cruises hitting £35pppd(inc grats) AI its under £65.

Getting NCL(inc FAS and grats) into the £80pppd range before the coupons . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, insidecabin said:

That's a price point you could end up with a load of empty chairs all day that no one can use.

What about sharing? if you book one would you be allowed to sublet?

You don't want to overengineer things where you'd need to devote a lot of crew to the task, which would wind up costing the line.  Transfer capabilities would probably get too complex; you don't want a secondary market (taken to a ridiculous conclusion, creating scalpers?)  Neither do you want to cannibalize Vibe customers, as this would presumably be priced well below Vibe.  Could it be "Vibe light"?  Perhaps discounted/free at off-peak times (i.e. port days?)   Less than all-day passes?  There are numerous possibilities.  I'll leave the specifics to the professionals but the point, going back to OP, is just freeing up chairs for people who would put them to use while creating some additional revenue for the cruise line.

13 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

It might dissuade someone from cruising NCL. Foolish strategies implemented solely in the name of monetization can backfire.

But this is not solely in the name of monetization; that's just a nice by-product.  I'd imagine it's frustrating for those who don't want to get up at 6 AM (or whenever it opens) to stake your claim.  This ensures that you'll have a chair when you get up there.  Ideally, you'd want the price to be enough to dissuade chair hogs but not so much that you're left with a sea of empty chairs.  

Edited by phillygwm

On 6/10/2023 at 12:37 AM, BirdTravels said:

Just a big NO!

This is not the way to solve the chair hog issue, which I think is overexaggerated. Why would you give NCL another idea to charge us more money? Many of us cruise because it is not like a land based resort. NCL does not need to charge what the resort does for a basic amenity like a chair!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 6:50 AM, insidecabin said:

Most lines now have a restricted, capacity controlled area at a cost that achieves the same thing.

NCL its Vibe.

Also there are the additional cost rental like the cabana

People still chair hog in Vibe. I've seen them "claim" seats at the bar as well as the regular loungers.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

People still chair hog in Vibe. I've seen them "claim" seats at the bar as well as the regular loungers.

We need vibe plus that includes the lounger.

NCL missing a trick again.

I do regular bar stools plenty of techniques to move people on if someone sits in your seat.

On 6/10/2023 at 6:59 AM, phillygwm said:

I'm not one to lounge by the pool but I've seen the towels saving loungers when I've been up there.  Vibe would seem to solve that but doesn't demand outstrip supply there?...

Probably depends on the ship, and maybe the itinerary. Was on the Getaway in the Caribbean in May. Only went to the Vibe a few times, but it was never crowded. Sometimes it was even empty. Weather was gorgeous the whole trip too.