Travel Insurance Emergency Evacuation due to unrest

Hi All,

A few months back someone mentioned travel insurance where you can pick your location if are evacuated medically.  Also was an option where they will go in rescue in the event of political unrest. 

I have searched the boards and I cannot find it.  Does anyone know where I can find it?

thanks

• Like 1

MedJet Assist.  Easily found online.  They're not insurance, per se, as they are quick to point out.  Strictly a travel evacuation company that offers "membership."  Basic gets you medically evacuated to a hospital of your choice at home.  (This assumes your hospital can take you; if not, then another one in your home town or closest available.)  

The political unrest evac is a supplemental add-on called "Horizon."  Roughly another 20% cost.

We learned about them on this forum; have been "members" for many years now; have never needed them.  But who knows what tomorrow may bring?

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, basor said:

TravelGuard offers medical upgrade for evacuation to hospital of choice and also a security rider to deal with political unrest on several of their policies

Didn't know about them.  So there ya go, More Ports; two options!

Thanks guys, great info!!!  I sold a minority interest in my company to a PE group and they are big big on insurance.

We are on Nautica next month going to Israel.  Israel is usually quite safe as a country but it seems that there are always rockets being launched all around them!    

I have Allianz annual now and they evac to the nearest facility that can address your medical issue as opposed to your choice.

Better safe than sorry.

We have been members of Medjet for years. Luckily we have never needed to use them. We have both medical evac and political unrest coverage. I think it’s worth it. 

9 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Thanks guys, great info!!!  I sold a minority interest in my company to a PE group and they are big big on insurance.

We are on Nautica next month going to Israel.  Israel is usually quite safe as a country but it seems that there are always rockets being launched all around them!    

I have Allianz annual now and they evac to the nearest facility that can address your medical issue as opposed to your choice.

Better safe than sorry.

To be clear, Medjet will only transport you when you have already been hospitalized. Then they will move you from the hospital where you are to a hospital of your choice near your home.  Read Medjet's policy carefully. 

18 minutes ago, avalong said:

To be clear, Medjet will only transport you when you have already been hospitalized. Then they will move you from the hospital where you are to a hospital of your choice near your home.  Read Medjet's policy carefully. 

Yes, ALWAYS read the full terms and conditions of any policy.  Next best is to purchase from an insurance broker (we use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - no extra cost to the traveler) and ask them.  If they give an affirmative answer about coverage, ask any broker or agent to *point* you to the exact terms of the policy that does indeed cover the concern.  Another advantage of a broker is that they are likely to ask you some questions and either suggest policies that are a better fit, based upon your answers, or to point out why something that might be a concern isn't covered.  (In one case, TIS knew enough about our situation from previous policy purchases and claims, and Steve, the owner, actually reminded me of a reason why we did NOT need that insurance for that particular trip anyway.  Yup, he talked himself right out of a sale.  We never forgot that! 🙂  )

Note that with MJA, one needs to be already admitted to a hospital as an *inpatient*, not ER or observation, for their coverage to kick in.

We get the annual policy, or did pre-Covid while we were still traveling a lot.

There was one time when I was in hospital overseas (not cruise-related), and we started mumbling, "... should we call MJA...?"  Those apparently were the magic words ( 😉 ), as I soon started to recover!

At age 75, they do require medical underwriting (not before that age), and we were a bit wary about whether DH would be "accepted".  There was a short form for the traveler, and another short form for the physician.  He was "accepted" for another annual membership within a few days.  That policy costs a bit more than the regular (under 75) membership.

There are also "per trip" memberships.

What matters to us is that WE would get to decide to go to a hospital that WE decided was "better".  No need to get approvals of beancounters or local medical staff, who may not want to declare themselves "unable" to provide proper care, etc.

MJA definitely falls in the SWAN category:  Sleep Well At Night!

GC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DOJO466 said:

Shoot missed that when I signed up yesterday.

You might try calling to see if they will reprice it.

Or there may be a free review period, in which case you could just cancel and re-purchase.

If you purchased through a travel insurance broker, ask them for help.

GC

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

Shoot missed that when I signed up yesterday.

The easiest way to get the AARP discount is to visit AARP's website, navigate to travel benefits, scroll down to MedJet Assist and click on it.  That click will redirect you to the AARP discount membership page on MJA's own website where you can sign up knowing that your discount will be applied.

Edited by DrHemlock

For those who have an American Express Platinum Card, one of the benefits is Medical Evacuation as long as you are 100 miles from home.  There is no need to book your trip with them.  To me that is worth its price in Platinum. 

I do not buy evacuation insurance since we carry that card.

Terri

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

For those who have an American Express Platinum Card, one of the benefits is Medical Evacuation as long as you are 100 miles from home.  There is no need to book your trip with them.  To me that is worth its price in Platinum. 

Terri

Could you please post the link for this benefit - did a quick check and did not find this benefit.  TIA

Edited by basor

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Medical evacuation is a tricky term. Usually it means evacuating you to a nearby-ish hospital. Medjet will bring you from that hospital to one near your home. What does American Express mean by "medical evacuation," I wonder.

3 hours ago, basor said:

Could you please post the link for this benefit - did a quick check and did not find this benefit.  TIA

Premium Global Assist® Hotline‡

When you travel more than 100 miles from home, we can provide you with 24/7 medical, legal, financial or other select emergency coordination and assistance services. Emergency medical transportation assistance may be provided at no cost only if approved and coordinated by Premium Global Assist Hotline. Card Members may be responsible for the costs charged by third-party service providers.‡

I am an Amex Platinum member and am aware of this benefit. However for international trips I still purchase additional med evac insurance such as Medjet. The Amex policy does not cover preexisting conditions and they decide which facility to transport you to which could still be in a foreign country. Medjet transports you to where you want to go which in my case would be my local hospital. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thank you for the link - it is a bit ambiguous so I will call and try to get more clarity.  At first reading, it appears to be more of a co-ordination service as they clearly state that card members will be responsible for third party assistance.  We use TravelGuard where it specifically states medical evacuation to hospital of choice and is primary coverage.  Thanks again for taking the time to provide the link.

I am trying to understand the OP's topic of tying political unrest to medical evac.  All the medical evac policies (including MedJetAssist) have similar language in terms of medical evacuation only happening from an inpatient setting (almost always inpatient to inpatient) with both the attending physician and the insurance company agreeing that the evacuation is "medically necessary" and appropriate.  The only way political unrest might enter into the fray would be if the patient is in a hospital in an area that is too dangerous (due to unrest) in which case there would still need to be agreement of the attending physician and the insurer.  Also consider that if political unrest is of such a concern it may not be reasonable to evacuate anyone due to the inability or risk of bringing in some kind of aircraft.

Some folks do not want to accept that "medical evacuations" are for medical reasons and that the ultimate decision making will be up to the involved physicians and insurer (with the cooperation of the patient).

Hank

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am trying to understand the OP's topic of tying political unrest to medical evac.  All the medical evac policies (including MedJetAssist) have similar language in terms of medical evacuation only happening from an inpatient setting (almost always inpatient to inpatient) with both the attending physician and the insurance company agreeing that the evacuation is "medically necessary" and appropriate.  The only way political unrest might enter into the fray would be if the patient is in a hospital in an area that is too dangerous (due to unrest) in which case there would still need to be agreement of the attending physician and the insurer.  Also consider that if political unrest is of such a concern it may not be reasonable to evacuate anyone due to the inability or risk of bringing in some kind of aircraft.

Some folks do not want to accept that "medical evacuations" are for medical reasons and that the ultimate decision making will be up to the involved physicians and insurer (with the cooperation of the patient).

Hank

I read it as 2 different situations and OP wondering if there is a policy that offers the 2 different issues as part of the policy or available to purchase as a rider.  I believe most of the replies have only addressed the medical part of the question.  Thanks for pointing out that out.

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

OP asked about both "medical" evacuation AND "in the event of political unrest": 

On 6/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, the more ports the better said:

Hi All,

A few months back someone mentioned travel insurance where you can pick your location if are evacuated medically.  Also was an option where they will go in rescue in the event of political unrest. 

I have searched the boards and I cannot find it.  Does anyone know where I can find it?

thanks

I thought that MJA had a higher (= more expensive) level of coverage where they would help in non-medical situations.  (Was that called "Horizon"?)

Unrest would probably qualify, but I'm not sure if they would operate in a war zone... sort of like MJA did not initially handle Covid patients (although they later did).

Also, Hank, MJA does NOT require that "medically necessary" condition; that is, to us anyway, the key feature of their coverage.  The *patient* decides if the medical care is acceptable, not beancounters or local medical staff (who may be reluctant to declare themselves not able to care for the patient/condition).

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

I thought that MJA had a higher (= more expensive) level of coverage where they would help in non-medical situations.  (Was that called "Horizon"?)

Exactly.  That's what it is, and Horizon is what it's called.  Copied and pasted from their website, Horizon offers in addition to the regular MedJet med-evac service: 

24/7 travel security response and evacuation services due to political threat, terrorism, natural disaster, pandemic and violent crime

24/7 crisis response to kidnap for ransom, disappearance, wrongful detention, blackmail and extortion.

We have it; wouldn't be without it as most of our overseas travel is on our own.