Notes from Queen Mary 2 to the Med (& back)

Host Hattie

thanks so much for posting from your trip. All the Insight Lectures look good, I'd be spoilt for choice!

We are on QA next year to the Fjords - hope we get a similar programme! 

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Not sure what you have planned in Barcelona but the Hospital San Pau is well worth a look, It's quite near the Sagrada Familia. https://santpaubarcelona.org/en/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Fencing is on offer today 

Fencing is fantastic fun, but it's a hard workout. Before smashing my pelvis, I'd go for a run before breakfast, have a shower and then head off to the fencing and after that I'd need another shower as I was dripping with sweat.

• Like 2

Host Hattie,

I strongly recommend visiting the Can Paixano (La Xampanyeria) tapas/cava bar in Barcelona. We think it is a most exciting and fun place with quite the international reputation. It is right near the port. I have recommended it before on the Cunard Board but can't seem to get any takers. I hope you and Mr. HH will give it a try.

Can Paixano (La Xampanyeria)

Avinguda Meridiana 71, 08018 Barcelona

5A70150F-5D3B-4271-8020-3BE60ACD1E89.thumb.jpeg.a9726dedac7eef0068601cdc68a4c1ac.jpeg

• Like 2

We had room service breakfast again and watched the first lecture of the day live in the cabin. Wifi was a bit flakey so we went to buy bears 😄 and had a drink in the Chart Room while catching up with the essentials. I'd booked our Diamond lunch via My Voyage yesterday. We were shown to a window table, great view of the sunbathers !

We both had the chowder and the lemon sole with the sundae for me and the apple pie for him.

We took a stroll along Deck 12, it was a very pleasant temperature and the Boardwalk Cafe was open and popular. There were still loungers available in that area. I went to the theatre to watch the RSC production and then spent the rest of the afternoon napping and enjoying the sun on our balcony. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Host Hattie,

I strongly recommend visiting the Can Paixano (La Xampanyeria) tapas/cava bar in Barcelona. We think it is a most exciting and fun place with quite the international reputation. It is right near the port. I have recommended it before on the Cunard Board but can't seem to get any takers. I hope you and Mr. HH will give it a try.

Can Paixano (La Xampanyeria)

Avinguda Meridiana 71, 08018 Barcelona

5A70150F-5D3B-4271-8020-3BE60ACD1E89.thumb.jpeg.a9726dedac7eef0068601cdc68a4c1ac.jpeg

Hello Jack! 

We appreciate this tip as we will be staying in Barcelona for two nights prior to our first Cunard cruise on the QE. We made note of it after your previous recommendation. Looks to be right up our alley!

According to Google, they're closed on Sundays and Mondays. Fortunately we fly in on Saturday morning so we'll be able to visit. We also plan to snack our way through the Boqueria Market. Two days in Barcelona won't be nearly enough time for us to eat all the delicious things we wish to try! 

Host Hattie, thank you for sharing your journey with us! 🙂 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BeachTunes said:

Hello Jack! 

We appreciate this tip as we will be staying in Barcelona for two nights prior to our first Cunard cruise on the QE. We made note of it after your previous recommendation. Looks to be right up our alley!

According to Google, they're closed on Sundays and Mondays. Fortunately we fly in on Saturday morning so we'll be able to visit. We also plan to snack our way through the Boqueria Market. Two days in Barcelona won't be nearly enough time for us to eat all the delicious things we wish to try! 

Host Hattie, thank you for sharing your journey with us! 🙂 

We are going in October. Having been to Barcelona recommend the food hall at El Cote Ingles. Could give Harrods competition in the prepared food category and more reasonable 

• Like 3

Most definitely wish we were there!!!

Glad to hear you are having a great trip, Hattie 🙂

Thanks for sharing the days with us and those awesome pictures!

On the internet thing....

We just came back from a week in Sevilla, only looked at our phones to used them as a map (as my daughter was pushing my wheelchair all over the city!) and did a few posts to share with family what we were doing.... but that made us decide not to get net package on our Cunard trip x September ...  we have free roaming with our provider so maybe will have a look at mail maybe make a couple of posts when we are in port/ touring, reckon it will make us good to have another trip net free, which by the look of your program, I doubt we will be missing it with all those awesome activities 🙂

Good choice on going to Sitges, not sure how much it has changed, last time we were there was over 15 years ago, but am sure is still an amazing place!!!!!

Looking forward to your next update, keep enjoying!!!!!! ❤️

• Like 2

It was the World Club Party tonight, we accidentally found ourselves in the queue to meet the Captain. As it was shorter we stuck with it ! He gave an entertaining speech and the canapés and sparkling wine were bearable. 

By the time we got to our table the 4 at the other tables were on their main course and chatting away like old friends. One of our reasons for having fixed dining is to avoid the nightly introductory conversations, certainly wasn't an issue as apart from answering my question about the sea bass (good if you like fish) we were completely blanked. Food and service were excellent again, we both had the Roast Beef and the advantage of no conversation was that I finished in time to see the beautiful sunset !

We went to see the folk duo in the Golden Lion and watched the lights of Morocco and Ceuta as we sailed through the Straits of Gibraltar. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It was the World Club Party tonight, we accidentally found ourselves in the queue to meet the Captain. As it was shorter we stuck with it ! He gave an entertaining speech and the canapés and sparkling wine were bearable. 

By the time we got to our table the 4 at the other tables were on their main course and chatting away like old friends. One of our reasons for having fixed dining is to avoid the nightly introductory conversations, certainly wasn't an issue as apart from answering my question about the sea bass (good if you like fish) we were completely blanked. Food and service were excellent again, we both had the Roast Beef and the advantage of no conversation was that I finished in time to see the beautiful sunset !

We went to see the folk duo in the Golden Lion and watched the lights of Morocco and Ceuta as we sailed through the Straits of Gibraltar. 

In my view the 2 other couples deliberately ignored us because they would have rather been sitting in the window seat, it's playground antics from people old enough to be grandparents. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Oh dear Mr HH is here🤦‍♀️

Well, that is exciting. I always wondered if he actually existed. His saintly behaviour over Covid on your last cruise made me wonder if he was real. 🙂🙂

• Haha 7

37 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Welcome, Mr HH.

Hope your wife gives herself a blog badge or whatever it is she gives others who blog. She's doing so brilliantly. 👍

She is concentrating on correcting and marking my spelling and grammar, looking forward to my reward when I manage to achieve 10/10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Quick answer about dance hosts on this voyage. There is a couple who are official dance hosts, and they do indeed have badges, and have been dancing with anyone who needs a partner. Dancing has been fabulous and the Orchestra are superb musicians in the Queens Room, playing great music for dancing, including a wonderful Big Band night last night.

It's a glorious pleasant day today with lots of people relaxng on deck as we sail towards Barcelona. Great on the blog and pics, HH.

• Like 3