Are the wines better in South America?

zitsky

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

On the Eclipse this December.  Usually order by the glass.  Really disappointed by the choices on the Beyond recently.  In Luminae.  I may buy bottles on the Eclipse.

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't recall Celebrity having much different selection in South America than in Europe or the U.S.

I agree--no variation in the ship's wine inventory attributable to the itinerary.

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

I agree--no variation in the ship's wine inventory attributable to the itinerary.

Well I believe the restaurants will save a bottle for you after you open it.  Do they do anything more than putting the cork back in?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Well I believe the restaurants will save a bottle for you after you open it.  Do they do anything more than putting the cork back in?

You are correct that the sommelier will save the opened bottle for you if you have not finished it.  However, I do not think that they do more than just re-cap/cork the bottle--that is my guess as I have never asked.

19 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Not always true. On our South American cruise, the sommelier picked up some local wines that weren't on the official menu. It always pays to ask.

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

They only re-cork and if appropriate refrigerate.    You can also order a bottle in a Specialty and have the unconsumed portion sent to your dining room.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They only re-cork and if appropriate refrigerate.    You can also order a bottle in a Specialty and have the unconsumed portion sent to your dining room.

Should I bring my own wine sealer?  😂

I have a really simple hand vacuum pump.

What about champagne?

On my next cruise I’m traveling with friends.  But they often prefer Pinot Noir and I want Cabernet (with my steak).

Edited by zitsky

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Should I bring my own wine sealer?  😂

I have a really simple hand vacuum pump.

What about champagne?

On my next cruise I’m traveling with friends.  But they often prefer Pinot Noir and I want Cabernet (with my steak).

Order by the glass and then you can have Cab and your friends can have Pinot Noir.

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Order by the glass and then you can have Cab and your friends can have Pinot Noir.

Is this post for real?  😂

You’re missing the point, which is the poor quality of Celebrity wine.  On the Beyond they kept offering me wine from Lodi.  Not exactly fine wine.  And I used to live in the area so I know where and what they are.

Edited by zitsky

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

Really disappointed by the choices on the Beyond recently.  In Luminae.  I may buy bottles on the Eclipse.

Wine choices by the glass in Eclipse two weeks ago were pathetic. She had just returned from Australia so there were quite a few OZ wines available that weren't listed on the menus, but outside of Murano/Tuscan you never knew what you were going to get unless you asked to see a label/specified a brand. If you had a package, they just poured whatever. We received white zin instead of rose and some sweet white instead of Sauv Blanc on many occasions. The only decent red I was able to find by the glass was a Bordeaux blend, only available in Murano. I didn't see anything from Chile or Argentina, etc., anywhere on board. Lots of cheap California and mass producer labels. VERY disappointing, and I'm hardly a connoisseur - just an aficionado of interesting wines from elsewhere in the world. 

12 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

Wine choices by the glass in Eclipse two weeks ago were pathetic. She had just returned from Australia so there were quite a few OZ wines available that weren't listed on the menus, but outside of Murano/Tuscan you never knew what you were going to get unless you asked to see a label/specified a brand. If you had a package, they just poured whatever. We received white zin instead of rose and some sweet white instead of Sauv Blanc on many occasions. The only decent red I was able to find by the glass was a Bordeaux blend, only available in Murano. I didn't see anything from Chile or Argentina, etc., anywhere on board. Lots of cheap California and mass producer labels. VERY disappointing, and I'm hardly a connoisseur - just an aficionado of interesting wines from elsewhere in the world. 

Well excuse me but didn’t you know you’re supposed to bring a case of wine with you?  😂

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Well excuse me but didn’t you know you’re supposed to bring a case of wine with you?  😂

Oh, is that what they mean by "unlimited premium beverage package"? MY BAD! 🤣

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I would, if they knew how to properly store open bottles.

Probably not a big deal at all. A high tannin wine like a cab will be perfectly fine for a few days even if it's just recorked at room temp. Or just finish the bottle. 

• Like 1

Just now, paulh84 said:

Probably not a big deal at all. A high tannin wine like a cab will be perfectly fine for a few days even if it's just recorked at room temp. Or just finish the bottle. 

You can get a really cheap vacuum sealer.  It’s better than nothing.

48 minutes ago, DesertRat46 said:

The difference is pre-covid vs. post-covid. On the Eclipse in 2019 the basic package got you drinkable reds and whites. On the Silhoutte in April the basic drink package was next to worthless, IMO.

Drinkable is obviously a highly subjective term, but both packages offer mass production grocery store wines. I haven't noticed any significant difference pre/post COVID. Supply constraints has been a real problem in the industry but overall I have not to noticed a significant drop off in the quality offer. If they offer higher quality/harder to source wines then the next complaint is the inconsistency in what's offered cruise to cruise. It's a no win scenario. 

I spent a month in Navegantes, Brazil. There are wineries in the hills outside of Navegantes. I was told that Italians and Germans immigrated to Navegantes and started producing wine. Navegantes was the 1st place I had white chocolate and strawberries pizza. We had a port stop near Navegantes on our SA cruise. You might check the shops before you start your cruise. Remember you can bring 2 bottles of wine each now on embarkation. My go to wine on X is chardonnay Mer Soleil reserve. 

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is this post for real?  😂

You’re missing the point, which is the poor quality of Celebrity wine.  On the Beyond they kept offering me wine from Lodi.  Not exactly fine wine.  And I used to live in the area so I know where and what they are.

Yes it was for real.  There are some enjoyable wines by the glass if you are willing to pay the uncharged.