carnival shares

binman2

A lot of people bought between £9-£10 when they were on their way down. We could see a track back shortly as profit takers sell.

For a while, the institutions have been saying £8 ceiling and £6 support. Having broken the ceiling and then some, it will be interesting to see what they set as their next guides.

• Like 1

Having bought at £7 and got our entire investment back within weeks with OBC for our future P&O and Cunard cruises, I have effectively written off the investment so don’t follow the share price. However, rather than the prospect of any appreciation in value, I’m keener to see the future of the company being secure, which means reducing the debt burden and not having to keep slashing prices to fill the capacity (although, of course, we benefit in the short term from the latter 😂). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

A lot of people bought between £9-£10 when they were on their way down. We could see a track back shortly as profit takers sell.

For a while, the institutions have been saying £8 ceiling and £6 support. Having broken the ceiling and then some, it will be interesting to see what they set as their next guides.

I know very little about such matters, but as they are still low compared with pre Covid levels,  I would presume that people would hold onto them, potentially maximising profit rather than short term gain. I would hope institutions and pension funds would do the same if they have them in their portfolios.

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

£9.99 now. Will they break the £10 target before inevitably coming down to earth?

Well beyond that now.  I’m not aware of any Carnival news which could have triggered this surge.  

1 minute ago, Dinglebert said:

Well beyond that now.  I’m not aware of any Carnival news which could have triggered this surge.  

Just as I posted that the reason popped up on my HL newsfeed

Sharecast News) - Analysts at BofA Securities upgraded their recommendation for shares of Carnival from 'neutral' to 'buy'.

They also hiked their target price from $11 per share to $20.

The decision followed meetings with all three of the publicly traded cruise companies in Miami.

Their main takeaway from those meetings was increased confidence that demand in the industry was steady at a time of consumer uncertainty.

So too, they judged that the pricing environment was rational and that booking curves were in line with company expectations.

"In our opinion, the cruise industry's long booking window and strong current demand could allow it to be less susceptible to a slowdown in the leisure consumer relative to other areas of travel," they added.

Among other factors buttressing their improved view on the company were a reduction in balance sheet risk, a greater focus on revenue generation, a better mix of ships in comparison to before the pandemic and the fact that the company0s valuation was not stretched by any metric.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

JP Morgan also upgraded their view. This is pricing in good news expected in the financials to 30 May, on June 22.

Probably much too early to restore the payment of dividends though?

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Probably much too early to restore the payment of dividends though?

Dividends? Now that’s a thought. Dividends didn’t even cross my mind when I bought the shares. Once I’d recouped the investment via OBC I effectively wrote them off in my mind, but some dividends in the future would be an unexpected bonus 😂 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

I bought at £5.40. Now I am tempted to buy at about £10.30. First buy was for OBC, next will be for profit, hopefully !!

Don't bother, I bought in the heady days of £22 per share and I don't think i will see that price again. It is not all doom and gloom though. My shareholder OBC and quarterly dividends have netted me more than the purchase price and this financial year should bring a further £600 OBC 🤑

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Its funny what difference a year makes.... here is the thread from a year ago: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2858381-when-will-carnival-shares-be-worth-buying/

I'm also going to link to this post I made in October 22. 

What is interesting...

1. Josh Weinstein is very much voice of the company now. Leading from the front.

2. He has his own executive team and the market like it.

3. Prices are rising - especially on CCL where lack of availability causes issue.

4. Even Paul Ludlow has a new role.

A lot of the uncertainties about where Carnival, as a corporation, see themselves have gone. They have customer booking endorsement too. The potential recessions are a worry and it won't be 100% plain sailing but the ship is now steaming forward.

This has led to Carnival now have a number of analysts on their side, a three year plan to get back to investment great, record customer deposits, record bookings in Q2 let alone Q1 and this is without the China market. Late last week, one analysts raised their target price to $25 and this lead to the US stock closing at $19 and UK closing at £13. If Q3 is as good as predicted, and Q4 remains in check, £20/$28 by year end looks within possibility.

I've read people elsewhere on CC question why CCL has not kept pace with RCL. The graphs look very similar, just RCL have had a 400% increase on 12 months whereas CCL and NCL have had 100% increases, That for me is key, you don't see company's sustain growth like that. I would expect RCL to peak shortly and maybe fall back 20% as other cruise stocks catch-up. A quarter or two ago RCI were posting great recovery results and CCL's weren't as good. Now the boot is on the other rudder and CCL are posting record breaking results. The market will expect RCL to match that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hargreaves Lansdowne - are a little more pessimistic with the recession struggle with sales and cost pressures still on the cruise lines. Plus the large debt Carnival have built up - will take a while to pay it back, but cant see the price of the shares going down much if at all short or medium term. As long as they weather the storm then the company should be in a reasonable place with all the cost cutting they have done, and bigger ships.