Masquerade evening on Queen Elizabeth

Kis01met

I will be sailing on the Queen Elizabeth to Alaska week if July 27, 2023 and see there will be a masquerade evening. Do they provide a mask or do we need to bring one and I assume that this will be a formal attire evening. All help appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Kis01met said:

Do they provide a mask or do we need to bring one 

I assume that this will be a formal attire evening. 

Typical it is designated as a Gala Evening.

On the QM2, some masks are sold in the shops if they have them available.

We got them before we left for the trip since you have a bigger chance of getting what you would like to select.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kis01met said:

Thank you for this information. It's our first time and really not sure what to expect looking forward to a new experience.

Let me put a few more words in to see if it can set the scene for you.

Cunard puts on Gala nights every few days, and some have a theme such as Roaring Twenties or Masquerade or Black and White.  The dress code for all these nights is formal and is on the Cunard website, as well as countless threads in this board. The overwhelming majority will follow the dress code (or close enough) even on Alaska trips. Not everyone will follow the theme quite so closely, so if you dress up, but don't have a mask (or related) that's absolutely fine, as indicated it's most visible in the Queens Room, occasionally in the Yacht Club/Commodore. Masks at dinner are a bit of a hindrance, but some will do this with style and elegance.

Now you can bring your mask, or buy one on board. It can be a classic Vienna Masked Ball type, or it could be something you make, and it could be quite zany, such as a First Nation Mask or a mask featuring the flag of Alaska (!) or something different. Or you could instead decide to watch what other people are doing, perhaps with half a plan to copy the best idea on your next Cunard trip! (Only to discover they put some other theme on instead, but hey ho).

So dress up for Gala night definitely, if you fancy a mask then you will be warmly embraced for making an effort, but equally there's no harm in admiring the work of other clever Cunarders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We acquired a variety of masks before our trip in 2022, and then they replaced Masquerade with Roaring Twenties, which meant we had two Roaring Twenties galas.

On the original Masquerade night we dressed as planned and donned our masks for a few photos.

We'll probably wear the same outfits next time although my wife's dress has since been modified to fit properly and be short enough to dance in safely without clothes pegs to hold it up.

Having bought some quite intricate masks at extortionate prices such as £15 😀, we eventually went for these, which cost €2 for both as part of a larger order:

https://fr.shein.com/2pack-Plain-Costume-Eye-Shield-p-9710597-cat-3082.html

As others have said, most people don't follow these themes and simply dress for a gala evening.

I believe Black & White (possibly Ice White in Alaska) followed by Red & Gold are probably the most observed, but not strictly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kis01met said:

I will be sailing on the Queen Elizabeth to Alaska week if July 27, 2023 and see there will be a masquerade evening. Do they provide a mask or do we need to bring one and I assume that this will be a formal attire evening. All help appreciated.

The masquerade gala evening is a lot of fun with very little effort. However, quite a few passengers really go all out on their mask creations. About halfway through the evening in the Queens Room there will be a mask review so to speak. The band will play a catchy tune and everyone with a mask will form kind of a conga line on the dance floor and pass before the entertainment host who will judge the masks. No easy task as the mask cover a broad range from highly creative to elegant to satirical to silly. But eventually, one gentleman and one lady are chosen for best mask and each receives a bottle of champagne. It's all a lot of fun. 

Jack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What @Jack E Dawson describes has been my experience as well.  I have brought my own masks to wear from home as I happen to have a few and like coordinating them with my evening gowns.   I  wear them while watching others dance in the Queen's room 🙂 I typically don't wear a mask while eating but definitely afterwards.

Here is a photo of what mine looked like on my last sailing with a masquerade ball when not wearing them 🙂

20181016_010341.thumb.jpg.3a0e76c9ce13cd7b0fde905bb2a6fc52.jpg
I think on this particular sailing there was a stop in Venice so feel that a lot more people participated as a lot of guests purchased while in Venice.

There is generally a mask making activity listed in the program although i have not seen or partipated in it.

tmee

Edited by tmee
the dreaded typo
  • Like 5

On 6/13/2023 at 2:33 AM, Kis01met said:

One time we could not buy a mask onboard I suggest you bring one with you, just off the Queen Elizabeth Yokohama to Vancouver and the masquerade evening brought out some great passenger outfits. We dressed formal on the evening, enjoy the Queen Elizabeth she is certainly looking like a Queen!