Strict arrival times

Babybooface

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Well said Andy.

We always stay overnight in Southampton and get breakfast in our hotel or Carluccios so no panic going to the ships buffet.

Some hotels want you out at 11am and some 12am so if you have a 3.15pm check in you have all of your luggage, valuables and vital medication with you which is inconvenient.

Some people will go to the terminal and at least drop off their main luggage and have the option to see if they can check in or wait or carry hand luggage back to a nearby pub/restaurant in Southampton.

The only time we were in queues was when everyone had to take a test in the terminal.

I have never known a hotel that wants you off the premises, but they do want you out of your room so it can be serviced. In 2017 we watched Hudds Town draw with Sheff Wed in the 1st leg of the championship play off on my tablet, sitting in the breakfast are of the Holiday inn express until about 2:00 pm.

• Like 2

It seems the answer is to arrive by coach.

I have had all times of boarding times,,,even people on the same coach have different times.

Eavesway usually arrive from Liverpool around 13:30 and it’s all on the coach straight through,,,last October a port rep came onto the coach and gave everyone a lettered card,,,,they called the letter as soon as we walked through the door,,,
Same in Feb on Iona,,,straight through at 13:30 checked in then hit the bottleneck that is Security.

As an aside..I sailed Celebrity last month from City terminal and there was no queues.

Does anyone think this is due to Security being before check-in?

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

Interesting following this thread.

Next crujise, Aurora, we're travelling as a party of six and have arranged a small minibus type taxi.  Unlike us, the other two couples don't have priority boarding.  We travel together, so we board together.  The journey takes two and a half hours, so we're not risking bellying up to the terminal at 1530 for reasons stated by others and will be aiming to get there for midday irrespective of the latest allocated boarding time.

The plan is that we will all put our stuff through the wall and f any couple is required to wait in a queue we will simply head off and find a nearby pub and return at the appropriate time.  I appreciate that not everyone is in a position to do this.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
Correction to ship name!
  • Like 8

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Well said Andy.

We always stay overnight in Southampton and get breakfast in our hotel or Carluccios so no panic going to the ships buffet.

Some hotels want you out at 11am and some 12am so if you have a 3.15pm check in you have all of your luggage, valuables and vital medication with you which is inconvenient.

Some people will go to the terminal and at least drop off their main luggage and have the option to see if they can check in or wait or carry hand luggage back to a nearby pub/restaurant in Southampton.

The only time we were in queues was when everyone had to take a test in the terminal.

Why is it inconvenient? We go to Ikea or M&S/Sainsburys. No problem. 

I’m going on my first Saga cruise in a couple of months time.

There are 3 speciality restaurants on the ship, all included in the cruise fare.

I’ve been told that, on shorter cruises, they limit the amount of bookings to the speciality restaurants, so that everyone can have a turn. 

We would like to go to the Nepalese restaurant on our wedding anniversary. This can only be booked when on board, so we will make this a priority. Hopefully we will be able to try the other 2 restaurants over the 10 days of the cruise.

Incidentally, we booked our excursions yesterday. The choice was much less than might be expected on a P&O cruise, but what with the included excursions and some paid ones we have found outings that we want to do. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

It seems the answer is to arrive by coach.

I have had all times of boarding times,,,even people on the same coach have different times.

Eavesway usually arrive from Liverpool around 13:30 and it’s all on the coach straight through,,,last October a port rep came onto the coach and gave everyone a lettered card,,,,they called the letter as soon as we walked through the door,,,
Same in Feb on Iona,,,straight through at 13:30 checked in then hit the bottleneck that is Security.

As an aside..I sailed Celebrity last month from City terminal and there was no queues.

Does anyone think this is due to Security being before check-in?

I definitely agree with you about the positioning of security, I am not sure that the queues at city terminal are much shorter than at P&O, but the process seems slicker, and the fact that you get the worst over at the beginning certainly makes the entire boarding process seem far less stressful.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ccpm said:

I do get priority boarding its OK however in truth I don't give 2 hoots about it. The Premier Inn Nursling where I now usually stay has a Beefeater attached i can lunch, coffee whatever and drive over closer to the time. I have no interest in the priority lunch and when on early just do the usual Muster bits, Peller Ice and a read and I can do that anytime.

Ohh the good old Balmoral at Nursling. I lived in my teens and early twenties a few hundred yards away and had many lively nights in their drinking and playing pool as well as my first illegal drink just up the road at the Horns Inn. For those not wanting to be in a town or a city overnight before a cruise the Premier Inn Southampton North is ideal for a quick drive to the cruise terminals especially berths 101 to 106 (city, horizon and mayflower terminals) where you can drive in via dock gate 20 and not have to drive into the city.

• Like 3

We travel up to Southampton the day before by train, as it takes 5.30-6 hours if there are no problems, so we stay overnight in a nearby hotel. We don't have the option of using a coach as the nearest pickup point to us is Bristol. OH is not in a position to walk back into Southampton to kill time after dropping luggage off and queuing for long periods of time is difficult for both of us.

We were on Arvia last month and although our check in time was 12.15 as we arrived a little early we  joined the queue. 12.15 came and went but we hadn't been called to check in, therefore we went and asked only to be told that they weren't calling for that time yet, but we were allowed in. How much longer would we have had to wait if we hadn't enquired?

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Ohh the good old Balmoral at Nursling. I lived in my teens and early twenties a few hundred yards away and had many lively nights in their drinking and playing pool as well as my first illegal drink just up the road at the Horns Inn. 

Never thought I would see the Horns Inn mentioned on these forums.  Was a regular watering hole for my family for many years, and occasionally still visit as we still live within a mile.  The regular switch when licensing hours were more regulated to the Balmoral or the NRSC depending on what the opening hours were.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Ohh the good old Balmoral at Nursling. I lived in my teens and early twenties a few hundred yards away and had many lively nights in their drinking and playing pool as well as my first illegal drink just up the road at the Horns Inn. For those not wanting to be in a town or a city overnight before a cruise the Premier Inn Southampton North is ideal for a quick drive to the cruise terminals especially berths 101 to 106 (city, horizon and mayflower terminals) where you can drive in via dock gate 20 and not have to drive into the city.

We only live an hour or so from Southampton, but sometimes stay a few days before the cruise in the New Forest. Leisurely breakfast, coffee in the lounge and a few places to go if we have a late boarding time. We.do prefer to get on fairly early so we can bag a few prime restaurant slots.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, molecrochip said:

A surprising large number of those people live local to Southampton.

Hands up that's me.  I may arrive early, but that was always on the understanding as it was that I may have to wait to board.  

With Iona, its the unknown lottery of trying to get into the 710 club at least once at a reasonable time and trying to book the Gin making class before its full.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Well said Andy.

No hotels do not want you out  in the morning they want you out of your room. I am sure they are all delighted to have you waait with them and spend money. The hotel we use will keep our luggage until we want to leave.

The need to be onboard early to make bookings is an issue. If that is influencing arrival times then it’s self defeating.

Maybe certain things like 710 club need to be released at 8am each day for the following day, like the kids club, or at 6pm once everyone has boarded.

Another option is for everyone to be limited to 3 visits to the 710 club so that all those who want to can visit over the course of the cruise.

• Like 16

16 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you @Eglesbrech.

I absolutely agree with you.

We get to choose our seats on BA FOC 7 days before departure, so we do. If folk have a loyalty privilege that let's them book things a bit earlier, doing so isn't selfish.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, daiB said:

No hotels do not want you out  in the morning they want you out of your room. I am sure they are all delighted to have you waait with them and spend money. The hotel we use will keep our luggage until we want to leave.

At our post cruise Hotel in Malta, we needed to check out of the Hotel at 11.00, but they were happy to hold on to our suitcases until 5.00pm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m going on my first Saga cruise in a couple of months time.

There are 3 speciality restaurants on the ship, all included in the cruise fare.

I’ve been told that, on shorter cruises, they limit the amount of bookings to the speciality restaurants, so that everyone can have a turn. 

We would like to go to the Nepalese restaurant on our wedding anniversary. This can only be booked when on board, so we will make this a priority. Hopefully we will be able to try the other 2 restaurants over the 10 days of the cruise.

Incidentally, we booked our excursions yesterday. The choice was much less than might be expected on a P&O cruise, but what with the included excursions and some paid ones we have found outings that we want to do. 

I suggest you book them the day you board, especially if you want a particular restaurant on a set day. The Nepalese restaurant is fabulous. I can highly recommend it. The food in MDR is very good and don’t forget to try the cooked to order fish and chips on the veranda. 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

At our post cruise Hotel in Malta, we needed to check out of the Hotel at 11.00, but they were happy to hold on to our suitcases until 5.00pm.

But checkout really only means vacating your room, you can always lounge about in their lounges, if you just want to kill time.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We get to choose our seats on BA FOC 7 days before departure, so we do. If folk have a loyalty privilege that let's them book things a bit earlier, doing so isn't selfish.

I agree John.

I never say no to my D+ Royal Caribbean benefits.

I booked another cruise today.

Hope I don't appear selfish 😇😂😋

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The need to be onboard early to make bookings is an issue. If that is influencing arrival times then it’s self defeating.

Maybe certain things like 710 club need to be released at 8am each day for the following day, like the kids club, or at 6pm once everyone has boarded.

Another option is for everyone to be limited to 3 visits to the 710 club so that all those who want to can visit over the course of the cruise.

Sensible solutions. People have mentioned on here and elsewhere how unfair it is that everything is booked up before they get on board. Opening bookings at 8 am is a little early for me 9am would be better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I have never known a hotel that wants you off the premises, but they do want you out of your room so it can be serviced. In 2017 we watched Hudds Town draw with Sheff Wed in the 1st leg of the championship play off on my tablet, sitting in the breakfast are of the Holiday inn express until about 2:00 pm.

Of course they don't John @terrierjohn but there is only so much space.

I believe it was our March 2022 Iona cruise which was severely delayed until midnight due to a late arrival because of a medical issue to Lisbon.

We were sitting around the hotel for 9 hours after departing our rooms.

We had stayed 2 nights pre cruise in Southampton and seen everything and shopped plenty in Westquay shopping centre.

BTW I booked another P&O cruise this morning so have 5 booked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

There is a subtle difference between booking a seat on a plane and booking a venue on a ship in that you are guaranteed a seat on the plane but that does not apply with the ship's venue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babybooface said:

As you can’t pull your suitcases around those places. I would imagine . Not everyone has a car to leave luggage in. 

I agree.

Some of us have heart issues and severe arthritis which makes it inconvenient.

Before my heart attack when I was in the gym a lot lifting heavy cases was no problem.

• Like 2