Strict arrival times

Babybooface

12 minutes ago, tring said:

What I would say is lacking, is the information from P&O before the cruise, giving a clear explanation of that system.  The  request to arrive at your embarkation time is in no way sufficient.

I think that's enough for me to expect I might be turned away if I arrive early... 

Screenshot_20230623_215153.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

You couldn’t do that in Ocean or Mayflower they are part of the same building but separate. No idea about Horizon or City 

Where is the separation, as you walk out of arrivals the stairs to the departure lounge are immediately on your right, or am I dreaming?

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

7 hrs ago David 63 said

Cunard do not have the size of ships, and therefore the number of passengers, that P&O and Princess have which may have some bearing on the issue - and perhaps Cunard passengers are better behaved and do as they are told!!

Faye, can you please phone us when you have time, I am running into problems trying to organise post surgery care for Pauline. Rgds John Waller. 

With Princess on many of the cruises ex Southampton there are many passengers flying in from over the pond and are then bussed from London to Southampton so there is some control over when those  passengers arrive.

With P&O the majority of passengers are from the UK and with some there is the attitude "I am on my holidays and I will do as I want"

But this thread was discussing Arcadia which has less passengers than the 3 current Queens.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If RCL, Celebrity and MSC are anything like Princess because many passengers have flights to catch they start disembarkation a lot earlier. Therefore because they are off the ship earlier they can start preparing staterooms and then embark next load of cruiser's earlier.

Celebrity and RCI dont start disembarkation much earlier than P&O, however they do tend to dock back in Southampton earlier than P&O, which does enable them to unload the luggage sooner, but most passengers disembark at similar times to P&O, at least they start at similar times, but do generally empty their ships faster than P & O. passengers arriving by coach than Ame

45 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think that's enough for me to expect I might be turned away if I arrive early... 

Screenshot_20230623_215153.jpg

That looks very clear to me, where is that quote to be found?

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Where is the separation, as you walk out of arrivals the stairs to the departure lounge are immediately on your right, or am I dreaming?

At Ocean that is correct only the seperation is by level. Upstairs is departures and downstairs is arrivals. But there are seperate doors. At Mayflower there is a large seperation at either end of the car drop off.

26 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It's on an email titled 'your holiday checklist' 

Screenshot_20230623_230129.jpg

I did not see that.  I had seen a checklist in the main computer we used to check in and print tickets etc.  and did not see that there.  Would be better if things were just in one place imo though, we get loads of emails about upcoming cruises, some from ages ahead, so emails are not something I focus on I must admit, but thanks for pointing it out.  At least they do notify people then.

Just asked DH and he knew about that email, but we both knew about the embarkation problems from this forum anyway and had made our plans accordingly.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tring said:

I did not see that.  I had seen a checklist in the main computer we used to check in and print tickets etc.  and did not see that there.  Would be better if things were just in one place imo though, we get loads of emails about upcoming cruises, some from ages ahead, so emails are not something I focus on I must admit, but thanks for pointing it out.  At least they do notify people then.

Just asked DH and he knew about that email, but we both knew about the embarkation problems from this forum anyway and had made our plans accordingly.

Yes, fair point. I was possibly checking more than usual because of the publicity. 

We too have a plan in place as I don't want to risk getting stuck in traffic and being late, but it seems it doesn't work for many... 

I think there is still a hope for some in the queue that they might get on a bit early which I understand, but it's no good complaining if you were aware and haven't followed the rules. 

Andy 

• Like 3

It is going to be fun in the winter if P&O persist with this policy.

It is one thing arriving by car early from a long journey having allowed time for the potential hold-ups, and standing outside in warm dry weather. It is a completely different thing to do the same when it is pouring down with rain and the temperatures are plummeting.

The problem is that cruise ships in the UK are an old fashioned business that are struggling to move with the times. Airports *want* you to arrive as early as possible. They delight in the fact you then have time to spend money in the shops and restaurants and bars that they can charge huge rents to.

And so you spend thousands on a 'fly somewhere' holiday and arrive early at the airport - "no problem, come on in and go and have a coffee or a meal somewhere". But spend the same on a 'sail somewhere' holiday and arrive early at the port - "how dare you, stand outside in the rain on the naughty step or 'go away' until it is the approved time to arrive".

Hmm, I wonder which approach will generate return business.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

It is going to be fun in the winter if P&O persist with this policy.

It is one thing arriving by car early from a long journey having allowed time for the potential hold-ups, and standing outside in warm dry weather. It is a completely different thing to do the same when it is pouring down with rain and the temperatures are plummeting.

The problem is that cruise ships in the UK are an old fashioned business that are struggling to move with the times. Airports *want* you to arrive as early as possible. They delight in the fact you then have time to spend money in the shops and restaurants and bars that they can charge huge rents to.

And so you spend thousands on a 'fly somewhere' holiday and arrive early at the airport - "no problem, come on in and go and have a coffee or a meal somewhere". But spend the same on a 'sail somewhere' holiday and arrive early at the port - "how dare you, stand outside in the rain on the naughty step or 'go away' until it is the approved time to arrive".

Hmm, I wonder which approach will generate return business.

In all our 30 plus cruises we’ve never had any issues with embarkation and if we’re early have been allowed inside to sit down and wait  and use the facilities, we were very lucky with the weather and had it been cold  and raining I dread to think what the experience would be like, we are back on the Aurora in August and not remotely looking forward to it and are  now in the process of cancelling our Caribbean Aurora cruise in October the whole embarkation process was a farce and seeing all the empty seating areas in the check in area only rubbed salt in.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

and seeing all the empty seating areas in the check in area only rubbed salt in.

That's part of the punishment of arriving early and to make sure you don't do it again - although of course, not doing it again includes avoiding P&O and flying somewhere instead...

• Like 3

I think that there are a number of issues going on at the moment with P&O arrival times.

Arrival times have been allowed to become a "free for all" due to P&O's inability to enforce their own rules (nothing new there as that has been the situation for years, both onboard the ships and shore side).

The problem with the number of passengers was known about five or more years ago. I was talking with one of the senior baggage handlers and he was saying then that the terminals were not capable of dealing with that number of passengers.

When Iona came on line Covid restrictions were in place both in the terminal and onboard with reduced capacity. It was only when Covid restrictions were lifted and capacity returned to being at full level that the problems became significant.

I also would make a guess that what is happening at the moment is a transition and, hopefully, something more organised will arrive - eventually (although that may IT getting involved - enough said!).

With the current system there is a basic flaw, and that is that no consideration is made for passengers arriving late. If you arrive early you are sent to the "naughty queue" but if you arrive late then you go straight through which could mean that those who arrive at the correct time are delayed.

In theory, and I doubt that it would happen in practice, you could have a situation where 3,000 passengers arrive at 15:30 and that would be within the current arrangements!

• Like 1

A few years ago on our way down to Southampton we stopped at Chieveley services

for a break as we were a bit early anyway .On exiting the services back on the motorway 

I glanced in the rear view mirror and could see a cloud of dust and little traffic behind me .

There had been a nasty accident and our ship never sailed until very late evening due to 

P&O coaches that were stuck in this and no doubt many cars(Would they wait for them ?)

There is part reason why some get into port early .

From that day onwards we stay overnight in hotels , takes that worry away for us .

As others have said people turning up at lets say 11.30 am knowing full well that their 

time is 14.20 and then kicking off when turned away .

If we were coming down on the day we would adapt by pulling into at least 3 fast food outlets we have to pass from Redbridge roundabout ,they have parking ,toilets etc .

I suppose coming by train Southampton rail will have nearby loos or cafe's as well .

Now coming back to todays boarding rules .Should that Motorway accident happen again.

Would they not be twiddling their thumbs whilst nearby rail/car passengers are sat in cafes 

could be boarded ,before the late rush when the Motorway delayed traffic arrives .

There seems to be no plan B  apart from Queue outside in the heat, cold or rain .

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

for a break as we were a bit early anyway .On exiting the services back on the motorway 

I glanced in the rear view mirror and could see a cloud of dust and little traffic behind me .

There had been a nasty accident and our ship never sailed until very late evening due to 

P&O coaches that were stuck in this and no doubt many cars(Would they wait for them ?)

From that day onwards we stay overnight in hotels , takes that worry away for us .

As others have said people turning up at lets say 11.30 am knowing full well that their 

If we were coming down on the day we would adapt by pulling into at least 3 fast food outlets we have to pass from Redbridge roundabout ,they have parking ,toilets etc .

I suppose coming by train Southampton rail will have nearby loos or cafe's as well .

Now coming back to todays boarding rules .Should that Motorway accident happen again.

Would they not be twiddling their thumbs whilst nearby rail/car passengers are sat in cafes 

could be boarded ,before the late rush when the Motorway delayed traffic arrives .

There seems to be no plan B  apart from Queue outside in the heat, cold or rain .

We live an hour, or so from Southampton and are normally early. We pop into a Costa at Chandlers Ford for a coffee and a spell on the free  wifi.  A bit nearer to boarding time, I check the traffic reports and select one of several routes into Southampton. If still early, Mayflower Park ( if open ).

Edited by zap99
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yes, fair point. I was possibly checking more than usual because of the publicity. 

We too have a plan in place as I don't want to risk getting stuck in traffic and being late, but it seems it doesn't work for many... 

I think there is still a hope for some in the queue that they might get on a bit early which I understand, but it's no good complaining if you were aware and haven't followed the rules. 

Andy 

We considered your plan of parking and then walking to the nearest bar/cafe, but that seemed to be a bit further than the Novotel, did not look at all appealing and was declared to be over a mile from Mayflower by Bing, which would take me 25 mins or more one way nowadays, so a round trip and the shortest possible drink stop would take too long unless we arrived we ll over an hour early.  I do like the idea of taking a taxi to somewhere which was mentioned earlier as a suggestion by staff after they had arrived very early - I would still want to be able to walk back though as would not want to rely on a taxi turning up to take us back.  The Novotel may well have a bar, but was still about a mile if that calculation was correct.

Perhaps other terminals are nearer.  Must admit getting the car parked and being a short walk away sounded the best idea of all.

Edited by tring

Talking of Mayflower Terminal,

Anyone know of a decent(ish) pub/bar within say 20 minutes of the terminal?

i've had a look on google maps, and like Tring haven't found anything that appears to tickle our fancy in the event that we get sent to the naughty queue in September.

Six of us travelling together, so might not be so easy to grab a large cab there and back.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Talking of Mayflower Terminal,

Anyone know of a decent(ish) pub/bar within say 20 minutes of the terminal?

i've had a look on google maps, and like Tring haven't found anything that appears to tickle our fancy in the event that we get sent to the naughty queue in September.

Six of us travelling together, so might not be so easy to grab a large cab there and back.

The Dancing Man  http://dancingmanbrewery.co.uk/     is your best bet, although this is nearest to Ocean Terminal not Mayflower which is some distance away. However Uber Taxis are rife in Southampton and are very reasonable and easy to book using the app. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

There are lots of bars near Ocean Terminal within walking distance

Yes, for us suitably able. 

We will head to Oxford Street, which is just across the green from Ocean terminal and has a great choice of pubs and restaurants to choose from. 

Ocean Village is fairly close too. 

Mayflower is a bit isolated unfortunately. 

Andy 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, kalos said:

Our taxi driver told us on June2nd because of traffic congestion at certain times the taxis who supply the hotels have agreed on a £10 fixed taxi fee which is good because if you are stuck in traffic you know what your taxi fare will be.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3