Is Isafjordur ALWAYS CANCELLED????

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

according to a friend on PRIMA today: Isaf' was dropped and they turned Akureyri into an overnight. Reason given was pier work not done.

Boo, not aimed at you for giving the information, but at NCL for doing this.

Is there any information when the pier work might be done? Are they working on it at present?

I called NCL a little while ago, and asked about Isafjordur. Here is the gist of the conversation, unfortunately probably not worth much.

I explained to the representative that none of the May or June cruises had allowed passengers off there, and was there a possibility we could explore the port in August. She said she could not help as she only had the itinerary. I asked if there was anyone who could give me that information. After a small hold, she came back and said she was going to transfer me to excursions. They would know.

After about a 10 minute hold, I spoke to an excursion representative. Her answer was that they were selling excursions. I said but no one was allowed to off in May or June, did they sell excursions to them. After another brief hold, she said she did not know, only that they were selling excursions starting July 4th and none in June.

I at first thought maybe they will start in July, as none are being sold for the rest of June. And then I realized it might be too late for any more June excursions to be sold. And she could not or would not answer about did they sell excursions in May or earlier in June. I have no doubt that NCL would have no problem selling in advance and taking money for excursions in a port that is not happening. So For the time I spent on the phone, I unfortunately did not really learn anything.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:21 PM, ontheweb said:

We actually have been to Iceland, at least Reykjavik by land.

We have what I hope will be a very interesting private excursion booked in Isjadorfur. Really hoping we make it for that.

This will be our first cruise to Iceland. Is it best to do the shops excursions or can we walk through the cities by ourselves? Are the excursions in the ports safe? Thank you for any info you can give us.

On our roll call it was mentioned that this port is behind in dredging but Prima would start making the port as of June 25.  No idea if this will hold true but this is what she was told.  

10 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

This will be our first cruise to Iceland. Is it best to do the shops excursions or can we walk through the cities by ourselves? Are the excursions in the ports safe? Thank you for any info you can give us.

The cruise line excursions are way, way overpriced compared to what you can find in private excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skatie said:

On our roll call it was mentioned that this port is behind in dredging but Prima would start making the port as of June 25.  No idea if this will hold true but this is what she was told.  

I truly hope this is true. We will find out soon. ✌

As I wrote in a previous post, they are selling excursions for there as of the July 4th port call.

12 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

Iceland is safe, tourism is their top industry.  Use TripAdvisor to find the most recommended agencies, but there are very few bad ones.  Don't expect to get off the ship and find tours available, the ships use all the options in most of the ports other than Reykjavik, so book well in advance

To my question above, some ports are in very small villages.  There will not be extra tours just sitting around waiting for visitors.  If you do not want to do a ship excursion, or just walk around the village, you will need to pre-book something.  TripAdvisor is a good choice.  Avoid Viator, etc, that are just middlemen.  Book directly with the local company. If you have a hard time contacting them, use Facebook, which seems to get more traction for business in Iceland than email.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:08 PM, Capt_BJ said:

according to a friend on PRIMA today: Isaf' was dropped and they turned Akureyri into an overnight. Reason given was pier work not done.

Overnights can be fine. Depending on what direction you do the Prima cruise, Reykjavik is an overnight when sailing from London (Southampton).

We have had an overnight in St. Petersburg. That was fine. We have had an overnight for Edinburg (the port was actually Rosyth) and did not have to worry about getting back in time after the Scottish Military Tattoo.

But really, has anyone ever wished for an overnight in Akureyri? 😒

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Overnights can be fine. Depending on what direction you do the Prima cruise, Reykjavik is an overnight when sailing from London (Southampton).

We have had an overnight in St. Petersburg. That was fine. We have had an overnight for Edinburg (the port was actually Rosyth) and did not have to worry about getting back in time after the Scottish Military Tattoo.

Years ago I spent a  few days in Akureyri. One day in mid June I wondered  if there might be a public bus to the “end” of Iceland to view the Midnight Sun at midnight. Turned out there was! About 10 others were onboard and we went to Trollaskagi, watched the sun go down and come right back up, got back in the bus, stopped for coffee/cake on the way back. Got to bed about 3am. Still remember it decades later. great night!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes! I just spent three nights (two days) in Akureyri, and we didn’t have time to do everything I would have wanted.

We did a day trip to Ásbyrgi, stopping at Goðafoss on the way, and Dettifoss and Hverir on the way back. We would have liked to stop at Hljóðaklettar as well, but we didn’t have time. There’s also the Mývatn Nature Baths and geothermal area and Krafts crater, which we’ve visited on another trip.

I would have also liked to make a stop in Húsavík to go whale watching and visit the Eurovision exhibit.

Closer to Akureyri, the Forest Lagoon and Beer Spa were on our short list for bathing, along with the municipal pool. Was a shame our pilot friend missed the small-but enjoyable aviation museum. And if we throw in another half day, it’s a great area for horse riding.

The downside is that you really need a rental car to get around, but a 2WD is pretty sufficient and the town has tons of free parking.

• Like 1

I also have a port stop here, and concerned that HAL will add another night in Akureyri without offering any extra tour options. They have already cancelled our stop in Invergordon, and added another night in South queensferry without any other tour options. I love Akureyri, but would love to hit the ground running with the other thousands seeking the same options.

I agree with "needing a car here to get around". There are lots of tour companies, but they fill fast.

2 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

I also have a port stop here, and concerned that HAL will add another night in Akureyri without offering any extra tour options. They have already cancelled our stop in Invergordon, and added another night in South queensferry without any other tour options. I love Akureyri, but would love to hit the ground running with the other thousands seeking the same options.

I agree with "needing a car here to get around". There are lots of tour companies, but they fill fast.

And I would imagine that there are not enough cars there to rent when a ship carrying over 3000 passengers all of a sudden has an extra day there and no one has anything booked for that day.

Exactly

I don't understand the added overnighter in South Queensferry, they offered two excursions, mostly bus rides around the country. A free shuttle bus running back and forth into downtown Edinburgh would have been acceptable. Very poor planning on HAL part. (planned 2nights in Reykjavik, now 2 nights in South Queensferry, and the potential for 2nights in Akureyri) I wonder if it has anything to do with  not enough excursion providers or providers pulling out last minute?? Oh well...  will go with the flow...literally..

I really don't mean this badly, but this is why I always recommend Iceland be done as a land trip.  For those that might be researching cruises for later and find this thread, there is so much to see and do, and it is so easy to drive yourself around in the summer, that being isolated to cruise ports only who have limited excursions, is really not seeing the country well at all.

Or, there are lots of land based tours if you don't want to self drive.

For those that are cruising, I hope you find something to do.  I'd be super frustrated to miss the port as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ljandgb said:

I always recommend Iceland be done as a land trip.

I agree, we had a wonderful time there, and often spoke of renting an airbnb next time vs the hotel. Land based tours are great, but a car rental gives you so much freedom.

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

hmmmmmm

today's port activity suggests the pier extension is being used ....

image.png.ee594cbf5b8419d401f23df262810207.png

but tendering happening as well cuz two biguns in ...

image.thumb.png.ee62b9bffcc4e93134c1ca9b9b01168e.png

That is interesting, thank you.

We stopped in Isafjordur on June 11th on the Sky Princess. Beautiful port where we tendered to shore. Did the Dynjandi Waterfall and Wild West Fjords Tour through Artic Shorex. We enjoyed our tour but did have a new guide that was very quiet. They said it was their first cruise ship excursion of the year. Hills around where we tendered actually reminded me a lot of the Na Pali Coast of Kauai but with snow on top.  IMG_0317.thumb.jpeg.b340391ab029bd6fe0bdfda378b38571.jpegIMG_0401.thumb.jpeg.79b8920daca430fd8465d138fcf7f179.jpeg

• Like 2

Just boarded the Prima and the port has been cancelled again 😢  Ongoing pier maintenance is the reason given. We’re now staying in Akureyri until 4 am the next morning so no time to do anything more there. 

3 hours ago, DMP609 said:

Just boarded the Prima and the port has been cancelled again 😢  Ongoing pier maintenance is the reason given. We’re now staying in Akureyri until 4 am the next morning so no time to do anything more there. 

Jease. that is disappointing to hear. We have a stop there in mid july on the Star. Its a shame they just dont dock somewhere else in iceland.   

What is your itinerary? 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 12:59 PM, Capt_BJ said:

hmmmmmm

today's port activity suggests the pier extension is being used ....

image.png.ee594cbf5b8419d401f23df262810207.png

but tendering happening as well cuz two biguns in ...

image.thumb.png.ee62b9bffcc4e93134c1ca9b9b01168e.png

The ship that docked was HAL Zuiderdam! Much lighter at 82.3k gt than NCL Prima at 143.5k gt, and also narrower by 30ft.

Zuiderdam, upon leaving the port, had to reverse up past the town before it can turn around to leave the fjord forward.