Passport card ok?

In 2012 my husband had to be airlifted from Labadee to the DR for medical reasons and they checked his passport before they even put him in the helicopter and then again when they landed at the hospital.   I just renewed by passport and I am in the 70's but I hope to travel internationally as long as I am able.  I figured the passport book only cost you $13.00 a year.  So when you renew your passport, put $1.00 in a bank for you to renew your passport in 10 years.

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not after 2025 there won’t be, via federal mandate 

Do I have to get a REAL ID?

No. REAL ID is optional for Pennsylvania residents. You will be able to get either a REAL ID driver’s license/identification card, or a standard driver’s license or identification card.

If you do not get a REAL ID, you must have an alternate form of federally-acceptable identification (valid passport, military ID, etc.) to board domestic commercial flights and enter certain federal facilities after May 7, 2025.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

image.png.d005f68651125ca3dc59340f4119ec59.png

12 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Where did you go?  Depending on the actual travel there may not be any choice but to have a passport book.  For Americans, the discussion of cost and whether a passport book is necessary for cruising has to contextualized between closed-loop cruises and pretty much everything else.

Not sure why it matters.  When I was a teen, went to Europe, next international trip was to Mexico (flying).  My point was people say "it's good for 10 years" and "you never know when you might need it" as reasons to get them.  If you only travel internationally once in the 10 years, then it's still over $100 for a single use.  And if you don't get opportunities (or the money) to travel internationally, have one sit in a drawer does no good.  

As far as passport vs Real ID, the Real ID at least is card size and easy to carry in a wallet/purse, and can function as a DL.  A passport book just doesn't fit anywhere quite right and you'd still need to carry a DL (assuming you drive).  

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

There is an option to opt out in at least NJ and PA.

I think NJ license holders have until mid. 2025.

Edited.  Saw your later post.  Same thing with the passports does apply for NJ.

Edited by jean87510

On 12/18/2023 at 5:36 PM, Valen9 said:

I also decided not to go thru all the hassles of getting a RealID driver's license in my state, since I already has a passport card.  I keep my passport card with me at all times and pack my passport only for cruises or international travel.

I'd also be concerned about cruising the Caribbean without a passport book.  You are gambling; if you ever needed it you'd already be in a pickle.  If I needed to save $130, I'd look at other ways to save.

Agreed. Cannot understand logic of not getting a passport for a cruise.  People will spend more then that in a port stop or a spa treatment.  My husband and I like convenient quick ways to travel so we have TSA precheck and passports.  We are scheduled for Global entry appointments next week the day our MSC cruise leaves out of Miami at the Miami cruise terminal.  (He needs for international travel for work.  I need for the hatred of lines).  I'll gladly give up a meal in Chops or a balancing massage to have convenience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Thank you, very similar requirements in Texas. Actually I’m sure it’s the same requirements just about anywhere.

The excuse that it’s so much more difficult to get than a standard drivers license is just ridiculous.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s probably less of a hassle to get a drivers license in Texas vs. New Jersey. At one point we had folks offering to sit in line overnight for $ to save spots.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s probably less of a hassle to get a drivers license in Texas vs. New Jersey. At one point we had folks offering to sit in line overnight for $ to save spots.

Yeah, very few places in TX where you can just line up. Most places require an appointment; however it’s not unheard of to wait 3 months or more for an appointment. 

45 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yeah, very few places in TX where you can just line up. Most places require an appointment; however it’s not unheard of to wait 3 months or more for an appointment. 

Same here, but it’s not unheard of to still wait hours when you have an appointment, as you move from chair to chair.

On 12/18/2023 at 1:46 PM, mjkacmom said:

You need a lot more that that for real ID in NJ, plus it can take a while to snag an appointment. I’m planning on using my passport card instead of spending hours at the dmv.

I use my Global Entry card at airports for TSA.  Never an issue.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I doubt it.    It took me cumulatively 12 hours at the DMV to change from maiden to married name.   I was 10 months married and 8 months pregnant.  Only the thought of them insisting on my maiden name on daughter's birth certificate motivated me to go to DMV.   You show up and you get your number.   I had to do three visits before it got done because the first two I couldn't wait any longer and had to leave.  For the third I planned on just sitting there all day if necessary.  The third time, when my number was about 10 people away, I look up and see a sign that says, "Cash Only, No Change."   I'd planned on using a card.  So, in a panic I run out to my car to find any ATM.   I'm driving around looking for an ATM and I get pulled over.   I told the cop why I was driving funny and he just let me go.    Even he understood the misery of DMV.   

• Like 1

LOL  In Arkansas, it's so rural you may be directed anywhere to get your Global Entry.  We ended up going to an Office Depot in Springfield MO to get ours done!  The government is SOOOOOOOO efficient!  It was actually pretty painless, we shopped around for an hour or so and done.  We have the cards to save a few bucks but in 2027 we'll go full book next time.  We plan on doing London for a land tour then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I doubt it.    It took me cumulatively 12 hours at the DMV to change from maiden to married name.   I

But that was for something other than the usual. When I moved to Texas my appointment to get a Texas license was scheduled 3 months after I made it online but once I got to the DMV it was 15 minutes to see the clerk, 15 minutes to exchange my old license, pass on contributing to a bunch of optional funds, 🙃 , show documents and. Eye test and out. 

Odd to me that four or five 20 year olds drove to the DMV without their glasses. They let them drive home to get their glasses  🙄 and bring back to finish so I assume they would have done the same if I was missing a document.  Hard to miss a document though as they have a checklist on their website that you can run through like a test which is pretty thorough. They should have had bring glasses on the checklist I guess.😛

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

As far as passport vs Real ID, the Real ID at least is card size and easy to carry in a wallet/purse, and can function as a DL.  A passport book just doesn't fit anywhere quite right and you'd still need to carry a DL (assuming you drive).  

And that is why I got my REAL ID DL.  I also have a Global Entry card (that is valid REAL ID) that fits in a wallet, but I carry that with my passport.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

LOL  In Arkansas, it's so rural you may be directed anywhere to get your Global Entry.  We ended up going to an Office Depot in Springfield MO to get ours done!  The government is SOOOOOOOO efficient!  It was actually pretty painless, we shopped around for an hour or so and done.  We have the cards to save a few bucks but in 2027 we'll go full book next time.  We plan on doing London for a land tour then.

You went through the hassle to get Global Entry but don’t have a passport? Guess I don’t see the point since you have to have a passport to fly internationally. I haven’t seen a global entry kiosk at a cruise terminal. Guess it’s really not needed with all the upgrades since you even have to stop and talk with anyone. 

We have passports and use global entry with Clear. Helps a lot at the airports 

11 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

You went through the hassle to get Global Entry but don’t have a passport? Guess I don’t see the point since you have to have a passport to fly internationally. I haven’t seen a global entry kiosk at a cruise terminal. Guess it’s really not needed with all the upgrades since you even have to stop and talk with anyone. 

We have passports and use global entry with Clear. Helps a lot at the airports 

You have to have a passport for Global Entry. I think the poster is confused. You can't get Global Entry at Office Depot. The first time you get it requires and interview with a CBP agent. They scan your fingerprints. The cards are mailed if you are apporved. A renewal might require an interview. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

You have to have a passport for Global Entry. I think the poster is confused. You can't get Global Entry at Office Depot. The first time you get it requires and interview with a CBP agent. They scan your fingerprints. The cards are mailed if you are apporved. A renewal might require an interview. 

They are probably confusing Global Entry with TSA pre-check (which you can get at Office Depot).

I did my GE "interview" on arrival (from LHR) at PHL.  No appointment necessary.  🙂

Edited by Another_Critic

I assure you we did.  There was an agent there, we waited in line with several other couples.  That was the nearest location we could get it.  We live on the Arkansas/MO border and it was closer than Little Rock.  We got the paper work then and the cards were mailed later.  We had to use the papers/receipt for our Alaska flights as we entered Canada.

Edited by BecciBoo

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I assure you we did.  There was an agent there, we waited in line with several other couples.  That was the nearest location we could get it.  We live on the Arkansas/MO border and it was closer than Little Rock.  We got the paper work then and the cards were mailed later.  We had to use the papers/receipt for our Alaska flights as we entered Canada.

If you are a US citizen you have to have a valid Passport Book for Global Entry. You have to take the book to the interview. You may be confusing Global Entry with TSA PreCheck. 

29 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

They are probably confusing Global Entry with TSA pre-check (which you can get at Office Depot).

I did my GE "interview" on arrival (from LHR) at PHL.  No appointment necessary.  🙂

I did mine in downtown DC at their office as at the time I lived in suburban Maryland. Very convenient. Took the Metro. 

If you are a US citizen you have to have a valid Passport Book for Global Entry. You have to take the book to the interview. You may be confusing Global Entry with TSA PreCheck. 

I was thinking you had to have a passport but didn’t look it up. We did our global entry when we flew back into Miami right after things opened back up from Covid. There was a year plus wait at most of the major airports at that time. 

I also just renewed my passport and had the new one within 3 weeks with standard processing. global entry for our 13 year took about a month after completing the interview for her to get the card this summer. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe, that was 3 yrs ago

Edited by BecciBoo