Passport card ok?

I also decided not to go thru all the hassles of getting a RealID driver's license in my state, since I already has a passport card.  I keep my passport card with me at all times and pack my passport only for cruises or international travel.

I'd also be concerned about cruising the Caribbean without a passport book.  You are gambling; if you ever needed it you'd already be in a pickle.  If I needed to save $130, I'd look at other ways to save.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:48 AM, Longhorn Cruiser said:

Passport card is really only useful at land crossings.

The main reason you take a passport instead of birth certificate on a cruise is in case something happens and you need to fly home.   You will need an actual passport for this.

If nothing happens then a birth certificate is fine.

No reason to take a passport card on a cruise.

Agree. Shoot used my Enhanced Drivers Licence for Decade plus on Border Crossing, Closed and Open Loop Cruises. Have a Passport and Card now getting them early 2020 when had both Trans Atlantic and Trans Pacific Booked, CV canceled them and no plans to go now $$$$

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

But when it is time to renew your DL, you won’t have a choice. 

Post 9/11, Real ID, my Enhanced Driver's Licence. Guess Security wise none of it really matters. In AZ and my Licence is Real ID(Star) MI EDL, was able renew it online MI Website and they mailed it to address I provided them here in Az. They just used my old Photo from 2017 Licence, good thing I really dont age

Edited by ONECRUISER

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

But when it is time to renew your DL, you won’t have a choice. 

Some states like NJ allow a choice. Pretty shortsighted for people to renew their license and not get a Real ID license but some states have Real ID as optional. 

On 6/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, rmzlvacationers said:

Taking my parents (in their 70's) on a cruise.  They want to save money and only get the passport card not book.  We are going on Anthem 7 day out of Cape Liberty to Orlando, CocoCay, and Nassau. I have researched and found that it seems to be okay, just means they could not fly back should they encounter some emergency. Any other reasons I should be aware of to justify the added expense or should I let them get the card?

At their age I would just get them passports and buy good travel insurance

37 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Wow, didn’t realize some places gave you a choice. I agree, dumb not to get it

I’ll get it when my license expires, but nobody in NJ wants to go to the NJ MVC unless they have no choice. Waits were 4+ hours before Covid, 12+ hours during Covid, and I waited 3 hours in 2021 with an appointment.

I just don’t understand how people and spend thousands of dollars on a trip but won’t protect themselves for a couple hundred dollars. I didn’t even give my parents or adult child an option of not getting a passport when they decided to go on their first cruise with us.

BTW, if you purchased insurance and don’t have a passport they aren’t going to try to get you home in case of an emergency…

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Some states like NJ allow a choice. Pretty shortsighted for people to renew their license and not get a Real ID license but some states have Real ID as optional. 

My state also gives a choice ... basic driver's license or Real ID.  No enhanced licenses for us.  Basic or Real licenses cost the same /last the same number of years.  For now.  

I agree that it's shortsighted NOT to go ahead and get the Real ID, but the lady who processed my license renewal said "no one" comes in with all the right materials.  She says a lot of people come in saying, "I want to get the Real ID," but they haven't brought the right paperwork, so they get a plain license.  Makes no sense to me:  the list of acceptable documents is easily found on the internet.  Yes, digging up the appropriate items is a pain, but it'll never be convenient.  Just go ahead and do it.  

21 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

BTW, if you purchased insurance and don’t have a passport they aren’t going to try to get you home in case of an emergency…

Who's this "they" who's going to get you home?  If you leave a cruise early, it'll be through your own efforts.  Insurance will reimburse your costs later.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I just don’t understand how people and spend thousands of dollars on a trip but won’t protect themselves for a couple hundred dollars. I didn’t even give my parents or adult child an option of not getting a passport when they decided to go on their first cruise with us.

I can, as a parent of 5, it’s not cheap. We got them for our first cruise, 3 day out of port Canaveral, we would’ve been fine with our birth certificates and saved money (we did have insurance). Private island and Nassau. Kids needed new ones before they used them again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I can, as a parent of 5, it’s not cheap. We got them for our first cruise, 3 day out of port Canaveral, we would’ve been fine with our birth certificates and saved money (we did have insurance). Private island and Nassau. Kids needed new ones before they used them again.

Exactly!  When you're buying for multiple people, it's not "only $100+".  And, yes, while its good for 5/10 years, they could still be "single use".  I got a passport at 17(?) for an international school trip.  That was the only time I needed one unil I was 42.  I NEVER had to turn down a trip because I didn't have a passport for the 15 years mine was expired.

Do I think they're a good idea to have?  Yes, and we bring ours every cruise.  But I'll never criticize anyone for choosing to sail with BC & DL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I got a passport at 17(?) for an international school trip.  That was the only time I needed one unil I was 42.

Where did you go?  Depending on the actual travel there may not be any choice but to have a passport book.  For Americans, the discussion of cost and whether a passport book is necessary for cruising has to contextualized between closed-loop cruises and pretty much everything else.

21 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You need a lot more that that for real ID in NJ, plus it can take a while to snag an appointment. I’m planning on using my passport card instead of spending hours at the dmv.

in NJ you can show your drivers license or passport, a utility or credit card bill, your birth certificate and your social security card and your good to go. REAL ID NJ is Coming May 7, 2025 | NJMVC REAL ID

Doesn't seem that hard to come up with those documents. 😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

in NJ you can show your drivers license or passport, a utility or credit card bill, your birth certificate and your social security card and your good to go. REAL ID NJ is Coming May 7, 2025 | NJMVC REAL ID

In PA, I showed passport (for citizenship), SS card (for SSN), DL and vehicle registration (proof of address) and paid $30.  Jan 30, 2020, no appointment, OTD with my REAL ID in 45 minutes.  🙂

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Fact Sheets/FS-RIDC.pdf

On 6/13/2023 at 10:18 AM, mjkacmom said:

Why bother? The card works the same as a license and birth certificate. Folks bring passports in case of an emergency to be able to fly without a hassle.

I know on our recent cruises out of Port Everglades and Port Canaveral, having the passport allows you to use the facial recognition to get thru Customs/Immigration.  Talk about zooming off the ship.

Yes, the value of getting back home in an emergency is important.  As someone who's been to the ER in foreign countries, I find this to be of particular value.  I/we didn't need it, but now knowing I have the document to ensure I don't have to worry about it makes me a bit happier to know if it had gotten worse, we were taken care of.

That long-winded reply aside.;.. I wouldn't get the card for cruising.  Get the book.  If you are getting a passport.  If not, go with the proper birth certificate and state issued ID.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Lol I can definitely come up with enough documentation, even the regular one requires a lot (thank goodness I had my health insurance card on me the last time since they couldn’t accept my birth certificate without a bridging document), but I’m not planning on going back until my license expires, and if they allow me to renew it online even better. I’ll just fly with my passport card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

In PA, I showed passport (for citizenship), SS card (for SSN), DL and vehicle registration (proof of address) and paid $30.  Jan 30, 2020, no appointment, OTD with my REAL ID in 45 minutes.  🙂

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Fact Sheets/FS-RIDC.pdf

Since we already have passports I don't think I'll even bother getting the REAL id.

16 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Since we already have passports I don't think I'll even bother getting the REAL id.

I had to go to the DMV to get my photo taken, so it was no big deal to get REAL id at the same time.  I like the idea that I always have an approved ID for domestic travel, federal buildings, etc.  I also have a passport book and Global Entry card, but I don't carry them unless I'm going out of the USA (or applying for REAL id 😄 )

P.S.  My DL was also extended 4 years; it now expires the same time as my Global Entry and the same year as my passport.

Edited by Another_Critic

3 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Thank you, very similar requirements in Texas. Actually I’m sure it’s the same requirements just about anywhere.

The excuse that it’s so much more difficult to get than a standard drivers license is just ridiculous.

6 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I just looked through my annual travel insurance policy, there is not a single mention of the word passport in  the entire policy, with the exception of one clause about emergency passport replacement in the case my passport is lost or stolen.

having a passport versus traveling with a passport card, or even a birth certificate and drivers license; has absolutely zero affect on travel insurance benefits

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I just looked through my annual travel insurance policy, there is not a single mention of the word passport in  the entire policy, with the exception of one clause about emergency passport replacement in the case my passport is lost or stolen.

having a passport versus traveling with a passport card, or even a birth certificate and drivers license; has absolutely zero affect on travel insurance benefits

I know what I’ve personally experienced and also know what my polices will provide so I’m not here to argue.

All I have to say is good luck if anyone that has issues and needs to fly home without a passport. 

• Like 2