How smooth is the Millennium? (Cabin location)

zitsky

We had a great experience on the Beyond in a forward cabin.  Even though partner is a little sensitive.

Considering sailing in Millennium in Aqua or Sky Suite.  Wondering how smooth the ship is compared to newer ships.  Thinking both of forward or aft cabins.

5 minutes ago, BSinPNS said:

YOu may want to avoid the AQ1 cabins on deck 11 as they are as far aft and as high as you can get.  We love 1140, but it does move a bit in rough seas.  

Whoops!  Ok well I have found some AQ on deck 6 midship as well as some Sky Suites.

Cruise is Bali to Singapore.   Christmas 2024.  At this time I have NO idea what weather to expect.  Calm?  Storms?  I don’t know.

Edited by zitsky

33 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We had a great experience on the Beyond in a forward cabin.  Even though partner is a little sensitive.

Considering sailing in Millennium in Aqua or Sky Suite.  Wondering how smooth the ship is compared to newer ships.  Thinking both of forward or aft cabins.

We've only sailed on Millennium once and that was the only M-class we've sailed.  We did not have any problems with movement but we had very nice weather and calm seas for almost all of our cruise.  

If you are looking for the smoothest sailing cabins on that ship the I would recommend deck six over deck 9 for Sky Suites.  The lower on the ship and the more central you are generally results in the less movement. 

Youi do need to keep in mind that the M-class of ships are the smallest, aside from the ones used for Galapagos  Expeditions, in the Celebrity fleet.  The larger the ship the less affected they are by the  sea state.  

29 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We've only sailed on Millennium once and that was the only M-class we've sailed.  We did not have any problems with movement but we had very nice weather and calm seas for almost all of our cruise.  

If you are looking for the smoothest sailing cabins on that ship the I would recommend deck six over deck 9 for Sky Suites.  The lower on the ship and the more central you are generally results in the less movement. 

Youi do need to keep in mind that the M-class of ships are the smallest, aside from the ones used for Galapagos  Expeditions, in the Celebrity fleet.  The larger the ship the less affected they are by the  sea state.  

Ok thanks for that.  Yes I’ve been looking at lower deck for both Aqua and Sky Suite.

56 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

90,000 Tons and stabilizers.  It is 3 times bigger than  any Azamara's ship that had my wife a little green from so much motion.  We have done that same Itinerary on Milli. and 8 other Milli. cruises and it's large enough to ride pretty smooth. 

That said I'm not a good one to judge how much it takes to cause distress as I have never suffered any motion caused queasiness onboard any type of  moving conveyance.

Another unusual feature of the M class ships is that they have smooth Gas Turbine engines (Think airplane Jet engines) that turn the generators along with a single Diesel engine so there is far less vibration than a ship with Large diesels.

33 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What a silly question 🤣

if the seas are calm than it a smooth ride 

no matter which class of ship 😁

Been on a S class with 15m swells, I thought it was fine other passengers got off in Barcelona never to return 

So you don’t see any problem booking a 3 hour tour on the Celebrity Minnow?  No problems expected?  The Skipper will keep us safe?  🙂

• Haha 1

We sailed her in Alaska last year, aft cabin.  Only felt motion once, otherwise smooth sailing in some not-always-smooth seas.  I think amidships on 6 you can't go wrong either way.  And from your other post i know you (not so) secretly are leaning towards the SS.  Good luck!

12 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

We sailed her in Alaska last year, aft cabin.  Only felt motion once, otherwise smooth sailing in some not-always-smooth seas.  I think amidships on 6 you can't go wrong either way.  And from your other post i know you (not so) secretly are leaning towards the SS.  Good luck!

Yea.  Those meddling kids at Celebrity HQ accepted my Move up bid on the Beyond.  So now I have to do it again!  No one told me it would be an addiction.

I know the Retreat on M class is not perfect but it’s still nice.  I am still debating about Aqua class though.  The trick is finding a nice quiet cabin.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What a silly question 🤣

if the seas are calm than it a smooth ride 

no matter which class of ship 😁

Been on a S class with 15m swells, I thought it was fine other passengers got off in Barcelona never to return 

That's pretty rude. It's not a silly question.  I've sailed extensively on Celebrity on all ships but one and am subject to motion sickness.  M class does not handle rough seas as well as S or E.  Still a big ship and generally smooth sailing but M class is definitely different. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So you don’t see any problem booking a 3 hour tour on the Celebrity Minnow?  No problems expected?  The Skipper will keep us safe?  🙂

we don’t book short tours 🤣

I would book a Mclass before booking an E class ship 

The Skipper on Celebrity Reflection keep us safe on the Spring TA

The Virgin ship was rock and rolling,  furniture throw around ,

Our captain change course and we a pretty smooth ride , and we were both heading to the EU, they were 1/2 day in front of us 

As you know the sailing will be affected by both winds and wave height.   Regardless of location in high seas or winds you may be affected regardless of location or size of the ship.

As a general rule the smoothest are on a ship is the exact center of the ship both forward to aft as well as height.   Generally cabins Far Forward or Aft will fell more movement.

There are 6 type of movement on a ship and the combination will affect your comfort.

1. Pitch describes the up and down motion of a vessel. This is characterized by the rising and falling of the bow and stern in much the same way as a teeter-totter moves up and down.  
  2. Roll is how we describe the tilting motion of the ship from side to side. Wind and waves push against the ship and cause it to rock back and forth.
  3. Yaw spins the ship on an invisible middle line similar to swiveling on a chair. This can be caused by waves moving in perpendicular to the motion of the ship and can change its heading, or direction.
  4. Heave defines the up and down motion of a ship as large swells heave Nautilus vertically on the crests and troughs of waves.
  5. Sway this sliding motion occurs when the hull of a ship is pushed by the wind or current.
  6. Surge occurs when Nautilus is being followed by larger swells, which can push the vessel forward and impact the front to back motion of the ship.
  • Thanks 2

We have twelve sailings on M class over the years, in various parts of the world, although not that particular route.  Compared with S class we have not noticed any difference in stability although on both we avoid higher decks.  Husband feels motion more than I do, but he has not had problems on that size ship, even crossing the Tasman sea on Mercury or Vancouver to Tokyo on Millennium.

Personally I dont book cabins or suites that are all the way forward or all the way aft on any cruise ship. We never had any issues with M Class ships with sounds or motion. We have stayed in Aqua cabins 1114 and 9175, sky suites 6120, 6122 and 6132. 9175 is a AquaClass cabin, but it did not have the shower wall.

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling

35 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Personally I dont book cabins or suites that are all the way forward or all the way aft on any cruise ship. We never had any issues with M Class ships with sounds or motion. We have stayed in Aqua cabins 1114 and 9175, sky suites 6120, 6122 and 6132. 9175 is a AquaClass cabin, but it did not have the shower wall.

You’ve stayed in Sky Suites on deck 6, yes?  I understand lifeboats are one deck below.  Did that bother you at all?  Were you happy with the view?  Were the Sky Suites you were in quiet?

Thanks.

Edited by zitsky

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

You’ve stayed in Sky Suites on deck 6, yes?  I understand lifeboats are one deck below.  Did that bother you at all?  Were you happy with the view?  Were the Sky Suites you were in quiet?

Thanks.

I know this was not addressed to me but having sailed in April & May in #6100 on Millennium Ivan report that your view straight down is obstructed by the lifeboats but it was not bothersome when sitting on the balcony watching the world go by.  

Our Sky suite was very quiet.  We occasionally heard footsteps from the room above us but nothing bothersome.  Here are two pictures I included in my review of the view. IMG_0034.jpeg.fb332cd9d728e073306193d8e0978354.jpegIMG_0035.jpeg.cc4e5de9f279ccb923d6ce79eaef83fb.jpeg

31 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I know this was not addressed to me but having sailed in April & May in #6100 on Millennium Ivan report that your view straight down is obstructed by the lifeboats but it was not bothersome when sitting on the balcony watching the world go by.  

Our Sky suite was very quiet.  We occasionally heard footsteps from the room above us but nothing bothersome.  Here are two pictures I included in my review of the view. IMG_0034.jpeg.fb332cd9d728e073306193d8e0978354.jpegIMG_0035.jpeg.cc4e5de9f279ccb923d6ce79eaef83fb.jpeg

Thanks.  That looks like you can’t see anything.

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.

No, we were aft of the life boats. The view was fine. Better view from Aqua deck 11. All 3 sky suites were quite. Here is a video from from sky suite 6122.

Photo from sky suite 6132

1499794599_IMG_20170123_045905811(1).thumb.jpg.088cf1270a4b4b0394206a584ac8d876.jpgPhoto from 6122IMG_20180327_083129679.thumb.jpg.3aabe04c8da511658a6883155edf93b2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I like deck 11,

with a hop skip and a jump you are at the Sunset Bar 😁

I don’t know who you’re talking to, but I haven’t hopped anywhere since I was a kid.