Sydney: Top Ten Highest Cost!??!

From MSN News this morning, they had this headline: 10 Most Expensive Travel Destinations in the World with these highlights for Sydney and why it is so costly:Sydney is a city that combines the laid-back vibe of a beach town with the vivacity of a big city. Located on the eastern coast of Australia, Sydney is an enchanting city that will take your breath away with its spectacular scenery, historical landmarks, and cultural diversity.  The Sydney Opera House is the city's most recognizable landmark, so get ready to be amazed when you arrive. With its unusual sail-like shape, this architectural gem enhances the beauty of Sydney Harbour. The high cost of living in Sydney is reflected in the city's high lodging, food, transportation, and retail prices, among other areas. Luxury accommodations in prime locations and the cost of trying out new gourmet restaurants and activities can put a serious dent in your savings. The high demand for goods and services in Sydney from both locals and tourists drives up the city's cost of living.

Sydney was ranked as the ninth most expensive travel location.  Ahead of it with higher pricing were Monaco, Switzerland, French Riviera, the Maldives, New York City, Los Angeles and Aspen/Colorado.  Bora Bora was ranked tenth.  

Here were their tips to save money in Sydney: "Travelers on a tighter budget can still take advantage of Sydney by staying in budget hotels, eating at inexpensive local restaurants, taking public transit, and keeping an eye out for specials and discounts."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/the-10-most-expensive-travel-destinations-in-the-world/ar-AA1cunOL

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 243,890 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Another tip to saving money in Sydney, for a US perspective. The tip is - don't tip. Don't tip your cab driver, don't tip your tour guide or driver, don't tip the concierge, don't tip the maid, don't tip the waiter. The service is already included in the price.

To stay in Sydney with a view of the harbour is expensive. Stay in the same hotel but no harbour view and the price drops down considerably. Stay a 15 minute train ride away and it is even cheaper, and there are plenty of good local eateries out in the suburbs, where most locals will eat.

Then again, pay the price and have a view like this from your hotel room. Sometimes a discounted price also discounts the experience!

20160531_191855.thumb.jpg.455d2084857efa92bb6c99ef1198c712.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sydney doesn't have to be expensive.  Eat where the locals eat.

Sydney has fantastic walks at the beach and around the harbour - all free. 

Get a day transport ticket and ride the harbour ferries to beaches and the river to Parramatta.  

Agree don't tip as it is included in price.  Everyone receives a regulated minimum wage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Make it even cheaper, divert to Brisbane and get, clean air and sunshine, even in mid winter.😁🤣

Yes the winter weather at GC is glorious at present - cold 9 to 24 sunny today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Make it even cheaper, divert to Brisbane and get, clean air and sunshine, even in mid winter.😁🤣

Clean air? Then what was that brownish murk I saw a few times last year as the sun was getting low late afternoons.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Clean air? Then what was that brownish murk I saw a few times last year as the sun was getting low late afternoons.

It was probably that phenomena that happens when the clouds are really high, and the light is just at the right angle, you get a reflection on the clouds of somewhere far away.... probably Sydney traffic fumes....😂

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

Another tip to saving money in Sydney, for a US perspective. The tip is - don't tip. Don't tip your cab driver, don't tip your tour guide or driver, don't tip the concierge, don't tip the maid, don't tip the waiter. The service is already included in the price.

To stay in Sydney with a view of the harbour is expensive. Stay in the same hotel but no harbour view and the price drops down considerably. Stay a 15 minute train ride away and it is even cheaper, and there are plenty of good local eateries out in the suburbs, where most locals will eat.

Then again, pay the price and have a view like this from your hotel room. Sometimes a discounted price also discounts the experience!

20160531_191855.thumb.jpg.455d2084857efa92bb6c99ef1198c712.jpg

Good advice. One thing you point out that is VERY important in my opinion is to abide by the customs of the country you're in. Sadly, some Americans seem to have a hard time doing this. This mindset is baffling to me. Regarding tipping, I've read a number of posts on different forums, including this one, about tipping where some of my fellow Americans will openly say they will tip as they do here in the US because they feel "it is the right thing to do" even when they KNOW it is not the custom of that country/culture. This blatant arrogance is truly unfortunate. Thanks for your insight, much appreciated.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

Good advice. One thing you point out that is VERY important in my opinion is to abide by the customs of the country you're in. Sadly, some Americans seem to have a hard time doing this. This mindset is baffling to me. Regarding tipping, I've read a number of posts on different forums, including this one, about tipping where some of my fellow Americans will openly say they will tip as they do here in the US because they feel "it is the right thing to do" even when they KNOW it is not the custom of that country/culture. This blatant arrogance is truly unfortunate. Thanks for your insight, much appreciated.

It's OK though. Many Aussies struggle to adjust to the custom of tipping when travelling to the US too. Some will blatantly not tip because they don't agree with a tipping culture, which is equally ignorant.

• Like 2

When I went to Hawaii ( the only part of US I have been to) I researched beforehand and tried to tip when and  how I was expected to - 

Because, regardless of my own views, that is the custom of the place I was in.

Anyone coming to Australia should do likewise and follow the customs of here and not tip. 

Is no different to going to a temple and removing your shoes or covering your shoulders - your views on clothing aren't the point, you respect and follow the custom of place you are in.

• Like 3

Trying to decide on a weeks worth of hotel accommodations near circular quay right now.  It’s pricey but honestly no worse than Fort Lauderdale by the beach and less than Miami.  I think the convenience of being near the harbor where most of things we’re going to do is worth a higher cost.  We’d like to mostly walk or use public transportation.  We’ll skip the harbor view from the room as we’ll be out enough to see it anyway.  The apartment type lodgings look like the best options.  Reviews are really mixed so it’s a gamble.  

I’ve been looking at food and that’s what seems high.  We will be eating light, maybe a visit to a grocery store, likely no more than one big dinner out.  We usually skip breakfast, have a bigger lunch and then light dinner.  We knew Sydney would be expensive but we did pretty good on our airfare so it all evens out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Trying to decide on a weeks worth of hotel accommodations near circular quay right now.  It’s pricey but honestly no worse than Fort Lauderdale by the beach and less than Miami.  I think the convenience of being near the harbor where most of things we’re going to do is worth a higher cost.  We’d like to mostly walk or use public transportation.  We’ll skip the harbor view from the room as we’ll be out enough to see it anyway.  The apartment type lodgings look like the best options.  Reviews are really mixed so it’s a gamble.  

I’ve been looking at food and that’s what seems high.  We will be eating light, maybe a visit to a grocery store, likely no more than one big dinner out.  We usually skip breakfast, have a bigger lunch and then light dinner.  We knew Sydney would be expensive but we did pretty good on our airfare so it all evens out.  

Staying a week, suggest you choose self contained accomodation near George Street on the Light Rail Line,   Get an OPAL Card, so you can just hop on and off.   Paddy's Market has reasonable fresh fruit and vegetables.  Lots of places have special reduced cost meals at lunch time, like Chinatown.  Sydney doesn't have to be expensive.  I always catch the ferry to Watson's Bay, where I have fish and chips and salad on the jetty.  I also get the ferry to Manly, where there are a lot of inexpensive places to enjoy lunch, before you walk along the Esplanade to Shelly Beach.

Sydneyinfo.net.au

Light Rail Line Map

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

It's OK though. Many Aussies struggle to adjust to the custom of tipping when travelling to the US too. Some will blatantly not tip because they don't agree with a tipping culture, which is equally ignorant.

Good post. The difference is the wage structure. Unlike Oz where service people make a good wage, in the US, waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc., are considered "tipped" employees and receive a Federal minimum wage of $2.13 per hour. They rely on their tips to make a decent wage. That is why for a waiter/waitress for example the customary tip for say a meal of $50, would be 20%-30% of the meal price. So, in this case the tip would be $10 - $15 on top of the meal price. Tipping of others such as taxi drivers, porters, etc., is not as consistent. Tips given to these folks for Good Service for example is usually a small amount of a couple of dollars or such. Sadly, in the US tipping has become expected. So, good service is not automatic as too many workers expect a tip of some amount no matter how they perform. Worse yet, porters at the airport for example control where your bags go. If you want to be sure your bags go where you want them to go, a good tip is a bit of an insurance policy. It's really a form of extorsion. But that has what has evolved from the "expected tip" culture. The key point is to "do as they do" in the country you're in. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

Good post. The difference is the wage structure. Unlike Oz where service people make a good wage, in the US, waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc., are considered "tipped" employees and receive a Federal minimum wage of $2.13 per hour. They rely on their tips to make a decent wage. That is why for a waiter/waitress for example the customary tip for say a meal of $50, would be 20%-30% of the meal price. So, in this case the tip would be $10 - $15 on top of the meal price. Tipping of others such as taxi drivers, porters, etc., is not as consistent. Tips given to these folks for Good Service for example is usually a small amount of a couple of dollars or such. Sadly, in the US tipping has become expected. So, good service is not automatic as too many workers expect a tip of some amount no matter how they perform. Worse yet, porters at the airport for example control where your bags go. If you want to be sure your bags go where you want them to go, a good tip is a bit of an insurance policy. It's really a form of extorsion. But that has what has evolved from the "expected tip" culture. The key point is to "do as they do" in the country you're in. 

When I first travelled to the US the tip for a meal was 10%. with alcohol 15%.  Now 20-30% of meal cost seems a lot.  My friends in the South go to cafeterias where there is no tipping.

A small amount is left for person cleaning the table.

• Like 1

There are some reasonably priced hotels along the George Street light rail service, which starts at Circular Quay.  So it is easy to get to CQ, The Rocks, the Opera House and the overseas passenger terminal etc on the light rail (tram).  If you stay somewhere near the Haymarket area, you are close to Paddy's market for food shopping and there are many budget priced places to eat nearby, like Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian etc. I stay at the Great Southern Hotel, which is moderately priced (by expensive Sydney standards). It's an older hotel, but has been well renovated. It has a light rail stop right opposite, and is popular with cruisers.

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

When I first travelled to the US the tip for a meal was 10%. with alcohol 15%.  Now 20-30% of meal cost seems a lot.  My friends in the South go to cafeterias where there is no tipping.

A small amount is left for person cleaning the table.

Sadly, it has gotten so bad that many Restaurants will actually have the "suggested tip" printed at the bottom of the bill. 20% being the minimum, 25% for better service, 30% for excellent. These are of course suggestions and NOT mandatory. But the point is, it has gotten so bad that the expectation is a tip of some amount no matter the quality of the service. This makes no sense to me. I adamantly disagree with this mindset. If the food and service is good, I don't need a reason to tip, the food and service speak for themselves. But I refuse to tip for bad service and bad food. The "obligation" to tip becomes a mindset and ultimately removes the incentive to provide good service/food. Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

JJ - you have illustrated quite well why we in Australia do not want tipping culture to creep in here - hence you will see sticky (similar on TA)  in the Aust/NZ ports of call section about tipping here and the advice of DO NOT TIP

of course when we are in other countries where tipping is the thing, we should abide by that (or do an all inclusive tips included package)

but please please do not bring it here.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Kristelle said:

JJ - you have illustrated quite well why we in Australia do not want tipping culture to creep in here - hence you will see sticky (similar on TA)  in the Aust/NZ ports of call section about tipping here and the advice of DO NOT TIP

of course when we are in other countries where tipping is the thing, we should abide by that (or do an all inclusive tips included package)

but please please do not bring it here.

I just wish everyone would adhere to the "when in Rome, do as the Romans" saying states. Unfortunately, that is not the case. 

• Like 2