MDR on Embarkation Day

JeannyJ

We're headed to Alaska on the Volendam next month (out of Vancouver), and I was wondering if the MDR will be open for lunch on embarkation day. I've read that some of the larger ships sometimes have it open for lunch but I can't find anything about the smaller ships in the fleet. We'll already be going there to check it out and see if we can find where our table is so I thought it might be nice to avoid the Lido crazy until we've been able to eat something and get into our stateroom to freshen up.

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

It should be open but the menu is pretty much the same every day.  There’s no special embarkation lunch anymore.

Thanks! We don't need anything special. We're flying in really early that day and just want to avoid the crowds on the Lido until we're ready 🙂

We’ve had embarkation day lunch in the MDR on the Zaandam (sister ship to the Volendam).  I think the only time I’ve run into the MDR being closed on embarkation day was last October on the Oosterdam.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JeannyJ said:

We're headed to Alaska on the Volendam next month (out of Vancouver), and I was wondering if the MDR will be open for lunch on embarkation day. I've read that some of the larger ships sometimes have it open for lunch but I can't find anything about the smaller ships in the fleet. We'll already be going there to check it out and see if we can find where our table is so I thought it might be nice to avoid the Lido crazy until we've been able to eat something and get into our stateroom to freshen up.

I recommend the Deck 9 Taco Bar, next to the spa, for lunch on Embarkation Day to avoid the crowds.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I recommend the Deck 9 Taco Bar, next to the spa, for lunch on Embarkation Day to avoid the crowds.

I wish we had a taco bar on the Volendam that would our stop for sure! But they only have 9 decks and the only place to eat on the Lido (deck 8 ) besides the buffet is the Dive In and we might end up there for burgers or hot dogs if we can't eat at the MDR.

8 minutes ago, JeannyJ said:

I wish we had a taco bar on the Volendam that would our stop for sure! But they only have 9 decks and the only place to eat on the Lido (deck 8 ) besides the buffet is the Dive In and we might end up there for burgers or hot dogs if we can't eat at the MDR.

My error in the Deck number.  The Taco Bar was open on the Volendam last month.  When I get some time, I will post photos of the items offered on the Taco Bar.

To save you a trip to the MDR to find your table, here is the Volendam table map: 

Volendam MDR Table Map

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Crew News said:

My error in the Deck number.  The Taco Bar was open on the Volendam last month.  When I get some time, I will post photos of the items offered on the Taco Bar.

To save you a trip to the MDR to find your table, here is the Volendam table map: 

Volendam MDR Table Map

I wonder why they don't show the taco bar on the deck plan. We will definitely be checking it out! Thanks for the table map but how do we find out what table we've been assigned? We booked a table for 2 at the first sitting. On our booking confirmation our dining status is U1Y (no clue what this means).

Just now, JeannyJ said:

I wonder why they don't show the taco bar on the deck plan. We will definitely be checking it out! Thanks for the table map but how do we find out what table we've been assigned? We booked a table for 2 at the first sitting. On our booking confirmation our dining status is U1Y (no clue what this means).

Your table number will be on your stateroom key found in your mailbox on Embarkation Day..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeannyJ said:

We're on the Volendam in August. I hope you'll come back and give us your thoughts, tips, etc.

Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RedbirdFLCruiser said:

We're on the Volendam in August. I hope you'll come back and give us your thoughts, tips, etc.

Have a great time!

I'll try and remember to do a review. It's our first cruise so I'm really excited about having a nice quiet start to what I'm hoping is a new favorite way to vacation 😊

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeannyJ said:

I'll try and remember to do a review. It's our first cruise so I'm really excited about having a nice quiet start to what I'm hoping is a new favorite way to vacation 😊

You are smart knowing the lido is a zoo.  Avoid it as much as possible.  Every cruise I took in 2021 and 2022 on the koningsdam the mdr was closed on embarkation.  I did look. I’m pretty sure that’s all in the past now for every ship.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, loveandpeas said:

I love MDR on Embarkation Day for lunch - but the hours are extremely limited. If you have a later boarding time if may not work out, so be prepared to be flexible.

(We used in May on the Noordam)

It’s always limited.  The lido has much longer hours.

Staff seems to direct all passengers to the Lido and away from the dining room for lunch on embarkation day and may claim that the dining room is closed when it is not. You have to check for yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s always been Deck 2, in my experience.

Can I ask which class of the fleet you're talking about?  The MDR is on decks 4 and 5 on the Volendam, and I'm assuming her sister ship in the R class group (the smallest in the fleet).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JeannyJ said:

Can I ask which class of the fleet you're talking about?  The MDR is on decks 4 and 5 on the Volendam, and I'm assuming her sister ship in the R class group (the smallest in the fleet).

It should be on the lower level so 4 in your case.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, highscar said:

The taco bar was a no no during Covid, buts it’s back now. 

Nothing beats a platter of nachos to tide you over until dinner. 

Tip:  Put some melted cheese on the bottom before adding the chips to keep the layers of goodness from sliding to the floor while walking back to your stateroom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4