CPAP Question

SFLcowboy78

Should I bring extra parts for my CPAP on the cruise or is it possible to order them shipped to one of our ports? Are there any stores in the ports that sell CPAP supplies? We will be stopping in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan

If its important to you bring them with you - they are pretty small anyways. Shipping to a port is  always going to be hit and miss. That said my partner doesn't bother and nothing seems to break on his 

I suggest bringing along an extra set of clips for headgear. Last year, first night on a 24-night cruise, I must have rolled over and snapped the clip holding my headgear in place. 
I did manage to find both pieces, had one terrible night of sleep, and the wizards who maintain the ship were able to Super Glue it back together for the next night. 
Whew! 

That, and an extra filter, are about all I can think of as something critical. 

• Like 1

I always carry two machines, I can't sleep without it.  We're lucky and rarely have fly to a port, so it isn't a big deal.  

Sidenote,  if you need CPAP parts while traveling, you must have your prescription.  I left the water reservoir for my Air10 on a road-trip.  It is not useable without it. 

It was extremely stressful to locate the part in Fresno CA at 4:00 PM.  I found it at a supplier, they were very nice, but they couldn't sell it to my without my prescription.  I was finally able to get hold of my doctor and she faxed it to them.  I was out the door by about 5:10 with my new reservoir -- it cost about $11  😀

Lesson learned!

On 6/16/2023 at 3:30 PM, CRUZBUDS said:

I always carry two machines, I can't sleep without it.  We're lucky and rarely have fly to a port, so it isn't a big deal.  

Sidenote,  if you need CPAP parts while traveling, you must have your prescription.  I left the water reservoir for my Air10 on a road-trip.  It is not useable without it. 

It was extremely stressful to locate the part in Fresno CA at 4:00 PM.  I found it at a supplier, they were very nice, but they couldn't sell it to my without my prescription.  I was finally able to get hold of my doctor and she faxed it to them.  I was out the door by about 5:10 with my new reservoir -- it cost about $11  😀

Lesson learned!

Yet it appears you can order parts online.  Interesting...

https://www.cpap.com/plp/cpap-humidifier-chambers/ZT0yNzc

On 6/17/2023 at 7:30 AM, CRUZBUDS said:

Lesson learned!

That's crazy that you need a prescription for parts! I guess technically my  partner's machine is still owned by the hospital and on long-term loan (it has their part number on it) - but when his mask split he just went in and bought a replacement. Our  issue though is that its a NZ brand so its unlikely to be available tin the USA.   

He  prefers to sleep with it most of the time, but if he has a cold for example he  doesn't use it. "Luckily" our flights are usually overnight in economy so no need for it on a flight (they aren't allowed to be  plugged in on planes). 

It is nuts that a prescription is need for parts - I am on Medicare now, and get my replacement parts shipped to me regularly. 

Here is the prescription requirement to buy a reservoir from CPAP.com.  I imagine all suppliers, in the U.S, have to follow the same rule.  

A humidifier prescription must contain the following information:

Your Doctor's contact information
Your Doctor's signature
Your full name
One of the following words or phrases:
 CPAP Humidifier, Humidifier, HH, CPAP Supplies, CPAP Mask, CPAP, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, APAP, AutoPAP, AutoSet, Auto CPAP, Auto Adjusting CPAP, Self Adjusting CPAP, BiPAP, BiLevel, VPAP, BiPAP Auto, BiPAP ST, Synchrony ST, VPAP ST

On 6/18/2023 at 9:39 AM, CRUZBUDS said:

It is nuts that a prescription is need for parts - I am on Medicare now, and get my replacement parts shipped to me regularly. 

Here is the prescription requirement to buy a reservoir from CPAP.com.  I imagine all suppliers, in the U.S, have to follow the same rule.  

A humidifier prescription must contain the following information:

Your Doctor's contact information
Your Doctor's signature
Your full name
One of the following words or phrases:
 CPAP Humidifier, Humidifier, HH, CPAP Supplies, CPAP Mask, CPAP, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, APAP, AutoPAP, AutoSet, Auto CPAP, Auto Adjusting CPAP, Self Adjusting CPAP, BiPAP, BiLevel, VPAP, BiPAP Auto, BiPAP ST, Synchrony ST, VPAP ST

I've been buying replacement parts on Amazon without prescription the past couple of years after insurance change made it much pricier than what I'd pay online.

36 minutes ago, highscar said:

Please explain the need to sleep with the machine.  Thank you in advance. 

The CPAP machine is required by people who have sleep apnea.  Sleep apnea is stopping breathing while you sleep.  The machine prevents this from happening.  It is therefore considered a necessary medical device. 

If you can't sleep without it, the need to have a prescription for spare parts seems to just make life difficult.  
It is not all that easy to travel by air carrying a CPAP machine and if you have to carry a bag of spare parts as well, well that's just ridiculous.

Fortunately, downunder we don't need a script for replacement parts, just the need to dash around to pick something up.

6 minutes ago, Stratheden said:

If you can't sleep without it, the need to have a prescription for spare parts seems to just make life difficult.  
It is not all that easy to travel by air carrying a CPAP machine and if you have to carry a bag of spare parts as well, well that's just ridiculous.

Fortunately, downunder we don't need a script for replacement parts, just the need to dash around to pick something up.

My partner ended up with  a CPAP a few weeks before a big trip last year.  The travelling  by air was the easy bit - as a medical device its not part of your regular luggage allowance - evne Ryan Air allowed the extra carry on bag without a blink.  

We bought an extension cord in Europe because sometimes its hard to find a plug near the bed in older hotels.   

Luckily his machine doesn't need distilled water or regular replacement of parts  just a new mask piece every year or so. 

• Like 1