Cape Liberty laundry šŸ§ŗ

7 hours ago, little britain said:

Do any hotels near Cape Liberty/Bayonne offer a coin laundry where we can do washing between B2Bs.

I do not understand why you would want to go to a hotel to do laundry, instead of do laundry at a laudromat. Am I missing something here? When we're on an extended trip we usually drop off our laundry at a laudromat, spend the day sightseeing, and then pick up laundry at the end of the day. Alternatively, we take an hour to do it ourselves. There are several small old laundromats near light rail stations in Bayonne (which would be convenient for dropping off and leaving by light rail train for sightseeing), as well as a large modern laudromat at South Cove Commons, a short distance outside the port.

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Do any hotels near Cape Liberty/Bayonne offer a coin laundry where we can do washing between B2Bs. Ā Ideally Elizabeth area so we can go to the Mall while we wait!

thanks!

Yes...I know Hampton Inn & Suites does on 2nd & 3rd floor. If you're not a guest you would have to ask about accessing them. I can certainly understand your need for it.

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Do any hotels near Cape Liberty/Bayonne offer a coin laundry where we can do washing between B2Bs. Ā Ideally Elizabeth area so we can go to the Mall while we wait!

thanks!

The hotels on International Boulevard in Elizabeth NJ near Jersey Gardens mall will not allow non guests to use their laundry facilities.

Ā 

The closest laundromat to Cape Liberty is Super Spin located at 81 Lefante Way in Bayonne, almost 3 miles from the terminal. They do offer drop off wash & fold service.

3 hours ago, meadowlander said:

The hotels on International Boulevard in Elizabeth NJ near Jersey Gardens mall will not allow non guests to use their laundry facilities.

Ā 

The closest laundromat to Cape Liberty is Super Spin located at 81 Lefante Way in Bayonne, almost 3 miles from the terminal. They do offer drop off wash & fold service.

Thanks. Have you any idea what sort of price they charge? Do you have to supply your own detergent? I have not been in a laundromat for yearsā€¦ tbh I didnā€™t think they still existed! Hence my initial question re hotels!Ā 

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Thanks. Have you any idea what sort of price they charge? Do you have to supply your own detergent? I have not been in a laundromat for yearsā€¦ tbh I didnā€™t think they still existed! Hence my initial question re hotels!Ā 

Called to ask. Washers have 3 prices $3.75, $6.50 and $8.50. Dryer is 48 cents for every 10 minutes. Detergent is for sale. Credit card, debit card and notes accepted but not coins. Drop off wash and fold is $1.25 per pound. Walmart is a mile walk from Super Spin otherwise no where else close by to utilize your time.

Ā 

Another laundromat (Tropical Breeze) is 3.5 miles from Cape Liberty and is a 1 minute walk to Shop Rite (supermarket). Tropical Breeze has a website.

6 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Called to ask. Washers have 3 prices $3.75, $6.50 and $8.50. Dryer is 48 cents for every 10 minutes. Detergent is for sale. Credit card, debit card and notes accepted but not coins. Drop off wash and fold is $1.25 per pound. Walmart is a mile walk from Super Spin otherwise no where else close by to utilize your time.

Ā 

Another laundromat (Tropical Breeze) is 3.5 miles from Cape Liberty and is a 1 minute walk to Shop Rite (supermarket). Tropical Breeze has a website.

OMG I cannot thank you enough! Youā€™re a true superstar!Ā 

• Thanks 1

Lol of course there are laundry mats still, where would folks do their laundry who donā€™t have a washer/dryer? My daughter is living in Boston, laundry mats are the only place you can get quarters there (banks donā€™t have them), but you need to use their machines in order to get quarters. We have several in our small suburban town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Lol of course there are laundry mats still, where would folks do their laundry who donā€™t have a washer/dryer? My daughter is living in Boston, laundry mats are the only place you can get quarters there (banks donā€™t have them), but you need to use their machines in order to get quarters. We have several in our small suburban town.

I have to ask: Ā are you actually saying that banks in Boston do not have quarters? Ā 

32 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have to ask: Ā are you actually saying that banks in Boston do not have quarters? Ā 

Yes, my daughter stocks up when sheā€™s home in NJ, she was frantic at one point. And her bank here in NJ is cashless so we have to use our bank.

11 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Lol of course there are laundry mats still, where would folks do their laundry who donā€™t have a washer/dryer?

Excluding homeowners, I would expect that most people do NOT have a washer and dryer of their own. While I have not researched the issue, it seems obvious to me. I am a co-op owner, and our house rules specifically prohibit washers in individual apartments. Our building's washers (Wascomat-style front-loading) are $1.50 for a double loader, or $2.50 for a triple loader, and our dryers are 25 cents for 6 minutes. All cashless, using reloadable chip-based cards.

Ā 

I have only had one minor hiccup in doing laundry while on a cruise. We had planned to do laundry in Oranjestad, Aruba, but the facility we planned to visit was dry cleaning only. Another customer was kind enough to give us a lift to a full service laudromat, and so dropped off our laundry bags there (unexpectedly no English spoken, but I am fine with communicating in Spanish). Inexpensive and good service in Aruba . . . though uniformly the best laundry services in my experience have all been in MĆ©xico. Any full service in Bayonne, New Jersey, should be just fine.

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Her bank is cashless?????Ā 

Yes, no tellers anymore, just the atm. She opened up the account 4 years ago because there was a branch at her university, sheā€™s home this summer for clinicals so Iā€™m going to suggest she switch.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Yes, no tellers anymore, just the atm. She opened up the account 4 years ago because there was a branch at her university, sheā€™s home this summer for clinicals so Iā€™m going to suggest she switch.

Of course if it just a bankā€™s ATM, it isnā€™t really a ā€œbankā€. Ā My local bank has an ATM in our local supermarket and at several off-premises locations- but those locations are not considered banks. Ā Any bank is required to handle US legal tender (which includes coins) for its depositors.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course if it just a bankā€™s ATM, it isnā€™t really a ā€œbankā€. Ā My local bank has an ATM in our local supermarket and at several off-premises locations- but those locations are not considered banks. Ā Any bank is required to handle US legal tender (which includes coins) for its depositors.

But the bank is still there, just locked. It surprised a lot of locals.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

You mean the building is still there - once it stopped offering banking services it stopped being a bank.

Itā€™s listed as a PNC bank solutions center, it says online that you can make appointments for.services but they donā€™t have tellers.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, little britain said:

@GTJĀ - pretty much any house or apartment you rent in England would have a washing machine or space and plumbing so you can put your own in!

Are washing machines typically supplied by the landlord, for each apartment (or "flat") and for each tenant? That seems so odd. I would assume that most pre-war apartments were built without the type of plumbing that would be needed, so was there a massive rebuilding of pre-war apartments in London and other cities at some point in time?

Ā 

While other large appliances, such as refrigerators and stoves, are supplied as part of the rent for a basic apartment, washing machines--within an individual apartment--are a luxury, at least here in New York. Most ordinary tenants do not own washing machines, and either use the machines that are typically in a laundry room within a large apartment building, or use a laundromat for smaller apartment buildings that house two to six families. This article has more details: http://www.gasdaskaconlonteam.com/why-nyc-apartments-lack-washers-and-dryers.

Ā 

Ā 

The podcast is on point. You also have older apartment houses that include heat and water/sewer and washing machines are banned in the lease.Ā 

We even had a tenant evicted for violating that part of the lease, of course, his washing machine broke and flooded two apartments below his.

At least I have a laundry room not I but have lived where I had to take clothes to the laundromat weekly.

Ā 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 6:27 AM, little britain said:

OMG I cannot thank you enough! Youā€™re a true superstar!Ā 

@meadowlander

We are going to try Tropical Breeze- they say they do service washes and there seem to be lots of restaurants in the area where we can go for a big New Jersey lunch šŸ• whilst we wait!Ā 

Edited by little britain

31 minutes ago, little britain said:

@meadowlander

We are going to try Tropical Breeze- they say they do service washes and there seem to be lots of restaurants in the area where we can go for a big New Jersey lunch šŸ• whilst we wait!Ā 

New Jersey is the diner capital of the US. Broadway Diner is at 1075 Broadway in Bayonne. 2.7 km from Tropical Breeze. NJ Transit bus service is available or you could have your Uber driver take you there.Ā  Empanadas Cafe is walking distance from the laundromat.

Ā 

Should be good pizzerias nearby as well but please do not patronize Pizza Hut or Domino's or any chain brand being you are in NJ.

Ā 

Shop Rite, across the street from the laundromat, should have pre made sandwiches and is the supermarket to stop at if you want to bring treats onto the ship.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by meadowlander

36 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

New Jersey is the diner capital of the US. Broadway Diner is at 1075 Broadway in Bayonne. 2.7 km from Tropical Breeze. NJ Transit bus service is available or you could have your Uber driver take you there.Ā  Empanadas Cafe is walking distance from the laundromat.

Ā 

Should be good pizzerias nearby as well but please do not patronize Pizza Hut or Domino's or any chain brand being you are in NJ.

Ā 

Shop Rite, across the street from the laundromat, should have pre made sandwiches and is the supermarket to stop at if you want to bring treats onto the ship.

Ā 

Ā 

Do not worry! We would never go to Dominoā€™s or PH!Ā 
Thanks for Diner recommendation Ā - amĀ 
trying to get through to TB to find out their charges/ do they take cards etc

22 minutes ago, little britain said:

Do not worry! We would never go to Dominoā€™s or PH!Ā 
Thanks for Diner recommendation Ā - amĀ 
trying to get through to TB to find out their charges/ do they take cards etc

I'll give them a call. Check in about 4 hours.

• Like 1