Cape Liberty laundry 🧺

3 hours ago, little britain said:

trying to get through to TB to find out their charges/ do they take cards etc

I dialed TB phone number listed online. Never before have I had to give my name and hit the # key (their screening process) to reach voice mail. Asked them to call back, I doubt they will. I did notice when I reached actual voice mail, Laundry Express (not TB) was the name of the business given. Should they call, I will post.

Laundry detergent at the Shop Rite across the street will be much cheaper than if sold at TB, if you care to save a few dollars.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

I dialed TB phone number listed online. Never before have I had to give my name and hit the # key (their screening process) to reach voice mail. Asked them to call back, I doubt they will. I did notice when I reached actual voice mail, Laundry Express (not TB) was the name of the business given. Should they call, I will post.

Laundry detergent at the Shop Rite across the street will be much cheaper than if sold at TB, if you care to save a few dollars.

Thanks, I called too ( expensive from England!) and got the name for screening too.. bit OTT for a laundry!! 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, little britain said:

Thanks, I called too ( expensive from England!) and got the name for screening too.. bit OTT for a laundry!! 

I mentioned the Broadway Diner at 1075 Broadway in Bayonne. It is 3 miles from the terminal at Cape Liberty. There are 3 laundromats in walking distance to the diner. 

Tony's Laundromat (95 cents pound for wash & fold) & Joy Laundromat ($1 per pound for wash & fold) only accept cash. 

Triple Clean Laundromat is in Jersey City (2 Garfield Ave) but in walking distance of the diner. They charge $1.75 pound for wash & fold and accept credit/debit cards & cash. TC website lists $1.99 washes (20 lb washers only) Monday through Thursday.

Should you reconsider TB/Laundry Express. Domino's & Papa John's pizza are near these 3 laundromats, if that is extra incentive.😆

Edited by meadowlander

Request info on a hotel in the NJ side with possible shuttle to NYC port.

The last time- about 6 years ago-  I believe we stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield park.  
138EAST was a very big help in the past and hoping to her/his input again.

TIA

52 minutes ago, dcruisers said:

Request info on a hotel in the NJ side with possible shuttle to NYC port.

The last time- about 6 years ago-  I believe we stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield park.  
138EAST was a very big help in the past and hoping to her/his input again.

TIA

I suspect you won't get any additional input than you've already received on the separate thread you started on this topic. 😉

@meadowlander thanks again! We will go to the TC one I think… and I promise we won’t go to Dominoes!  

We have actually been to the community that the Dominoes guy founded in Florida! A very catholic town called Ave Maria. Useless fact.. there isn’t a pizza restaurant in Ave Maria!!

As we haven’t used a USA laundromat before; how long does it take?? Are they always able to take in a service wash? you also mentioned buying your own detergent- is that necessary? 
We hope to be off the ship by 10 and need to be back by 3:30 on a Thursday which I guess shouldn’t be busy ( unless everyone on the ship B2B is following this thread too!) 

#laundromatnewbies 

Edited by little britain

4 hours ago, little britain said:

@meadowlander thanks again! We will go to the TC one I think… and I promise we won’t go to Dominoes!  

We have actually been to the community that the Dominoes guy founded in Florida! A very catholic town called Ave Maria. Useless fact.. there isn’t a pizza restaurant in Ave Maria!!

As we haven’t used a USA laundromat before; how long does it take?? Are they always able to take in a service wash? you also mentioned buying your own detergent- is that necessary? 
We hope to be off the ship by 10 and need to be back by 3:30 on a Thursday which I guess shouldn’t be busy ( unless everyone on the ship B2B is following this thread too!) 

#laundromatnewbies 

Any laundromat will provide detergent - either as part of the service or for you to purchase on site. Two or three hours from drop off to pick up is all it should take (if you let them do it), perhaps an hour and a half if you want to stay and do it all yourself.  Have you considered biting the bullet and just paying for shipboard laundry service to save yourself that time?

A local pastor in CT who grew up with Monaghan (founder of Dominoes and of the Ave Maria law school in FL) was lured to FL to serve as chaplain of that law school.

29 minutes ago, little britain said:

We get some free laundry on board but tbh nothing comes back smelling fresh so I’d prefer it to be done properly! We then get cheap ironing on board to get DHs shirts 👔 ironed. 

That “smelling fresh” comment reminds me of how, when I stay with my sister in Herts. my laundry always smells so good - perhaps it’s some Brit detergent - helped by the fact that she hangs it out to air dry when the weather is good and time plenty.

Maybe you are a bit spoiled.

Edited by navybankerteacher

10 hours ago, little britain said:

The answers to your questions depend on whether you will be doing the laundry yourself, or using drop-off service. For yourself, the washing cycle is typically 30 minutes, and the drying cycle another 30 minutes. Generally you supply your own detergent (some laudromats might provide "free" detergent on a promotional basis), which you can generally buy in small single-use boxes from the laudromat. Total cost for washing what will fit in a single machine, including detergent, should be less than ten dollars. For drop-off service, you should allow several hours. Given your time constraints, you will want to emphasize your "need-by" time it can be properly prioritized. The laundomat provides the detergent as part of its drop-off price. Cost is generally determined on a per-pound basis, likely around $2.00 per pound.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 3:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

That “smelling fresh” comment reminds me of how, when I stay with my sister in Herts. my laundry always smells so good - perhaps it’s some Brit detergent - helped by the fact that she hangs it out to air dry when the weather is good and time plenty.

Maybe you are a bit spoiled.

We don’t tend to use tumble dryers in England!! They are considered too expensive!  I use mine for towels and sheets only! Can’t stand rough towels! 

Worried about our clothes shrinking in USA dryers! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@meadowlander we made it!! 

Tropical Breeze has changed name to Laundry Express!

If anyone else wants to wash between cruises: 

$6 per wash and $3 to dry. 

we had to go to the supermarket opposite to buy detergent which we donated!

No one there to do a service wash but we were in and out in an hour 

we are now in the Broadway Diner having lunch ! 

thanks again! 

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

3 hours ago, little britain said:

@meadowlander we made it!! 

Tropical Breeze has changed name to Laundry Express!

If anyone else wants to wash between cruises: 

$6 per wash and $3 to dry. 

we had to go to the supermarket opposite to buy detergent which we donated!

No one there to do a service wash but we were in and out in an hour 

we are now in the Broadway Diner having lunch ! 

thanks again! 

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

You are welcome. Hope to see you onboard. Doing consecutive cruises. I am sure your lunch was better than mine in WJ.

Edited by meadowlander

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Our diners are the best, in spite of the fact that due to Covid, they’re no longer 24/7 😭

Diners are always #1 with us. Had dinner last night at one of our favorites, and will have lunch today at a different one.

Not only were hours cut, but some diners never recovered from the pandemic closure and subsequent restrictions and permanently closed . One of our favorites, Mastoris Diner in Bordentown, is no more. The property was sold and the diner converted into a fancy Italian restaurant, Originally they were so pretentious that they  required men to wear jackets at dinner, which is totally unheard of in this area of Central New Jersey. I guess they realized their mistake and jackets are now "preferred but not required". You never need a jacket at a diner !

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Diners are always #1 with us. Had dinner last night at one of our favorites, and will have lunch today at a different one.

Not only were hours cut, but some diners never recovered from the pandemic closure and subsequent restrictions and permanently closed . One of our favorites, Mastoris Diner in Bordentown, is no more. The property was sold and the diner converted into a fancy Italian restaurant, Originally they were so pretentious that they  required men to wear jackets at dinner, which is totally unheard of in this area of Central New Jersey. I guess they realized their mistake and jackets are now "preferred but not required". You never need a jacket at a diner !

We lost the Lyndhurst diner but the two we frequent most are still open. My poor young adult kids are the ones suffering with nowhere to get food after 3 am except a parkway rest stop. Used to love watching the sun rise over my disco fries after a night in the city.