NCL to close 9 production shows

Those finish dates are probably related to cast contract dates. I hope I get to see Six on Bliss in October and they don’t end it earlier than said. 
I do know the costumes for some of the shows are seriously protected IP, when I did the behind the scenes ship tour those broadway show costumes were just about the only thing we were explicitly told not to photograph. 
There’s been enough commentary on here about Kinky boots regularly cancelling performances and then Priscilla had been on Epic for almost a decade so was due for replacement. That leaves Footloose and Six as the 2 broadway style productions getting the chop. Six surprises me as most of the reviews suggest it’s a popular show. 
j

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

There’s been enough commentary on here about Kinky boots regularly cancelling performances

Yeah, I think Kinky said "our way or the highway" and NCL said, "here's your car". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I missed Six on the Bliss back in December 2021; cast illnesses so  performances were cancelled.  I'd seen the show on Broadway and was looking forward to it.  Footloose, not so much, though obviously that's my personal preference.  I did enjoy Elements, though, so hope that's sticking around on the Joy.

Of course those productions aren't cheap and they probably can move performances like the Beatles act into the big room for one or two nights.  Since Cavern Club is usually crowded that might not be a terrible move.  

It's disappointing but for a company that lost so much money from the pandemic until now, business as usual becomes unsustainable.  There are two options:  raise fares or lower service.  I'd personally rather pay a couple hundred bucks more and keep the twice daily service, big production shows, etc.  But I suppose they don't think they'll fill the ships at that price point, so here we are.

Edited by phillygwm

21 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

It's disappointing but for a company that lost so much money from the pandemic until now, business as usual becomes unsustainable.  There are two options:  raise fares or lower service.  I'd personally rather pay a couple hundred bucks more and keep the twice daily service, big production shows, etc.  But I suppose they don't think they'll fill the ships at that price point, so here we are.

Very well put. At what point do you sacrifice quality for cost?  Do you lower the quality, or do you raise the cost?  It has to be one or the other. They can't coexist

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I'm sure cancelling the shows has more to do with the cast than it does the audience.

Actually the royalty fees NCL is paying to have real, relatively current Broadway shows on board Is probably the reason they are stopping them.  NCL doesn't care if we were are seeing the same shows, and they are not paying the casts and production teams enough that cutting the shows saves money in those aspects.  Getting talent and production is not an issue either as many start their professional careers on cruise ships.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

There are two options:  raise fares or lower service.  I'd personally rather pay a couple hundred bucks more and keep the twice daily service, big production shows, etc.  But I suppose they don't think they'll fill the ships at that price point, so here we are.

And I'm the opposite! I have zero need for twice daily service (heck, I could even do with every other day!) And even big production shows by the nice, they are no big deal to me. I care much more about the price and itineraries. 

But that's me and my sometimes odd priorities. Others apparently think very differently. But I think that in order to get new people into cruising (which is a must!)  they probably need to have a good think about what pays and what doesn't.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, insidecabin said:

The message should include what's next.

I have no problem with EOL long running entertainment for something new.

NCL spent years teasing new ship reveals loads of innovation and exciting new shows.

Not seeing the enthusiasm for the future these days.

It's just part of the relentless assault of marketing.   If you announce an end of show, you want people to rush to book their cruises earlier, to get in while the show still lasts.   If you announce what's next, then you expect people to book cruises later, to catch that next show.

Anyway, I forwarded that casting call on to a troop of theater students.  

7 hours ago, Asawi said:

And I'm the opposite! I have zero need for twice daily service (heck, I could even do with every other day!) And even big production shows by the nice, they are no big deal to me. I care much more about the price and itineraries. 

I'm confident there are more people like you versus me.  NCL wouldn't take these steps if they didn't run studies etc. beforehand.

Truth is I rarely go to the shows but I like having the option.  The ones I have attended seemed to be pretty full.  And 2x service just makes me feel like it's a bit more luxurious.  I certainly will survive without it.  

7 hours ago, gizfish said:

Actually the royalty fees NCL is paying to have real, relatively current Broadway shows on board Is probably the reason they are stopping them.  

This is closer to what's happening.  They "repurpose" the cast for other things (I remember they did a Broadway revue on my last trip.  Probably other stuff as well.)  So at some point during the cruise, most of the pax probably encounter them in some form.  Especially for a show like Six, the cast and crew is relatively small so it probably wasn't a personnel issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

NCL wouldn't take these steps if they didn't run studies etc. beforehand.

The only study that need be undertaken is bottom line profit. Easy decision, but likely the wrong one as it further devalues their brand.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, insidecabin said:

... Latest UK bargain 9n on getaway for under $300pp(inc taxes)

If you can fill a ships theatre with a game show and bingo that make a load of money why put on expensive shows.

Devil's advocate for a moment ... why not get rid of the "costly" theater space entirely & use the atrium, which is used from morning until late evening for lots of things and jammed full.  And, add extra (inside) cabins to help the corporate bottom line. 

Now, apparently - paid Behind The Scene tours & Vibe Passes are listed as entertainment options on our upcoming cruise 🙄🙄🙄  Really, what the ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, amygutman said:

It's interesting to watch the vlogs of cruise ship crew and performers. I am not sure what kind of job one can get as an ice skater (or high-diver / swimmer) if not coaching or performing on ships, travelling shows, etc. It's a heck of a financial / time investment though which other than the love of the sport, does not appear to be financial lucrative.

I found this posting re: cruise ship performer salaries / benefits and the salary seems to be in-line what vloggers have alluded to: https://www.cruiselinejob.com/entertai.htm

That being said, I have done many physicals on cruise ship performers who state that it's not necessarily the money, but the fact that it's a gateway to an Equity card which allows them to get paid a higher salary on land, and open up auditions limited to "professional" performers. The money? One performer told me that his 20K job (7 days a week, multiple performances during the day) paid more in one year than he had made the previous 3 on land (but less than being a waiter). He worked in the shops on the ship in his off-hours for commissions. He was very proud though of being a "working actor" whereas many of his friends were unemployed. 

Warmest, Amy

I think that is great, but some shows are more difficult to cast than others. With Million Dollar Quartet for example, not just anyone can perform Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Carl or Johnny Cash. They must be a triple threat: be able to play the instrument, sing and act.  Also they are understudies for the Burn the Floor Singers. Elvis is the understudy for Burn the Floor singer. If he can't sing the music, then it falls on Carl Perkins who ends up doing 8 shows a week until they can hire someone else. Now they are also all in Broadway Unplugged, which I hear is wonderful, but that is two more shows a week.  Dyanne (Elvis' girlfriend) is the understudy for the Burn the Floor female singer and vice versa. I personally would not want to be the NCL casting director. And if you break the rules, you are fired immediately and the others might have one or two days to cover for you to avoid canceling the show. I have great admiration for these folks and their talents.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

NCL wouldn't take these steps if they didn't run studies etc. beforehand.

gosh, one would hope so.  

but the prima is evidence that, unlike most enlightened companies, they probably don't.

if they had, they would have found out that people love the idea of the indulge food hall, but don't like going around in circles for 45 minutes, like planes waiting to land at la guardia, looking for a place to sit. they would have found out that their comedy club is too small, as are all their other dining venues. they would have learned that people hate the idea of one menu in the MDRs. they would have learned that many people are emotionally attached to the fish on the carpet and removing them would pose a risk to guest satisfaction. they would have learned that people enjoy having libraries and card rooms and removing them, too, poses a risk to guest satisfaction.

the list is endless.

NCL reacts to challenges after they occur.

they don't anticipate and they do very little proactively.

they are not a progressive company.

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, UKstages said:

gosh, one would hope so.  

but the prima is evidence that, unlike most enlightened companies, they probably don't.

if they had, they would have found out that people love the idea of the indulge food hall, but don't like going around in circles for 45 minutes, like planes waiting to land at la guardia, looking for a place to sit. they would have found out that their comedy club is too small, as are all their other dining venues. they would have learned that people hate the idea of one menu in the MDRs. they would have learned that many people are emotionally attached to the fish on the carpet and removing them would pose a risk to guest satisfaction. they would have learned that people enjoy having libraries and card rooms and removing them, too, poses a risk to guest satisfaction.

the list is endless.

NCL reacts to challenges after they occur.

they don't anticipate and they do very little proactively.

they are not a progressive company.

NCL used to be the most innovative cruise company.

Where NCL went others followed.

How times change.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seminole1975 said:

I think that is great, but some shows are more difficult to cast than others. With Million Dollar Quartet for example, not just anyone can perform Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Carl or Johnny Cash. They must be a triple threat: be able to play the instrument, sing and act.  Also they are understudies for the Burn the Floor Singers. Elvis is the understudy for Burn the Floor singer. If he can't sing the music, then it falls on Carl Perkins who ends up doing 8 shows a week until they can hire someone else. Now they are also all in Broadway Unplugged, which I hear is wonderful, but that is two more shows a week.  Dyanne (Elvis' girlfriend) is the understudy for the Burn the Floor female singer and vice versa. I personally would not want to be the NCL casting director. And if you break the rules, you are fired immediately and the others might have one or two days to cover for you to avoid canceling the show. I have great admiration for these folks and their talents.

If I remember correctly wasn't your son Carl Perkins on the Getaway? If so what is he doing now? MDQ was my favorite show on NCL but now Choir of Man beats it out slightly.

16 minutes ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

If I remember correctly wasn't your son Carl Perkins on the Getaway? If so what is he doing now? MDQ was my favorite show on NCL but now Choir of Man beats it out slightly.

He is currently back on the Getaway playing Carl Perkins (and understudy Burn the Floor and in Broadway Unplugged) with his new wife who is playing Dyanne. (They met on the Getaway in MDQ!) We are going to see them in August. They decided to go on one more adventure since this contract goes to Europe. They had a hard time during COVID when all theater shut down for a year. They both tried other jobs to make do (due?) and decided that performing was what they loved best. They have some land jobs lined up after this contract is over. Thanks for asking.

Edited by Seminole1975
clarification
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, phillygwm said:

It's disappointing but for a company that lost so much money from the pandemic until now, business as usual becomes unsustainable.  There are two options:  raise fares or lower service. 

Actually, three options... the worst result for the paying passenger..... raise fares AND lower service.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Pardon me if this is old news. I looked on the first 2 pages and didn’t see anything. 

NCL announced they will close 9 production shows. No replacements have been announced. 

https://crew-center.com/ncl-close-seven-production-shows-brace-yourselves-innovative-replacements

5DB237CB-801E-4C04-8CC5-DE49867C8645.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. The author of the Crew Center article gets an A+ from me for sarcasm.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Actually, three options... the worst result for the paying passenger..... raise fares AND lower service.

Well yeah, but at some point people vote with their feet.  Nobody wants to sail on the high price low quality provider.  Some people want cheap, others want quality, and people in the middle weigh both to get to "value" which can be a bit amorphous.

To someone else's point, every line is taking similar action to make a dent in the billions of debt they've collectively accrued.  As a shareholder, I get it.  What's the highest amount you can get while sailing at or close to capacity?

• Like 3

the real goal should be to create a superior guest experience (within the limitations of your product category), so that people will pay a premium price. when you raise prices and simultaneously degrade quality, you can't achieve that.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

He is currently back on the Getaway playing Carl Perkins with his new wife who is playing Dyanne. (They met on the Getaway in MDQ!) We are going to see them in August. They decided to go on one more adventure since this contract goes to Europe. They had a hard time during COVID when all theater shut down for a year. They both tried other jobs to make do and decided that performing was what they loved best. They have some land jobs lined up after this contract is over. Thanks for asking.

That is great for them. I think we saw MDQ on the Getaway about ten times in the past. Last time was the summer of 2019. Funny thing in two weeks we are seeing it again this time on land in a summer stock theatre that helps get the actors their equity cards. We will also being in Europe in August but not on the Getaway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seminole1975 said:

He is currently back on the Getaway playing Carl Perkins (and understudy Burn the Floor and in Broadway Unplugged) with his new wife who is playing Dyanne. (They met on the Getaway in MDQ!) We are going to see them in August. They decided to go on one more adventure since this contract goes to Europe. They had a hard time during COVID when all theater shut down for a year. They both tried other jobs to make do (due?) and decided that performing was what they loved best. They have some land jobs lined up after this contract is over. Thanks for asking.

Your son and daughter-in-law are awesome!  We were on Getaway in late May and absolutely loved MDQ and Broadway Unplugged.  Such a talented cast😊

• Like 1