NCL to close 9 production shows

It sounds like everything else in life right now: You are paying more and getting less. It is the nightly entertainment that makes me favor cruising over other vacations. If the entertainment is going, then I may be going too.

• Like 6

We just got off the Joy on Sunday.  Their show is Footloose but two weeks before our sailing (6/11/23) I read on the NCL website that it would not be showing ONLY on our sailing.  We did see performers with Footloose jackets on the ship but no show!  We were so disappointed.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:30 AM, Seminole1975 said:

It’s hard sometimes to get actors who will leave home for six months and who can adapt to ship life. 

Especially after Covid when they were not allowed off the ship  ports for weeks at a time!! Travel is no longer a benefit of the job if you can't see anything!!

On 6/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, luv2kroooz said:

They could still announce a lower budget, replacement third show.

The low budget replacements that are currently being used are short-contract guest performers and entertainment staff already on the ship. It is cheaper to pay one bad ventriloquist than an entire production show cast and support. That’s the way it has been on our April and May cruises. We’ll see if it continues. I spoke to production managers on both cruises and there are no plans to bring on any other big production shows (Broadway or otherwise). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The low budget replacements that are currently being used are short-contract guest performers and entertainment staff already on the ship. It is cheaper to pay one bad ventriloquist than an entire production show cast and support. That’s the way it has been on our April and May cruises. We’ll see if it continues. I spoke to production managers on both cruises and there are no plans to bring on any other big production shows (Broadway or otherwise). 

Such a said state of affairs for casts & crews that want to spend their careers on the seas. Fewer and fewer options. Glad I did it in the early 2000's but also glad I'm done with ships.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So sad to hear this. The evening production shows are what we really look forward to. Sadly, we may not be booking NCL, one of our favorite cruise lines, in the future.

• Like 2

What a way to announce changes without announcing changes.

Three paragraphs of word salad and basically saying nothing. Sounds like more to come in the next few months which would contradict what the entertainment directors communicated in the above post......

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/06/norwegian-prepares-to-update-entertainment-closes-some-productions/

“As part of a broader company-wide initiative, we are making some strategic adjustments to ensure that we operate our business effectively, cohesively, and profitability, while delivering a full program of exceptional products,”

“We remain committed to delivering innovative and cutting-edge shows that captive and inspire our guests, and we are thrilled to announce that will raise the bar even further,” 

“We understand that change can be difficult, but we are confident that these adjustments will allow us to create an even more memorable experience for our guests. This is a truly exciting time of growth and transformation for our company and industry, and we are honored to be at the forefront of this evolution,”

I look forward to seeing how "profitability" and "innovative and cutting-edge shows" work together on NCL. I more than enjoyed the musical productions I've seen so far.

"Exceptional products"?  Bring 'em on! I'll be the judge....

• Like 3

yikes! i assume the typos in that piece are from cruise industry news and not in the NCL email or press release. if not, that's doubly embarrassing for NCL... do they really intend to hold audiences "captive?"

i'm waiting to see what happens. if they replace "footloose with "beetlejuice" then it's not a cost cutting measure and they should rightfully be "honored to be at the forefront of this evolution." if they replace "six" with "kimberly akimbo" (not likely), then they can rightly claim that they are trying to “exceed the expectations”i of their guests.

if they replace those shows with a solo violinist who performs to prerecorded music tracks (as i witnessed on the prima a few weeks ago) or they replace them with a solo singer you've never heard of who does a show called "how to be a headliner" (as i also witnessed on the prima a few weeks ago) or they have the few remaining cast members onboard do a broadway review without a director or a concept or a set which is mostly performed to prerecorded music tracks (as i also witnessed on the prima a few weeks ago), then they're not "elevating the offerings" and putting forth an "exceptional product" ...they're running a glorified karaoke bar.

there is nothing wrong with doing small scale broadway musicals (or revues) with scaled down orchestras and limited numbers of cast members. that's how you save money. but the music has to be live and the show has to have some sort of pedigree. otherwise, you might as well just show videos of the ed sullivan show.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Sound exactly the same when a huge corporation sends an email explaining why it had to cut 10 000 jobs.

“We understand that change can be difficult, but we are confident that these adjustments will allow us to create an even more memorable experience for our guests. This is a truly exciting time of growth and transformation for our company and industry, and we are honored to be at the forefront of this evolution,”

Edited by dandee2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, SakeDad said:

Especially after Covid when they were not allowed off the ship  ports for weeks at a time!! Travel is no longer a benefit of the job if you can't see anything!!

So true! Things have loosened up a bit now however. 

11 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

So true! Things have loosened up a bit now however. 

True but they lost a lot of good will during that. I know several people that have left ships and won't go back.

My daughter tells me that performers are avoiding Norwegian, in part because they have very strict daily weigh-ins (you’re out if you gain five pounds) and not the best working conditions.

If you can get the talent, why even try for the best shows?

14 minutes ago, reporterbabe said:

My daughter tells me that performers are avoiding Norwegian, in part because they have very strict daily weigh-ins (you’re out if you gain five pounds) and not the best working conditions.

Makes sense. And there going to have a lot more trouble getting them when talent feels their shows and contracts can be canceled without notice like they did to Kinky Boots

2 hours ago, reporterbabe said:

This is no longer true. 10 years ago it used to be in the contract for production cast members that they could not gain or lose more than 5 pounds. As the years passed, NCL took a healthier approach: now cast members are contracted for 5 hours of exercise beyond rehearsals each week.

15 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

This is no longer true. 10 years ago it used to be in the contract for production cast members that they could not gain or lose more than 5 pounds. As the years passed, NCL took a healthier approach: now cast members are contracted for 5 hours of exercise beyond rehearsals each week.

I'm honestly not sure that's an improvement for some folks.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, reporterbabe said:

I guess it would depend on the show. Definitely not true for MDQ. As long as you can fit in your costume you are ok. 😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, UKstages said:

"the price is right" is a very slick, very well produced game show with high production values, but it is not professional show business cruise ship entertainment. 

I agree. I love the theater, not the game shows. Game shows would not be a selling point for us, but I know some people love them. 

• Haha 1

Well, looks like "tabletop" exercise is going to be one of the newest entertainment option - how exciting for some guests onboard this Fall.  NOT.  Supper Club (as in the Spiegel Tent on some other *Away ships) being the other (paid option would be my guess) ... It's a good thing, for this Fall itinerary - it is port intensive and odds are NCL won't offer anything.  On the last sea day, most would be busy packing and sorting out their onboard accounts, and CAS players cruising on subsidized & discounted fares likely occupied donating to the digital machines.  

Ships might continue to sail at 110% double occupancies ahead as Frankie proclaimed, leaving it up to Harry to execute and bring in the dough ... good news, Alaska this summer is on fire sale, Inside cabin base sailaway fares as low as $299 p/p not including all the extras, nickels & dimes, dollars and of course, going to cost more Benjamin (bill)s - what can one truly expect. 

Times are surely changing 🤔

NCL Escape Sept 2023 Entertain Options.jpg

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

f they replace those shows with a solo violinist who performs to prerecorded music tracks (as i witnessed on the prima a few weeks ago) or they replace them with a solo singer you've never heard of who does a show called "how to be a headliner" (as i also witnessed on the prima a few weeks ago) or they have the few remaining cast members onboard do a broadway review without a director or a concept or a set which is mostly performed to prerecorded music tracks (as i also witnessed on the prima a few weeks ago), then they're not "elevating the offerings" and putting forth an "exceptional product" ...they're running a glorified karaoke bar.

If they contract a violinist like Lindsey Stirling, then I'd be happy! I'd take watching her perform over any of the shows currently on the ship. Likely not going to happen as she's actually a well-known performer. Does NCL get well-known performers? Except for folks like Katy Perry (why didn't anyone warn NCL she can't sing live - and I love me some "Teenage Dream" or "Waking up in Vegas" if it's the studio version)!

And, more shows like Broadway Unplugged (if sung live) would be nice. I'd definitely watch that, as well. 

But really, a few solo acts that are on Lindsey's level would be somewhat excited. I don't really cruise for the entertainment, though. I did enjoy "Footloose" and "Million Dollar Quartet," but I sure don't cruise for them. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

But really, a few solo acts that are on Lindsey's level would be somewhat excited. I don't really cruise for the entertainment, though. I did enjoy "Footloose" and "Million Dollar Quartet," but I sure don't cruise for them. 

We also enjoyed the solo acts, even lesser known performers. We've seen Elton John tributes, Whitney Houston, Frankie Valli etc. But you have to have a live band to pull it off. Maybe the violinist would be an exception. If it is just a person standing on stage with a spotlight on them singing to a prerecorded track, well, that is karaoke.

We enjoy good evening entertainment. It is why we left carnival when they switched to their playlist shows, many of which were just glorified theme park revue shows. They have improved a little since their original release. I guess we will have to wait and see what NCL is planning, but yeah, bamboozled and behind the scenes tours are not what we are looking for.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

miami, we have a problem.

do you really want your valued guests walking off the ship telling people they were bamboozled by NCL?

what were they thinking?

in the same vein, why not rename “taste” and “savor?”

going forward, why not call the two MDRs “nickel” and “dime?”

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

52 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

We also enjoyed the solo acts, even lesser known performers. We've seen Elton John tributes, Whitney Houston, Frankie Valli etc. But you have to have a live band to pull it off. Maybe the violinist would be an exception. If it is just a person standing on stage with a spotlight on them singing to a prerecorded track, well, that is karaoke.

We enjoy good evening entertainment. It is why we left carnival when they switched to their playlist shows, many of which were just glorified theme park revue shows. They have improved a little since their original release. I guess we will have to wait and see what NCL is planning, but yeah, bamboozled and behind the scenes tours are not what we are looking for.

I agree about wanting a live band, not recorded music with one live performer.  My only cruise on Carnival was a TA on the brand new Horizon,hated the theater and the karaoke effect, have not gone back. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2023 at 10:32 AM, swmichigan cruiser said:

If I remember correctly wasn't your son Carl Perkins on the Getaway? If so what is he doing now? MDQ was my favorite show on NCL but now Choir of Man beats it out slightly.

We were on the Getaway for its TransAtlantic cruise last year.  The mother of the singer who portrayed Jerry Lee Lewis was on board.  It seemed like she became friends with at least half the passengers on board, and he was "adopted" by all of us.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2023 at 10:36 AM, Seminole1975 said:

He is currently back on the Getaway playing Carl Perkins (and understudy Burn the Floor and in Broadway Unplugged) with his new wife who is playing Dyanne. (They met on the Getaway in MDQ!) We are going to see them in August. They decided to go on one more adventure since this contract goes to Europe. They had a hard time during COVID when all theater shut down for a year. They both tried other jobs to make do (due?) and decided that performing was what they loved best. They have some land jobs lined up after this contract is over. Thanks for asking.

Is James still playing Johnny Cash and is Jimmy still Jerry Lee Lewis?