Amsterdam airport to city...train pass???

We are staying three days ahead of a cruise out of Amsterdam and staying at an airport hotel......it has a shuttle to the airport or a bus stop really close that takes you to the airport .....but......if we want to go back and forth to the city for three days is there a pass for the train and do not really want to buy individual tickets .....it is apparently only a 20 min train ride to central station....thanks....

Well CruserBruce......when I have to pay almost  400 to 500 euros for a night it is no brainer for me to stay at the airport for way way way less and travel in and back by train.....I looked at staying in the city but got blown away with the prices.....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Well CruserBruce......when I have to pay almost  400 to 500 euros for a night it is no brainer for me to stay at the airport for way way way less and travel in and back by train.....I looked at staying in the city but got blown away with the prices.....

Personally, after traveling to many large cities of the world over my life, have found staying in the downtown or historic center has a significant value on its own. But, budgets sometimes get in the way.

As to passes, you can save about 15% (1 euro off a 5,90 fare) simply by buying your train tickets on line, in advance. We did.

13 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Thanks Bruce......notice I can get a three day pass for all trains, trams...etc....for about 18 euros...cheap transportation....

I think you must have misunderstood. There is no 3-day pass that costs €18 that covers all trains, trams etc in the Amsterdam area. 
If you stay at the airport, want to use the train and want to have a 3-day pass, your only option is the 3-day Amsterdam Travel ticket which costs €30 or the 3-day Amsterdam &Region Travel Ticket which costs €40,50.

Bit the bullet and booked a hotel in the Dam Square area .....I only going there once  might as well be where we can walk out of the hotel and see the sights rather than going on a train back and forth.....anyone stayed at the BW Dam square .....looked at google maps and I guess the best way there is to take the train to the central station and a tram back to the dam square area??? or a bus from the airport....any thoughts......looks like the hotel is in a no car area....just people walk streets

5 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Bit the bullet and booked a hotel in the Dam Square area .....I only going there once  might as well be where we can walk out of the hotel and see the sights rather than going on a train back and forth.....anyone stayed at the BW Dam square .....looked at google maps and I guess the best way there is to take the train to the central station and a tram back to the dam square area??? or a bus from the airport....any thoughts......looks like the hotel is in a no car area....just people walk streets

Indeed take the train  to Centraal Station and walk from there. It will be about 10/15 minutes depending how quick you walk 

12 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Bit the bullet and booked a hotel in the Dam Square area

I have been to Amsterdam a few times, and personally, I would never stay in the Dam Square area (unless you enjoy being among thousands and thousands of people). 

We really like the area around the museums, it is quieter, and walkable to anywhere you want to go (and if you prefer, there are trams).  The last time we were there, it was for a week and rented an apartment through  Dutch Master Apartments. 

The location was fantastic and it was great having extra space.  About a 5-minute walk away is a pedestrian area full of restaurants, including The Pantry (which is very popular--- you will need a  reservation). 

Our favorite restaurant in Amsterdam is Restaurant Max (for its rice table).  We go there every time we are in Amsterdam.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2023 at 5:34 PM, Kelownabccan said:

Bit the bullet and booked a hotel in the Dam Square area .....I only going there once  might as well be where we can walk out of the hotel and see the sights rather than going on a train back and forth.....anyone stayed at the BW Dam square .

I was looking at that hotel also.  I ended up booking a different one but if you can will you come back here and let us know how the hotel was?  It's not exactly on the Dam Square, but about a block off from it as I recall.  Lots of restaurants and shops around it.

Thanks,

~Nancy