Questions about cabins on Symphony

Leejnd4

I'm getting very close to making a booking decision for a 2024 cruise on Symphony. I've been following many of the discussions lately, but not all so if this has already been discussed, apologies.

First, I'm interested in those Single Guest Rooms. The price seems amazing! Is there any additional single supplement? Or do I truly get the whole cabin to myself for that price with no add-ons for being in it alone? Is there anything that makes those particular cabins less desirable than the Double Guest Rooms? Any other information specific to those SGRs?

Second, is there any information about the two accessible cabins - 5014 and 5016? According to the deck plans on the Crystal website, they appear to still be accessible cabins. My dear friend and frequent cruise companion Sandy is mobility challenged, and is considering doing this cruise with me. We had 5016 on our last Crystal cruise in 2019, and it was a great cabin - larger than the other double rooms with windows. I know that many changes have been made to the cabins...is there any info about those in particular?

Obviously nobody has seen the ships yet, but I know there's been lots of discussions and maybe Keith has some inside knowledge? 😉

LeeAnne, on this one I am not sure on either one.  Hopefully some who have booked the single guest rooms can at least answer your first question. On the second one I would recommend calling Crystal or if you have a TA having them check for you. to see if any changes were made to either one of them.  Clearly they show as larger than the single ones and more like what you would expect of a regular size room.

Keith

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keith1010 said:

LeeAnne, on this one I am not sure on either one.  Hopefully some who have booked the single guest rooms can at least answer your first question. On the second one I would recommend calling Crystal or if you have a TA having them check for you. to see if any changes were made to either one of them.  Clearly they show as larger than the single ones and more like what you would expect of a regular size room.

Keith

Thanks for your input Keith! Yes I'll have my TA ask some questions. I have noticed you seem to have the inside scoop way more than my TA, so I thought you might know something. 😉

Here's a question: do you know if the showers in the window cabins are walk-in vs tubs? If they are walk-in showers, Sandy can use them and we might just book two SGRs instead of the one accessible cabin. That's really her main requirement - a walk-in shower.

I traveled in the cabins they now describe as single. They are identical to the double guest rooms.

The price stated is the total cost. No additional amount!

The only negative is that they’re the cabins closest to the front of the ship. 
I, for one, have booked three cruises in the single cabin.

Can’t wait!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, doglover214 said:

I traveled in the cabins they now describe as single. They are identical to the double guest rooms.

The price stated is the total cost. No additional amount!

The only negative is that they’re the cabins closest to the front of the ship. 
I, for one, have booked three cruises in the single cabin.

Can’t wait!

Good to know! I personally don't have a problem with being in the bow. I know lots of people don't like the additional movement you get up there, but I live on a sailboat so I'm totally used to rolling with the sea. In fact, we're sitting here at a slip in Puerto Vallarta and a big yacht just went by in the channel, and we're rocking right now due to the wake! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

LeeAnne, not only are the single cabins in thr front of the ship, which doesn't bother me and i have one booked for the Sypmphony next May, but they are also above the showroom, so there could be noise from the band/orchestras but it shouldn't be too late, i hope!

50 minutes ago, happy cruising said:

LeeAnne, I believe they removed all the tubs in the window cabins to make them walk in showers. Your TA can confirm with Crystal. 

That's great! Yes, I'll have my TA confirm.

28 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

LeeAnne, not only are the single cabins in thr front of the ship, which doesn't bother me and i have one booked for the Sypmphony next May, but they are also above the showroom, so there could be noise from the band/orchestras but it shouldn't be too late, i hope!

Good point! Although I'm one of those people who LOVES the evening shows, regardless of how cheesy they are. 😁 So I will generally be IN the showroom during the shows. Plus I sleep with earplugs (a habit from being married to a snorer, which I've done for so long now that I can't even sleep without them). So I'm not generally bothered by noise at night, unless it's outrageously loud.

All in all this is sounding positive! Now I just need to make a choice between the two itineraries I'm considering.

2 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

It’s also when they rehearse. A friend was bothered when she was having an afternoon nap.

If you manage to get the first or second stateroom forward of the stairs/elevator, I think you’d be fine, but I’m not 100% sure. That would also cut back on the motion a bit.

• Like 1

Those "great deals" on the single cabins come with a price.  They are probably the least desirable locations on the ship, for a variety of reasons.  And besides the Galaxy, you also are closer to the anchor chain.

As the old Fram filter commercials would say, "pay me now or pay me later".  In one way or another, you pay for those "deals".

TANSTAAFL

• Like 1

17 hours ago, May B said:

It’s also when they rehearse. A friend was bothered when she was having an afternoon nap.

If you manage to get the first or second stateroom forward of the stairs/elevator, I think you’d be fine, but I’m not 100% sure. That would also cut back on the motion a bit.

I'm not worried at all about the motion. Given that I live on a sailboat, I'm used to lots of motion. In fact, I sleep better when we're really rockin'! 😉 I worry about how I'm gonna get to sleep when we eventually move back to being dirt dwellers.

The noise is a bit more concerning, but I'm hoping that earplugs will take care of that.

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Those "great deals" on the single cabins come with a price.  They are probably the least desirable locations on the ship, for a variety of reasons.  And besides the Galaxy, you also are closer to the anchor chain.

As the old Fram filter commercials would say, "pay me now or pay me later".  In one way or another, you pay for those "deals".

TANSTAAFL

You mentioned a "variety of reasons". Other than the motion of the bow (not a concern) and the noise from the Galaxy and anchor chain (a bit more of a concern, but probably manageable with earplugs)...are there any other reasons why these cabins are less desirable? I'm THISCLOSE to booking one, but if there's some downside I haven't considered, I definitely want to consider it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

20 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

I'm not worried at all about the motion. Given that I live on a sailboat, I'm used to lots of motion. In fact, I sleep better when we're really rockin'! 😉 I worry about how I'm gonna get to sleep when we eventually move back to being dirt dwellers.

The noise is a bit more concerning, but I'm hoping that earplugs will take care of that.

You mentioned a "variety of reasons". Other than the motion of the bow (not a concern) and the noise from the Galaxy and anchor chain (a bit more of a concern, but probably manageable with earplugs)...are there any other reasons why these cabins are less desirable? I'm THISCLOSE to booking one, but if there's some downside I haven't considered, I definitely want to consider it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Some (including me but I’m doing it anyway), don’t like the heads bobbing by on the promenade deck when they have the drapes open. Also, on the Symphony, there is no laundry room on 7. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Some (including me but I’m doing it anyway), don’t like the heads bobbing by on the promenade deck when they have the drapes open. Also, on the Symphony, there is no laundry room on 7. 

Hmm...yep, those are things to consider! I'll have to look at the deck plans a little closer.

3 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Does your friend like the motion, also?

26 minutes ago, May B said:

Does your friend like the motion, also?

She doesn't mind it! She does a LOT of cruises with her husband, multiple a year, and has never had a problem with motion or seasickness. The noise might be more of an issue for her, but she generally sleeps really well on cruises.

At this point I'm still not sure if she's coming...and if she does, we may just grab one of the accessible cabins on deck 5, as she has some mobility challenges. 

• Like 1