Ember on Vista

jjwoben1

34 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

After re-reading this, a thought occurred to me. Most steak restaurants offer several sauces (if desired) to complement the steaks. Does O not offer this? 

Rub or no rub, I'm not all that much about "just steak". But add a port wine reduction or a green peppercorn sauce and my interest level goes up.

I know Polo Grill offers 5 or so sauces. I don’t recall if was on Embers menu, but if not I’m sure if requested if have at Polo they would provide it. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

After re-reading this, a thought occurred to me. Most steak restaurants offer several sauces (if desired) to complement the steaks. Does O not offer this? 

Rub or no rub, I'm not all that much about "just steak". But add a port wine reduction or a green peppercorn sauce and my interest level goes up.

There is  a sample menu online   you can see the options 

& if they are not to your liking if you ask when ordering they might be able to get something you prefer

if not they have A1 or HP sauce onbord

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

In Polo Grill yes. Ember is not a steakhouse and there´s only a ribeye and a beef tenderloin on the menu. The menu does not mention any choice of sauces.

steamboats

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I know that they do in Polo.....all of the above and Bernaise....and I have also ordered Bernaise in the main Dining Room.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

I know that they do in Polo.....all of the above and Bernaise....and I have also ordered Bernaise in the main Dining Room.

The conversation is about Embers, not the GDR or PG. Different restaurants have different offerings. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 1:59 AM, pinotlover said:

The conversation is about Embers, not the GDR or PG. Different restaurants have different offerings. 

Yup.

And Oceania has that horrid rep for having a super-rigid policy against getting diners off-menu items, right?   😉

9 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Yup.

And Oceania has that horrid rep for having a super-rigid policy against getting diners off-menu items, right?   😉

Do you typically go to Red Ginger and try to order off the Toscana menu?  I suppose some do.

Of course, after all these years on Oceania, I’m still often amazed at how often we are the only people at the table in a Specialty ordering off the menu. So perhaps anything goes.

20 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Of course, after all these years on Oceania, I’m still often amazed at how often we are the only people at the table in a Specialty ordering off the menu. So perhaps anything goes.

I am no longer surprised when this is the case anywhere.  My wife is always amazed when I ask for, and receive anything beyond the ordinary.  Of course, I am originally a New Yorker, and maybe worse, my family were all furriers (this basically ended in the eighties.). I was taught that if you don't ask, you probably won't get.  I don't consider myself pushy but I know what I like, and what I want and I generally do not like the word "no."

Two examples.

A few years back my wifes company took us on a long weekend to Cancun.  An all inclusive but not one of the higher level ones.  First day at breakfast had a not great buffet.  I asked if I could get ham and eggs over easy.  Sure, no problem.  When mine came out all the people we were with were shocked.  By the end of the weekend everyone was custom ordering.

A few weeks back we had dinner at Del Frisco's for our anniversary.  I knew that pre covid my wife loved their onion rings (me too.). No longer on the menu.  I asked, and we got onion rings.  Happy wife, happy life.

Of course it doesn't always work out but I find that if I ask politely, and if they can make happen, most places will try.  Our limited experience on O left us feeling they would do their best as well.

• Like 1

I agree with WOOFA. Been on over 15 cruises on O and I like a salad with dinner in the GDR some evening's. I ask for a simple hearts of lettuce tomato and onion chopped with Russian dressing.Always accommodated 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are Toscana & want the duck & watermelon salad from RG it is unlikely to happen

If you want mashed potatoes from Polo or butter instead of olive oil for your bread  it can happen

If you have  a special diet food allergy if noted in advance  it will happen in any dining venue  (Terrace you need to ask at the time)

11 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Really think Embers could serve fries that are not the same as at the Terrace. My preference would be shoestring. I think we had them once in Jaques.

There are wonderful shoestring fries served in Polo as an accompaniment to the sliders.  They are the best fries found onboard.  I wish that this type was served elsewhere around the ship.

50 minutes ago, vlthom said:

There are wonderful shoestring fries served in Polo as an accompaniment to the sliders.  They are the best fries found onboard.  I wish that this type was served elsewhere around the ship.

OH wow...I am excited....you may be able to ask for them in other locations....

on our previous O cruises , they were nowhere to be found...

I am surprised they serve sliders in Polo....

thank you for this....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

I am surprised they serve sliders in Polo....

There's "sliders" and then there's the trio from PG: ground Kobe beef, lobster, and crab cake.

And --ahem-- the fries are "Allumettes", not just "shoestring"  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

True.  Oddly, when I ordered these, the waiter asked if I wanted a side and suggested other potatoes.  I told him that I wanted the fries that come with it.  He looked at me strangely and I pointed to the wording on the menu, though I don’t know the meaning of “allumettes” .  Regardless, they are very thin and crisp fried potato strings and are delicious.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

There's "sliders" and then there's the trio from PG: ground Kobe beef, lobster, and crab cake.

Well that explains it

Someone  does not eat food that they do not know what it is  & do not eat seafood  😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Matchstick potatoes. "Allumette" actually means "matchstick." Makes sense, eh?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Well that explains it

Someone  does not eat food that they do not know what it is  & do not eat seafood  😄

Yup that's me, no seafood and not anything I can't recognize.

Will order the slides with side of allumettes without the slides.

• Haha 3