Our boarding time is 3:40 - will luggage be delivered in time for dinner?

4 minutes ago, PolythenePam57 said:

Cruising Montreal to Boston on the Zaandam and our boarding time is 3:40. Will we get our luggage delivered in time to change for our 6:00 dinner at Pinnacle? Thanks.

We did that cruise Jun 3 and had a later boarding time. We were at the port before 11:00 and dropped off our luggage and then wondered around until 3:00 to board (just walked on). Had we wanted to, pretty sure we could have just boarded earlier (our cruise was not fully booked so not sure if that is why). Either way, I think if possible to drop your luggage off earlier and your luggage will likely be at your room before 4:00.

You are basically in the heart of things (Old Montreal) at the cruise port, so lots to see and do very close if you just want to arrive early bit can't board yet (but still drop your luggage off).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We did that cruise Jun 3 and had a later boarding time. We were at the port before 11:00 and dropped off our luggage and then wondered around until 3:00 to board (just walked on). Had we wanted to, pretty sure we could have just boarded earlier (our cruise was not fully booked so not sure if that is why). Either way, I think if possible to drop your luggage off earlier and your luggage will likely be at your room before 4:00.

You are basically in the heart of things (Old Montreal) at the cruise port, so lots to see and do very close if you just want to arrive early bit can't board yet (but still drop your luggage off).

I was impressed that our tour bus arrived at 11:30 on the third and we were basically on and in the state room in a half hour.  I had though we would have to hang about the ship for a while first, while waiting for the stateroom to be ready.  Pretty sure my bag was delivered by the time I got back from watching us leave from the skydeck. 

• Like 1

If you drop ff your luggage earlier like @rodndonna suggested above, most likely it will be waiting for you outside your cabin door. On embarkation day the MDR dressing code enforcement is more relaxed as they know some may not have their luggage in time to change.

• Like 1

Just off the Zaandam in Montreal yesterday.  We boarded in Boston last week, and arrived at the port at noon, dropped off luggage and were on the ship at 12:30.  (Our boarding group said 2:40, but there was no line and no one even looked at time, just made sure we all 3 had boarding passes.). Staterooms were all ready and luggage was in the cabin in time for us to freshen up before our 5 pm dining time.  (We did not choose 5pm, but we liked our table and our servers so stayed with it the entire week.).

We had a great trip with our ten year old granddaughter, who often had the entire swimming pool to herself.  Highly recommend two tours especially if you are traveling with kids…..Lulu Lobster boat in Bar Harbor was great, and the Bird Islands in Sydney was just amazing….

Barbara M. in NH

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Very likely your luggage will be there. Can anyone absolutely guarantee it? No. Historically,  a very high percentage has their luggage before the ship sails.

Only time my luggage was not delivered early enough for dinner dressing was when it was sent to the "naughty room".  Not my fault of course - it was the DW,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Only time my luggage was not delivered early enough for dinner dressing was when it was sent to the "naughty room".  Not my fault of course - it was the DW,

There will always be that 1 percent.  That's why I said "a very high percentage ".

• Like 1

If changing for dinner really important to you, maybe pack that change of clothes in a carryon?  Agree dress code lax first night, but if it is a special dinner for you, maybe make sure you have what you want to wear.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, erdufylla said:

Is it still called “throwing someone under the bus” when you’re on a ship? 😂

Truely her fault.  She packed a Ulu knife purchased on the previous day's cruise on a different HAL ship in MY luggage.  Security did not like this, even though it was clearly marked Holland America and in the original packaging.

52 minutes ago, badtwin said:

If changing for dinner really important to you, maybe pack that change of clothes in a carryon?  Agree dress code lax first night, but if it is a special dinner for you, maybe make sure you have what you want to wear.

I agree.  It's not like you have to crawl through dirt to get on the ship.  I wear what I have on the first night for dinner.  It is nice clothing, not a t-shirt and shorts.

• Like 1

Except for the time I wasn't brought aboard until after 4:00 PM, I have always been unpacked by 4:00, or shortly thereafter. 
Since I am disabled, it always takes me longer than when I was able-bodied to unpack, too.