Best beach to snorkel from?

vaindioux

Hi

We are doing an excursion first but would like to snorkel off a beach after.

Pay a beach pass is fine but not looking to drink or eat all day. Snorkeling is the goal.

I do understand seaweed can be a problem so maybe someone knows a good spot.

Thxs a lot

Pat

It will depend on the sargassum. If you look at a satellite image of the bay you will see the areas where the reef is closer to shore, northern end i think. In some places the reef is at quite a distance.

Not sure what excursion you have decided on but I thought I read Bacalar? You will need long port hours to allow snorkeling as well and I would think it would have to be from shore as opposed to from a boat. You may have to compromise on one or the other.

There used to be ship excursions to a beach north of the cruise port closer to the Sian Ka'an biosphere area. That would be the better beach snorkeling.  But as said above, there are vendors along the malecon that do dives and snorkels off shore, which is the best way to go.

If you don't have the time for either, and still want to go to the beaches in Mahahual, then go to the northern end of the malecon (closest end to the cruise port.) around Blue Kay and Tequilla Beach but south of the lighthouse.  Possible to see some smaller fish and sea life.