Sky Suite PP/PD versus Aqua etc? Millennium

zitsky

I appreciate all the advice.  I believe in doing my own research and also asking for opinions.

I was planning to book tomorrow but my TA is going to Hawaii and she called me this afternoon.  I could have called her coworker tomorrow but it was easier to talk to someone with experience.

I did a spreadsheet showing how much we’ve paid for cabins before pp/pd.  Also how far out we booked cruises.  It showed me this cruise was not out of the ordinary.  I factored in OBC.

I decided to put a deposit on a Millennium Sky Suite for the January 2, 2025 sailing.  It’s not a perfect ship but it’s a refurb and should be nice.  We are looking forward to be in the Retreat again, flaws and all.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

I appreciate all the advice.  I believe in doing my own research and also asking for opinions.

I was planning to book tomorrow but my TA is going to Hawaii and she called me this afternoon.  I could have called her coworker tomorrow but it was easier to talk to someone with experience.

I did a spreadsheet showing how much we’ve paid for cabins before pp/pd.  Also how far out we booked cruises.  It showed me this cruise was not out of the ordinary.  I factored in OBC.

I decided to put a deposit on a Millennium Sky Suite for the January 2, 2025 sailing.  It’s not a perfect ship but it’s a refurb and should be nice.  We are looking forward to be in the Retreat again, flaws and all.

I researched the Millennium quite a bit before booking it and it sounded wonderful. I think you'll love it. I am looking so forward to our upcoming cruise in a Sky Suite. We board two weeks from today. If there are any specific pictures you want, please let me know and I will try to grab them for you. We are in an accessible suite, #8127, so not a regular suite, but still...can get pics around the Retreat for you. We are doing Alaska tho, not the same route as what you'll be on. Congrats on making your decision!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sigyn said:

I researched the Millennium quite a bit before booking it and it sounded wonderful. I think you'll love it. I am looking so forward to our upcoming cruise in a Sky Suite. We board two weeks from today. If there are any specific pictures you want, please let me know and I will try to grab them for you. We are in an accessible suite, #8127, so not a regular suite, but still...can get pics around the Retreat for you. We are doing Alaska tho, not the same route as what you'll be on. Congrats on making your decision!

I would be curious what you think of the storage situation.  I have already seen pics of most of the cabin including the bathroom.  Is there really space under the sink and is it usable for small items?  Also I see a cabinet next to the closet but I haven't seen any pics to show whether it actually opens.  The pics I've seen make it look like it does but only one person mentioned it.  I believe we'll be fine and I've already shared pics with my husband.  But I would appreciate more if you have the time to take any pics.

At the risk of having someone jump on me for being "indecisive", the only negative was the view of the lifeboats, which as someone pointed out is only a problem if you look down.  But I decided I can live with it as I found a cabin with minimal blocked view, really no blocked view.  It's just that I'm used to being in other cabins where you were higher and didn't see anything except the outside.

Cruising is always a trade off.  This was no different.  My husband seems happy about going back to Malaysia and I am happy for him.  I researched other cruise lines but they didn't offer the same combination of small suite with all the perks like Luminae and the Retreat.  This is only our second time in a suite.  We really enjoyed the Beyond.  I liked having a real balcony.

My partner was at first a little nervous about booking so far out, until I ran the numbers and showed him we have done it before, several times.  And "far out" means 18 months.

Edited by zitsky

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I would be curious what you think of the storage situation.  I have already seen pics of most of the cabin including the bathroom.  Is there really space under the sink and is it usable for small items?  Also I see a cabinet next to the closet but I haven't seen any pics to show whether it actually opens.  The pics I've seen make it look like it does but only one person mentioned it.  I believe we'll be fine and I've already shared pics with my husband.  But I would appreciate more if you have the time to take any pics.

At the risk of having someone jump on me for being "indecisive", the only negative was the view of the lifeboats, which as someone pointed out is only a problem if you look down.  But I decided I can live with it as I found a cabin with minimal blocked view, really no blocked view.  It's just that I'm used to being in other cabins where you were higher and didn't see anything except the outside.

Cruising is always a trade off.  This was no different.  My husband seems happy about going back to Malaysia and I am happy for him.  I researched other cruise lines but they didn't offer the same combination of small suite with all the perks like Luminae and the Retreat.  This is only our second time in a suite.  We really enjoyed the Beyond.  I liked having a real balcony.

My partner was at first a little nervous about booking so far out, until I ran the numbers and showed him we have done it before, several times.  And "far out" means 18 months.

I think you are over stressing.  Your itinerary has only 3 seas days and all the rest are long port days.  You probably will not even use your balcony that much.  As for storage minimize what you plan to bring if that is a concern.  I have never on any ship had an issue with storage, and I sailed on Millie years ago in Asia for 14 nights in an Inside room.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I would be curious what you think of the storage situation.

It depends on your personal travel habits. I've stayed in a Sky Suite on M-class. Though storage is sparse, it's more than enough for my wife and me. I can't imagine packing enough to run out of storage space. YMMV

• Like 1

The bathroom storage space is a SS on Millennium is adequate, just oddly placed.

The shelf under the sink unit works but you might want to pack a foldable storage bin as there is nothing to stop small stuff rolling around.

The lack of any other shelves is irritating but we managed.

12 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

The bathroom storage space is a SS on Millennium is adequate, just oddly placed.

The shelf under the sink unit works but you might want to pack a foldable storage bin as there is nothing to stop small stuff rolling around.

My toiletry bag unfolds and hangs on the hook of the bathroom door. Most of my "stuff" stays in there for the duration of the cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I can't imagine packing enough to run out of storage space.

Sadly, when we are driving rather than flying to the port of embarkation we tend to exercise a lack of self-control when stuffing the cases.  I even bring additional skinny hangers.  Half the garments come home unworn. 😄

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

My toiletry bag unfolds and hangs on the hook of the bathroom door. Most of my "stuff" stays in there for the duration of the cruise.

I like this.  I used to have one.  Just wore out.  I may get another one.

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

I have one from LLBean that I have used for years.

Laura

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Zitsky's humor can be lost on some, but not me.

“Are you seriously worried about a warranty on <fill in random item here>?”

Well yes.  Yes I am.  And I’m not sure why the previous poster felt the need to ask.  Apparently getting your money’s worth is something horrible.  A character flaw.  I guess some people just throw things away.

You have to pinch pennies if you book cruises every 12 months.  

Edited by zitsky

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I heard they have a good warranty?

Not as good as it used to be. Now returns for any reason for one year. Used to be anytime no matter how long. Their products are pricey but good quality.

Laura

On 6/18/2023 at 3:00 PM, zitsky said:

Thanks.  Millie is not perfect but it might work for us.  I don’t understand some of the design changes that they made that appear to give you less storage.

Did you use the Retreat sun deck at all considering your location?  Since there is no bar I wonder if anyone provided drink service?

My partner doesn’t understand that if you want a specific cabin, you need to jump on it.  Sure maybe it goes on sale but that happens.  Maybe we can get a price reduction before final payment.

Hi @zitsky! Just off the Summit and, after it was "Hopperized" we did notice a loss of storage. However, if you pack a few expandable storage cubes, it makes it very doable. In fact, 3 women for 10 days managed nicely. Have fun planning!

8 hours ago, Mark_T said:

We actually used the marble tray that held the "Hopper crap"... it held everything beautifully and cleared counter space!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LisaLeone said:

We actually used the marble tray that held the "Hopper crap"... it held everything beautifully and cleared counter space!

So what happened to the Hopper crap?   Where did it go?  And where the storage cubes hanging or did you put them somewhere?

Edited by zitsky

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

So what happened to the Hopper crap?   Where did it go?  And where the storage cubes hanging or did you put them somewhere?

The Hopper crap lived on the balcony. The cubes were placed on the open shelves that replaced the drawers. I think my sister grabbed some at the dollar tree or the like. 

243480B2-E30E-4AA4-ABFB-7F651EF3C694.png

On 6/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, Sigyn said:

no, it was just a guarantee sky suite on the Millennium. No specific type of sky suite. They ended up giving me an accessible sky suite. I actually knew that was very likely going to be my cabin when I booked because that was all that was left, other than aqua sky suites, when I changed my cabin from a family SV (that big one on the corner with the giant deck) to a guarantee sky suite. I know there's an issue with the water coming out of the shower stall, but I was okay with that since it put me into the Retreat for what I considered a really good price - it was around $2K more to go into the guarantee suite over what I was paying for the SV and for that $2K I also received the premium drink package, premium Wi-Fi, hundreds more in OBC (was it $900? I forget now the exact amount. I already had some OBC. I might have more than that in OBC total.) and the other suite benefits. 

IMO the sky suite perks, such as the restaurant and lounge, etc well worth it.  If these things aren't important, take what you can comfortably afford and want to spend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

IMO the sky suite perks, such as the restaurant and lounge, etc well worth it.  If these things aren't important, take what you can comfortably afford and want to spend.

On E class an accessible Sky suite is niiiice because they figured out the shower drainage problem.  Plus so much space.

• Like 1