Hurricane Season

BecciBoo

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Or that storm goes in a completely different direction with no threat to land

Yeah, it's way too far out. Some models have it turning north before it gets to anything.

3 minutes ago, melancholygypsy said:

Figured that's what may happen, hoping the weather is still not bad in those areas.

Your cruise concerns would be if the storm's path and timing affect embarkation/disembarkation (including your ability to get to the port).

Otherwise, if you can get on the ship, you'll still have a cruise, just your itinerary may be slightly or vastly different

• Like 1

We have booked several last-minute cruises over the past six years, to avoid being on land if a Hurricane Warning gets posted and we have to do a mandatory evacuation. Each time we have cruised, the storm stays away from South Florida, so I have been telling people that we will keep them safe because we will be cruising most of September. But I never expected this to happen in June! 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Your cruise concerns would be if the storm's path and timing affect embarkation/disembarkation (including your ability to get to the port).

Otherwise, if you can get on the ship, you'll still have a cruise, just your itinerary may be slightly or vastly different

Good info, I actually do appreciate it. The Royal site doesn't give all that much info on this kind of stuff.

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

We have booked several last-minute cruises over the past six years, to avoid being on land if a Hurricane Warning gets posted and we have to do a mandatory evacuation. Each time we have cruised, the storm stays away from South Florida, so I have been telling people that we will keep them safe because we will be cruising most of September. But I never expected this to happen in June! 

I sure hope your luck holds. We still haven't gotten our house repaired from damage caused by Hurricane Ian. We need a break!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

I sure hope your luck holds. We still haven't gotten our house repaired from damage caused by Hurricane Ian. We need a break!

My friend lived with me for 5 weeks last fall while her son fixed up her house for her.  My neighbors are still trying to get thier's done

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yeah, it's way too far out. Some models have it turning north before it gets to anything.

Do consider that -- even if you avoid the hurricane -- you may have a rainy cruise.  Consider it in your packing. 

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

... But I never expected this to happen in June! 

What's really concerning is that its name is BRET, which means we've already passed the "A" name.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

What's really concerning is that its name is BRET, which means we've already passed the "A" name.

Tropical Storm Arlene was around the first few days of June and didn't amount to anything.

Hurricane season does officially start on June 1st although the nature of Bret is a rarity.

2 hours ago, melancholygypsy said:

Lets hope, on a cruise to eastern Caribbean out of Miami on Saturday. Wondering what will happen

We've had a western Caribbean become Eastern, an Eastern Caribbean become Western, a three day stop in Bermuda become a 28 hour stop, a seven-night cruise become 10-night cruise, lots of changes in itineraries all due to weather.  But luckily never had a cruise cancelled.  I guess those on the cruise following the one that was extended 3 nights (Oasis 2017)  have a different story. 

The Captain will likely NOT sail into a storm.   

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We've had a western Caribbean become Eastern, an Eastern Caribbean become Western, a three day stop in Bermuda become a 28 hour stop, a seven-night cruise become 10-night cruise, lots of changes in itineraries all due to weather.  But luckily never had a cruise cancelled.  I guess those on the cruise following the one that was extended 3 nights (Oasis 2017)  have a different story. 

M

Thanks for the helpful information, appreciate it!

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Luckily not many cruise ships sailed out of Pennsylvania that year.

Not 1972, but I did have a cruise that sailed out of Pennsylvania impacted by a tropical storm.

Nordic Empress in Oct 2001 - spent an extra day in Bermuda due to Tropical Storm Karen stranding us at King's Wharf.

23 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

The Captain will likely NOT sail into a storm.   

M

We were on the Oasis cruise after yours that turned into a 4 day but we got refunded the entire fare so that worked for us  AND we got to sail on an Oasis class ship with a lot less people.  I want to say there were less than 2000 onboard

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

And did you see after Bret there's already a possible "CINDY" being watched? She's the orange "X" on the National Hurricane Center site map below 🤪 

Hopefully both recurve and don't affect anything (like us in FL lol). The Pros over on Storm2K that I look at seem to be pretty "iffy" right now, which is a good thing. I usually don't get excited until they do 😉

If newbies haven't seen it yet, CC has a thread here called the "Hurricane Zone" so cruisers can keep up with anything that might affect their sailings. @Pelican Bill will get busier as the season progresses:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/305-hurricane-zone/

image.png

13 hours ago, molly361 said:

We were on the Oasis cruise after yours that turned into a 4 day but we got refunded the entire fare so that worked for us  AND we got to sail on an Oasis class ship with a lot less people.  I want to say there were less than 2000 onboard

They offered a great deal for us to stay on board.   We were B2B with the "non hurricane"  cruise prior so we were already on board for 17 nights.  They couldn't guarantee the same cabin (I think the offers were all guarantee categories), we didn't want to pack up and unpack for 4 days, so we decided not to take the offer.  

Glad it worked out for you.