Buying alcohol at ports

boobear1

I know that if you buy alcohol at one of the ports they take it from you and give it back the last night of the cruise.  My question is what is the best way to transport it on your flight home?  Do they box it for you on the ship? Can you carry it onto the plane?  Any helpful advise would be appreciated.

Can't carry it on the plane unless it's a checked bag... What I normally do is find a nice empty cardboard box and use my dirty clothes as "padding "... I can usually find a box in port, or ask a bartender on board for one... Or, if you're checking a bag anyway, stick it in there amongst your stuff...

If you buy a bottle on board they will give you a nice box for it.  If you ask nicely, they will give you box that holds 2 to 4 bottles, even though you only bought one.

One word of caution.  I, your humble servant, bought 2 bottles on King George V at the duty free in Grand Cayman.  T'was a deal at $770 each.  Resold the Chinese New Year one for $1,200.  But that's another story.  Anyway, I was terrified they would get stolen or broken, I was affixed to the window at the airport trying to see if my bag was being loaded, etc.  They both made it home.  I wrapped them in dirty clothes, as dirty clothes are everywhere after a cruise.

Another reason not to fly with just a carry-on for "liberation". Last time, I found a bottle I really really wanted (and was not available in the states). I was very glad I was able to bring it home. I always bring my wine carrier to the cruise as I'm transporting wine there. On the way back, it can carry a new bottle if I need it to.