11:00 Flight from Miami. Doable?

westcoastBC

10 minutes ago, westcoastBC said:

I am looking at a flight out of Miami to Vancouver on a Saturday departing at 11:00 . Will I make it?

Probably..  but personally, I wouldn't schedule any outbound flight from a returning cruise before 12pm, but that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would have no issue booking 11 am flight from Miami from Port of Miami.  The important step is to walk on the ship early as allowed. Usually between 7am and 7:30 am.  If you cannot self assist you need to tell the ship you beed group 1.  
if you walk off you should be off ship and through customs before 8 and you have cab ride of less than 30 min. You should be at the airport by 8;45 and most likely before 8:30.  

i arrived in Mia last year twice and had flights out of FLL before 11 and made it with plenty of time to spare.  

just remember if the ship is late for some reason you might have to reschedule your flight.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Yes, you can make it.

* Just have a Plan B.:classic_smile:

This. Always have a Plan B and understand what changing your flight is going to cost because the airline won’t treat it like a flight delay or cancellation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

This. Always have a Plan B and understand what changing your flight is going to cost because the airline won’t treat it like a flight delay or cancellation. 

I'm not really sure what a 'Plan B' might entail, other than trying to get re-booked on another (later) flight after you miss your original one. But that goes without saying, and can be a major hassle, not to mention potential additional expense.

Not much of a Plan B IMHO.. The alternative is to book a later outbound flight in the first place, which allows ample time to make the flight, and considerably reduces the need to even have a so-called Plan B.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

We recently walked off at 7:20, were at the airport thru security by 8:15.  YMMV

One's mileage will always vary if there are ANY glitches in the process from debarking the ship to arrival at the airport for a flight. The potential for unexpected delays in the process is real, and can really mess up the perfect scenario.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, westcoastBC said:

I am looking at a flight out of Miami to Vancouver on a Saturday departing at 11:00 . Will I make it?

You should arrive 3 hours before your flight when flying out of Miami.  So you should be at the airport at 8:00 a.m. so I say no, you won't make it.

15 hours ago, volk904 said:

I would have no issue booking 11 am flight from Miami from Port of Miami.  The important step is to walk on the ship early as allowed. Usually between 7am and 7:30 am.  If you cannot self assist you need to tell the ship you beed group 1.  
if you walk off you should be off ship and through customs before 8 and you have cab ride of less than 30 min. You should be at the airport by 8;45 and most likely before 8:30.  

i arrived in Mia last year twice and had flights out of FLL before 11 and made it with plenty of time to spare.  

just remember if the ship is late for some reason you might have to reschedule your flight.  

"You should be at the airport by 8;45 and most likely before 8:30"

This is the key point in this entire scenario..'should be'.. My advice is to always build a reasonable amount of wiggle room into your departure timeline, which will help mitigate any unforeseen hiccups in the process. 

Did 6 Cruises out of Miami last yr, on 3 of them Self Assist didnt even start until 725-750. Even Cruises out of Port Everglades on non-Oasis Class have had similar experiences many times, then getting to FLL around Holidays multiple times Lines out the Door. Last time was Dec 23 and they were telling some that missed Flight they "might" be home by Xmas. If Booking Early Flights as said above have a plan B like make sure Airline your on has additional later Flights in day just in case, likely cost you $$$ but hopefully they are not Full if needed. I don't mind wait at Airport and normally Fly out between 1:50-2:30 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, westcoastBC said:

Easy. No problem. That is when we try to book on every Miami cruise. 

Absolutely no need to be at MIA 3 hours before flights. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

a57c5847aaeb0e5c7b6ff5b6ebddbf2ebdd9bbb4ea746837f6dfa2ea8a9c150e.jpg.75f196bab3d508d48ac239fd4fed79e8.jpg

On 6/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, BirdTravels said:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 95south said:

Not recommended. Get in a day ahead of time. 

While not clear, it seems to be talking about on disembarking day.

On 6/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, BirdTravels said:

Yes. We had previously done like 1-3PM departures and ended up spending hours waiting around at the airport as we got off ship and to airport with 0 delays. Sucked to just sit and wait for hours.

Our last cruise in Dec out of Miami we had an 8:45am flight (livin on the edge!). Did self disembark which was delayed like 15 minutes but then straight through customs and in taxi and at airport at like 7:45-8ish. Straight through security and right onto the plane that was already boarding. Think was less than hour had passed from leaving ship to being on plane. My wife would say never again, to stressful!

but when it works, it's amazing and beats the hours of waiting haha!